OT: Print over multiple pages in Acrobat Reader?

I don't think so, the software itself has to support "tiling".

In my younger days, when I was inclined to such machinations, I've been known to write DOS batch files that...

(1) printed to a PostScript file (requires a PostScript print driver) (2) scaled 4X (3) shifted origins for each of 4 copies (4) laserjet printed each of the 4 copies

then tape together

This was so long ago, ~20 years, that I was using OrCAD for DOS ;-)

I'll look around and see if I still have the batch files.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Joerg, See...

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: For Joerg (S.E.D) - OrCAD-BatchFiles.zip Message-ID:

Maybe there's something there that'll be useful to you.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hello Folks,

Is there a way to print a page over two sheet in Adobe Acrobat Reader (the free edition)?

Sometimes the print on a schematic becomes too fine even for reading with glasses. In my CAD SW I can print over as many pages as I want and tape them together. In Adobe I looked up and down and used Google. Couldn't find how to do it there.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Probably Acrobat Reader doesn't. Pretty sad considering that most any CAD program can do that. In Eagle you just set the number of sheets you want a page to print on and it does the rest for you automatically.

That's pretty elaborate. But in DOS days many things were so much easier.

Thanks. I'll check it out when it has arrived at the SBC server in S.F. On binary groups that takes a while.

Right now I am scrambling to find something that allows me to read the freaking small numbers on 0402 resistors. Just got a design back and they seem to have mis-stuffed some things. The microscope won't get in there and my eyes didn't become better over time. The PDF I can at least read with a magnifier but the board is another matter. Oh man...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I read in sci.electronics.design that Joerg wrote (in ) about 'OT: Print over multiple pages in Acrobat Reader?', on Fri, 9 Sep 2005:

I am quite short-sighted (-3.5) and I don't have much focusing now, so I have variable-focus lenses. To get the best range, their minimum focus distance is set at about 60 cm, so I take them off for through-hole PCB work. For SMD, I have a pair of +2 reading glasses, which makes an enormous difference. I also have x4 and x7 loupes for reading 0402 numbers, finding 1 mm screws etc.

You may not need as much as +2, although someone I know swears by his +4 lenses and he isn't as short-sighted as I am! I don't actually see soldering iron burns on his nose, but I wonder why not.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

If you can convert to PostScript and can run perl, you might also see

which acts like steps 2 and 3 of the above but with 2x scaling, via (eg) pscale -s 2 t.ps > tLL.ps pscale -s 2 -y -11 t.ps > tUL.ps pscale -s 2 -x -8.2 t.ps > tLR.ps pscale -s 2 -x -8.2 -y -11 t.ps > tUR.ps

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

Install an Apple Laserwriter printer (from your system CD), but select "Print to File".

I chose Apple LaserWriter II NTX v51.8 for its features.

Then you can "print" from anything.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I had one episode where I grabbed the iron without looking up. Never did that again... "ssssst" is NOT a pleasant sound ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I have posted an updated zip file on A.B.S.E with the "scaling" headers.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I probably should look over those header files myself. Probably some goodies I can adapt to modern times ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hello James,

Thanks, but AFAIK Acrobat doesn't export the old PS format anymore and I didn't really want to create a larger science project. It does print an image file to the printer though and allows printing to file. So, maybe here is the ticket. Export image and then print it out with an imaging program that has a real print routine. I'll have to try.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello John,

I keep "1.5" glasses in the lab for reading fine print and another "3" pair for SMT soldering. Works well but not down to below 0402. But I found my old stamp collector's loupe even though I am not a collector. That one has a U-frame with a square cutout to glide it over a flat object and you can also unfold it. Works great. Now the 0402 lettering appears as if it was a billboard. Holding it steady ain't easy though so long term I'll look for a camera-monitor solution.

A friend used to test whether a soldering iron was hot enoug by licking it. If a brief hiss could be heard that meant it was ready.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

If you can get Ghost Script for your system, you can convert PS to a high res .PNG and look at that in PMView. You can even print pieces.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Hello Jim,

Once an engineer across from me let of an awful yell. He needed glasses for close-up solder work just like I do now. Then he'd place the Weller back into the coil without looking. Never missed.

Someone had taken a scope for calibration and rearranged the desk ever so slightly. The engineer subconsciously placed the iron back where the coil used to be. But now that happened to be the place where he had just put down his styrofoam cup full of hot coffee. It flooded the desk, the prototype and his pants. Ouch...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

So, do you now boast a burnt-in "Weller" tattoo inside your hand?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

That is a good idea. Just installed it and the system found this driver on its hard drive. Will try it out but now I have to head back to the "solder iron parlor" to get a proto board ready for a client.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I read in sci.electronics.design that Joerg wrote (in ) about 'OT: Print over multiple pages in Acrobat Reader?', on Sat, 10 Sep 2005:

For that, you DO need lead-free solder. And a weekly sanity test!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

More proof that there IS a God!

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hello Jim,

Thank you. I'll have to wait until it percolates through to my server. a.b.s.e. sometimes takes a few hours for posts with attached binaries but it will come.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'OT: Print over multiple pages in Acrobat Reader?', on Sat, 10 Sep 2005:

The first guy I worked for at ITT was an elderly production engineer who had very nearly collected a Darwin award twice. The first was when he was an apprentice; he fell over and stuck a 10 inch fettling iron into his femoral artery. The second was when he took the handle of his soldering iron apart and then grabbed it to see it was getting hot - it was. So he had one handful of 240 V 50 Hz and the other of 300 degrees C.