OT: Play regular MPEG on a DVD Player?

No, not really. That money is coming the old fashioned way, through VCs and other investors. What money the government has is being thrown at the big three (hence, this bailout!) hoping that they will go against their own interests and build one.

The real reason we don't have an electric car today, besides the fact that the battery technology isn't there for what everyone assumes is the 'base' vehicle, is all the crazy regulations there are for putting out a new automobile. All the different (and contradictory!) safety, environmental and construction requirements, millions of dollars in testing REQUIRED on a new vehicle, and the paperwork make it impossible to just put together a car and sell it.

The big three have all the infrastructure to do this BS in house, while a start up will either have to build it themselves, or pay big bucks to lease it from the big three.

As for the battery issue, that is because, for some crazy reason, people assume that an electric vehicle HAS to have 300 miles of range to be viable. It probably isn't true, but it has sure helped the big three to have a good excuse for not doing anything for ten years...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I understand that you're the "rich" and will get a "fair" tax increase, but I'm looking forward to Jan. 21 (I'll give Osama bin Biden inauguration day to goof off) for my "middle class tax cut". They promised the rest of us $3000 of your money. After all, it's only "fair".

Reply to
krw

Which is where it should come from.

The "bailout" has nothing to do with cars. It's all about bailing out the UAW.

Hmm, you think an electric car is viable when "battery technology isn't there"?

The rest of BS is obviously possible since there have been "new" auto companies in the past few decades.

Yes, and 300mi isn't enough. I'd want a daily range of more like

1k Miles before even thinking about an electric.

Any more conspiracies you'd like to float?

Reply to
krw

Actually HDMI is so different from either PAL NTSC or SECAM that those differences disappear. It is damn near as different as SMPTE SD-SDI.

If you are really interested i have a co-worker that does conversions and DVD mastering on the side.

Reply to
JosephKK

True, but the media owners have been so bamboozled by the anti-piracy vendors that they believe the "you must control" your media "property" lock stock and barrel. Piracy has never really been that real of a problem, just outrageous prices for media with fallible, patented protection mechanisms. The SBA pretends to be the "little guys friend", but really caters to paranoid bean counting fools in megamedia.

Reply to
JosephKK

Hmm, so maybe I should write stuff in CD-RW (which the player supposedly takes for short video clips) and try until something sticks.

Thanks, Joseph, but I am actually thinking about just using a laptop. The TV has a VGA input. Of course, standard VGA has two no-connect pins instead of putting the audio on there .

So it'll be the usual cable mess. Oh well, done that before. Just curl it all up into a ball behind the TV when not in use.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I too enjoyed the Woz story

Do you play bridge? Assuming you are in the US

JosephKK

No, we haven't moved up into that league yet. Mostly rummy or whatever people around here are familiar with. Also rummycub (the tile game), Mexican train, yahtzee, just the more simple kinds of games.

Sometimes it's good to just leave the TV off, tune into a good country or bluegrass station and play a game. Lately pretty much every good movie on TV fell apart because the DTV signal croaked. Not much fun there. I believe the industry could shoot themselves into the foot because many kids around here watch video only on the Internet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

What part of small don't you understand? 750 million annual business is not small. You as an independent is a small business. Hello. Wall street pays exaggerated attention to multibillion dollar business, because that is where they think they can extract the most money.

Reply to
JosephKK

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ... They even

In that case it should not be the region code lockout but something not quite right with the MPEG stream from the viewpoint of a domestic US only (ROW does not exist) DVD player. In Europe we like our DVD player hardware to be as promiscuous as possible (manufacturers lock down the region but plenty of guys exist to unlock it).

Your best bet is German DVD and MPEG manipulation software which is among the best at examining transport streams and determining their detailed characterisitcs. Some of the tools include transcoders that will convert transport stream to programme stream and vice-versa (relative timing vs absolute timing). It could be something like this that is causing your DVD player to baulk at playing European encoded material. Do no harm to ask for advice on the video groups they will know the best way to make it work with least effort.

I am told ProjectX written in Java is quite good at this sort of thing (try it at your own risk). It should at least give you enough diagnostics to see what is different between things that will play and those that won't.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

in

.

Because it is true.

Although you might be more than a bit surprised how big a "small" enterprise can be.

One I worked for a long time ago in the UK managed to grow by spinning off new companies as logical franchises to each stay inside the legal parameters of a "small" company so as to qualify for maximum tax benefit and grants. I think the numbers then were something like under

100 people and =A310M turnover but those old limits have changed. Various national SME business definitions are summarised online at:

The US definition of a small business is particularly opaque and worthy of Brussels bureaucrats. Every US industry code has its own definition of "small" and they vary considerably!

bleofsize/index.html

The US Small Business Administration bureaucracy looks particularly Kafkaesque to me. YMMV

The EEC also defines a micro-enterprise with

Reply to
Martin Brown

Ok, just as general request - does anyone make MP3 Encoder chips? I can find lots of decoders, but haven't found encoder chips yet...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Not enough market, it's usually done on PC architectures or DSP. Maybe this helps:

We just bought a Marantz PMD580 recorder for church and I bet it contains a DSP for encoding. It was freaking expensive at around $1000 but I guess that is also because of the tiny market for this stuff. Works like a champ but it causes some EMI that I've got to get to the ground of.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Boy, I don't know where to start to answer that snide set of comments!

Ok, yes the EC is viable, as I explained below. The PTB have set unrealistic standards for such a vehicle, such as 300+ range, requiring a fillup (recharge) time of five minutes, and other similiar requirements to make sure that they will have a difficult time of it.

Ok, what 'new' american car company have you seen in the last decade? I can't think of one that wasn't actually an entity of the big three?

As for conspiracies, they are many. The five minute fill up requirement, the re-classification of three wheeled electric motorcycles as no longer eligible to be a high occupancy vehicle, etc.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Hmm.... I'd like >=100 mile range and

Reply to
Joel Koltner

What better answer is there when you post dreams in a non-fiction group.

No, it's not viable because your assumed technology doesn't exist. Not even close.

Why does a "new" car company have to be "American"? What is an "American" company? One that needs money from the treasury to be "viable"?

Can you artificiality limit counter-arguments in any more ways? How about "new", "American", "car", "companies", that "make only blue cars"?

I thought you *might* want to talk about something remotely relevent to the original discussion.

Reply to
krw

Hey, Starbucks could use that to compensate for all the shops they had to close. Just add a WLAN hotspot and it might work. Of course, then you'd have all those caffeine-wired drivers back on the road.

Try Nevada. I remember one trip where the needle was finally under 1/4 and then the town on the map turned out to be abandoned decades ago. Yeah, there was a Chevron sign next to the dirt road. But totally rusted out and squeaking in the wind. That's when I began to worry ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, like I said, we got the Tascam CDSSR-1, but then the old product idea went thinking....

The only hits I did see were for TI DSP software, so I guess that no one is doing this in chip form, then.

Back to the drawing board... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

gas

buy

at

Oregon

I coasted most of the way from Springerville, AZ, down the mountain to Socorro, NM, one time in the middle of the night... seems gas stations in Springerville closed at 9PM :-(

...Jim Thompson

 Think things are bad now?  Wait until Obama "takes care" of you.

Ok, but don't saddle the wrong horse there. I don't think it would be possible to recoup the NRE of a MP3 encoder chip design. When I was young everybody recorded stuff. Nowadays the kids just download iPod tunes and the only ones left to record anything are secret services, rock bands and churches. Digital voice recorders don't really count because they use rock-bottom quality sound.

I'd just take a $5-$10 DSP and be done with it WRT hardware. The remained is "just software" :-)