OT: Petrol consumption

And just how did you make it to 50+ ??

Signed: 60+ ;)

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Deer at 50+? What G's?

*NONE* noticeable. My employer will attest that I'm an "expert" in "deer vs van" :{ [ Dodge Caravan, Dodge Ram Van, Dodge Sprinter ] (~7 total)
Reply to
Richard Owlett

That was 1974 cars, You unplugged the sensor connector under the seat. In 75 Chevy had an interesting little quirk on the smaller cars. When you unplugged the seat belt buzzer you also unplugged the oil pressure warning light. The trick was to just cut the purple wire and leave the connector alone.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hummm? Do you drive rural country roads at 3 A.M. ? Specifically those which have a multi mile tree line if there's something there already, I don't go there. People who are too

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Arrogance can be deadly. What keeps me reasonably sake is my firm belief that I'm only a so-so driver, and I act accordingly. The cabinet-shop workers without a full complement of fingers are those who became comfortable with machinery.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

BY NOT DRIVING LIKE AN IDIOT!!!! How many times do I have to say that? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Reply to
John Popelish

That's great advice if you live where there are few trees. Drive like that in the Northeast and you *may* avoid the deer, but not the guy who comes around the bend behind you doing 55 and lands in your back seat.

Reply to
Ray Andraka

LOL You snipped my psudeo signature, "Signed: 60+ ;)", which was meant to humorously show agreement with you. Oh well, my family has always wondered about me.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

How slowly is one supposed to drive to preclude all possibility of an accident?

A recent incident in Arizona involved a horse landing on a car and almost killing a passenger due to crushing the roof down atop the occupants. This occurred on I40 near Flagstaff at night. The authoriites need to require horses to have lights and a horn (audio type) if they're going to play around on interstate highways at night.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Will I have to attach a tail light to my dog? I wonder how she would manage with a spelunker's headlight.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

But you will still have to train drivers :/ I live in an an area with a significant Amish presence. They do everything but attach strobe lights to buggy. Still they get hit.

I've anecdotal evidence that they are hit by *LOCAL* motorists who should expect buggies.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

that i knew, but ...

... ya know, Jerry, you just painfully spelled out a new epiphany for me. in 8th grade Drivers Ed., about the first thing the teacher said in the first day of class after getting through the attendance and first-day-routine-intro was that "the first mistake of a bad driver is thinking he's a good driver."

what you just said gave it new meaning to me and probably is closer to the meaning meant by what the teacher said.

ouch.

r b-j

Reply to
robert bristow-johnson

yow'sa.

at least that's the way life on the road is in Vermont and the Adirondacks of New York.

also the UP of Michigan.

and Minnesota.

and northern Wisconsin.

and New Hampshire.

and Maine.

r b-j

Reply to
robert bristow-johnson

Dear are easy. Try a moose.

And Florida, and Kentucky, and North Carolina, and...

--
  Keith
Reply to

that's maybe when *you* become the roadkill.

but if you think moose are bad, how 'bout 3 ton slabs of concrete?

r b-j

Reply to
robert bristow-johnson

conditions.

I wasn't aware that 3 ton slabs of concrete were likely to jump out of the tree line.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

conditions.

You haven't heard about Boston's failing "Big Dig" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

tree

I was there when a two-ton slab of steel (a plate covering a construction pit) jumped up in the air as a passing truck went drove off it. I shudder to think of the result if a passenger car had been behind. As it was, a large semi was there, and is sliced the cab horizontally. The driver's part slid across, while the rest of the cab went under the plate through the hole onto the river bank below. The plate slowed the trailer so that it didn't overtake the top of the cab, and the driver was unharmed. Stuff can jump at you from *anywhere*.

Jerry

Jerry Avins