Super bright green LED petrol signs

Anyone seen those insanely bright green (presumably) LED dot matrix price signs at the service stations? (BP usually) I've been noticing these for a while and they seem to be growing in popularity. I can't help but be distracted by them every time I pass by, certainly a big WOW factor. So much brighter and nicer looking than the multitude of other LED signs out there these days. Many petrol stations have LED signs, but these green dot matrix ones are truly standouts. Anyone know any technical details?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

No, but sound like a major Driver Distraction, and should be banned. Just lkike those blue-flashed1 headlights that grab your periferal attention whether you like it or not.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Probably only a distraction to nerds who find that sort of thing fascinating! Regular punters are probably just looking at the petrol price.

No worse than those tall blow-up figures, waving pizza sign dudes, people dressed in gorilla suits, or a hot looking chick waiting to cross at the lights.

The M2 motorway in Sydney was dog slow the other week going to work, I thought it must have been another accident. Nope, just a cyclist chick in hotpants changing her tire in the breakdown lane, once past that it was a dream run.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Dreaming of .... ?

See , hot-panted chick cyclists should be banned as a Road Hazzard.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Getting to work 20 minutes earlier. I get plenty an eye-full of girls in hot-pants every day at the gym.

Nope, I like'em, just stupid motorists who have to slow down to take a look on a motorway. If everyone learns to rubber-neck at speed there won't be any problem :->

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I have experience with setting up signs and ballons etc. In QLD you have tell mains roads what you are doing and get an ok etc.

Reply to
MisterE

I knew I was missing something when I elected to work entirely from home

9 years ago.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
http://www.wizard-from-oz.com 1000\'s of electronic items
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Yeah, it's a joy...

I have a work from home option if needed, but we are "encouraged" to turn up to the office every day even though all we do is keep to ourselves in front of our computers. Not a particularly efficient business model... At least I can make my own hours to avoid traffic.

*sigh*

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

That would depend on how good you look in hotpamnts? ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Have seen ones like this at Matilda servos and had a look at them at night from the ground.

While its hard to estimate the size of things that are up high, Theirs appear to be made of bunches of 10mm high brightness red leds (groups of 7 it looks like) that form a "pixel" There are a substantial number of these "pixels" in each 3.5 digit display panel, and I agree, gives excellent readability any time of day from some distance away on the highway.

I think the secret is simply the large numbers of LEDS as much as anything

By the way, these setups are nothing new. I recall seeing in moscow some time back outdoor video LED "billboards" some of which would be easily 3m x 4m and had full colour video of quite watchable quality (could show full motion video but was a bit grainy). No problem viewing in full sunlight either.

Mostly were used for beer advertising both with graphics and video.

Reply to
kreed

Many of the large railway stations in London have very bright LED colour television displays. Some, such as Victoria station, have had one for 5 years or more.

Chris

Reply to
christofire