OT: Petrol consumption

Looks like Eric and I are neighbors. That's the Intel division I consulted for when I designed the USB modules.

Follow Chandler Blvd west for about 8 miles and you come to my abode.

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Odd that Dutch would be anti-Semite,but it was ISLAMICS who murdered a couple of their prominent citizens.

You don't see groups of Jews rioting over perceived (or real)insults to their religion,either.Overall,the Jewish people worldwide appear to be pacifist,and decent citizens. Most are anti-gun,too;odd considering the Holocaust,the Warsaw Ghetto,and what the Islamics think about Jews. So much for their motto "Never again";not much to back that up.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Not to mention the original question - what proportion is that of the total amount of gasoline burned during this test period? I know that "running the air conditioner with the windows closed uses less horsepower than leaving the windows open at speed (because of the turblence)", but how about lights on/off? My Fiero has pop-up headlights, so on the highway, using my headlights costs me more than just the electricity, but in drag. I don't know how much, but I don't mind that much because I like to drive with my lights on, especially in the morning and evening (of course night, duh) and when the sky is overcast, or only cloudy. My car looks like a little lump of dirt, so I turn on the lights in hopes that the SUV people won't drive over me. ;-)

But, what's the difference in MPG between, say, Bakersfield and Fresno, with headlights on and off?

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There's no such thing as an accident. Traffic crashes are caused by negligence, except for the handful that are actually equipment failure or some kind of medical emergency, like the driver has a seizure. Drunkenness is another form of negligence, and the driver is culpable.

Want Zero Traffic Fatalities?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Inconsequential I'd expect. OTOH I've seen significant changes in overall mpg between summer and winter.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Well, heaven's snakes alive, don't keep us in suspenders! ;-)

Please, do tell!

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What are your probability numbers on how much chance of an accident in daylight, with lights on and off? I really doubt anyone has ever done a controlled statistical experiment. I think having lights on in daylight just gives insurance companies worm fuzzies, the same way street lighting does. Both waste power and do little that is actually useful.

A more fuel efficient means to be noticed in daylight would be to paint the car bright orange (or yellow and black stripes) and add a big, snarling, toothy monster face to the grill. How do you think that would change the odds, compared to the added glint of headlights on a gray road colored car in bright sunlight?

Reply to
John Popelish

But were the windows open? That would also be very interesting, at 65-75 MPH. After dark you not only don't have the AC going, but the air is cooler anyway - both for the vents, and for the motor cooling.

But, since you have the meter, and such a kewl test track, would you be willing to do the same thing with the windows open and keep such good records? I think that'd be noteworthy!

I was out today in mine ('86 Fiero), and got up to 65 for a bit on the freeway, but had the windows open because my A/C is SNAFU. )-; On the way back, I found the shortcut through the foothills, which is much cooler and shadier than the freeway, and I think I made better time. :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If you are frequently driving between Bakersfield and Fresno, you have my pity.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Yes - they seem to like cool, very humid air. I don't know what OAT means, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the barometer or the humidity. One time, I got a promotional gimmick from some guy who wanted to make a million - it was a little plastic bag about 8" long and about 1" in diameter, that you just laid in your air cleaner thing, on the "clean" side. I guess it was just some kind of permeable plastic, with some wet gel inside that just continuously gave off water vapor until it dried out, in a couple of weeks.

Now, I'm not discounting the placebo effect, but it did seem to make the car a little peppier - but this was a different car than I have now, so can't repeat it, and I have no idea where the guy with the little magic beans went, but it seems that I've read different things that seem to indicate that introducing water vapor into the combustion chamber somehow improves something, hopefully efficiency.

Anybody know?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'd think with an airplane, lift would have a lot to do with it... ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ah, cool! I rarely get down to that end of town these days (work from home), but perhaps we could grab a beer sometime. They don't drink themselves, after all... ;)

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms, Intel Corp. My opinions may not be Intel's opinions.

Eric Jacobsen

I'm talking about even in the daytime...

the reduced probability of an accident in the daytime due to the increased visability of your vehicle is well worth the small amount of fuel it takes to run the lights..

Reply to
Mark

There are special recommendation for operating aircraft in 'hot and high' conditions where the air is significantly thinner.

One Lufthansa 747 was notably thought to have got their hot and high calculations wrong when departing Nairobi, Kenya but it turned out to be a leading edge flaps issue.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

[snip]

I work from home, also.

Where do you abode? Looks like McDowell Mountain Ranch? My youngest son and family used to live on 106th Way, north of Thompson Peak.

...Jim Thompson

such

Yes, oooooopppppps, gotta stop posting at 4:00 AM! The numbers still work out.

fuel

I wouldn't worry about that small amount of fuel, and besides most cars have mandatory DRL's (daytime running lights, which are run at reduced power).

Warming up an engine uses way more fuel. For example warming up from sitting all night at say 10 deg C, my old 2.8L Camaro with multi port fuel injection would take 2 - 3 L in the first 5 km (yes, I actually managed to measure this (ALDL data, and confirmed with an *emergency* fuel pump and tank)), then start sipping fuel. eg I would commonly get about 100km per 8 -

9 L when driving down the highway at 140 km/h, with a few higher speed bursts when dropped down to 4th gear. Mixed city driving was generally 10 to 12 L per 100 km, and driving granny mode (100 km/h, using the highest gear as soon as possible, and *normal* acceleration) down the highway could get down to the 7 l per 100 km mark.

Generally, with the above calc's it looks like a car will burn 0.95 L per hour, per 1 kw load, assuming that the energy is not drawn during deceleration

There are a ton of other things that use power in a car also, such as (with estimates of energy usage):

- heater blower ~ 300W on full

- window defrost ~ 300W for ~20 min

- Dash lights ~30W

- exterior lights ~35 W

- Stereo ~10 to 50W

- Cooling fan 200W to 400W intermittent

- Fuel Pump ~50 - 75W average

- Ign system 30 to 50W

- emission pump if equipped - 200 - 300 W

- MAF sensor 75 to 350W

- Injectors and controller 50 to 150W

- power accessories - large draw that is intermittent, so little energy over all

Mechanical loads

- water pump - 500 to 4000 W, generally several kW on the highway!

- power steering pump - 100 to 3000W

- belts - 50 to 400W

- emission pump 300 to 1000W

- idler pulley - 5 to 50W

- air conditioning compressor - 750 to 7500 W dependant on size and design

- Valve train losses - this is large - A company that builds racing valve springs built a machine to spin a typical SBC chev V8 up to 8000 RPM. The motor had no crank, just valve train parts, and they needed an electric motor with something like 40 HP!

- Oil Pump - ???

Other losses:

- Brake drag

- Tire friction (can be substantial)

- Wheel bearing friction

- Transmission losses and differential losses, generally 10 to 15%, generally higher at lower power levels due to the energy needed to overcome friction, also can be higher if it's an automatic

- Oil viscosity drag

Reply to
Jeff L

There is one more effect from the water - during it's cooling of the engine, it's absorbing energy, and thus expanding, potentially producing usable energy from waste heat. See the posts from a few months back on the 6 stroke engine in a.b.s.e. The biggest effect, I would believe is the cooling of the combustion charge enough to prolong detonation and allow larger charges or more advanced timing.

Reply to
Jeff L

How do I set a laser printer to stun?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yes, I'm in MMR.

I have friends in Ahwatukee and do occassionally (very occassionally) get into the office in Chandler. We should keep in touch!

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms, Intel Corp. My opinions may not be Intel's opinions.

Eric Jacobsen

Sure! Let me know when you'll be down this way.

...Jim Thompson