Aldi £59 petrol generator and television

On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running very roughly, and is really noisy.

Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting to televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment.

Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only £59 ).

Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment; would that just be the manufacturers covering themselves? Would buying something like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator with a portable television?

Reply to
D. T. Green

The generator probably has poor stability in both voltage and frequency. Equipment that's senstitive to those may indeed break.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Blimey, if even the manufacturer is telling you its crap, it must be REALLY crap.

No way I'd connect one to anything of mine.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Likely it is not just acoustically noisy but electronically noisy too and the ignition system radio emissions will cause snow on a portable TV. It might be so rough and ready electrically either voltage or frequency wise that it could fail or wreck some old sets completely. I'd expect most modern switched mode PSUs to cope with almost anything but then you are taking a risk since the maker says it is unsuitable.

I suspect your problem will be mainly electrical interference. Charging up a battery to use with your TV would get around this and be quieter.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

would

something

If I was using one I'd wire in permanently a baseload 100W mains bulb (assuming you are allowed to start up with a pre-existing load) . If the lamp flickers /wavers then no use with a TV but if a constant light output I'd try only a sacrificial old TV with an old set-top box , if the picture rolls from lack of frequency control then at least I tried.

Reply to
N_Cook

Some of the extra money paind for more expensive generators goes towards the extra electronics which ensure a stable a/c output similar to mains current. This is generaly described as an inverter system

Believe the instructions. It is not suitable.

There are warnings against these very cheap generators on caravan and mobile home discussion fora, as they can damage the internal electrics of the more sophisticated systems.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David WE Roberts

After looking at the subject I thought, we've had gas powered fridges, now a petrol powered telly...

Reply to
The Other Mike

Sounds like you want it to use on a camp site, etc. You will not be popular.

--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

2 stroke is typically noisy, and often smoky, it's just the way they work

CRT televisions need well regulated line frequency, as do clocks and some other "sensitive equipment"

an AVR is more likely to help if there's voltage problems...

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Surely that depends on the choice of programme?

It might be extremely popular if it's showing the women's beach volleyball ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you want to run tv,a lot of small modern tvs run on 12v dc so use your generator to charge a car battery and run the tv off that.

Reply to
F Murtz

All 2 stroke engines are noisy. 4 stroke engines are much quieter. Running "rough" could mean no regulation. This generator is a piece of junk.

That's because the voltage and frequency output is probably not regulated. Light bulbs, heaters, and resistive loads might survive. Anything electronic or that uses a motor, probably won't.

No experience. I don't need to stick my hand in the fire to know that it's hot.

Yep. Unsuitable for any purpose other than making lots of noise.

No. If the generator goes into over voltage, even for a few fractions of second, the MOV (metal oxide varistors) in the "surge protector" will explode, catch fire, and eventually blow a fuse. Surge protectors also don't do anything for changes in frequency.

Look into various "inverter generator" offerings. They're quiet, efficient, low RFI, and have a fairly clean and regulated output.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't think the program matters much if the viewers need a gas mask and ear plugs in order to watch the TV. Last time I checked, many small LCD TV's run nicely on 12V battery power. No need for generator. For example:

I guess going camping with a TV is ok, as long as one leaves the screaming kids, barking dogs, ATV's, motorcycles, and boom box at home.

I'm impressed that the question was cross posted to a repair newsgroup. That suggests that the generator or the TV will soon require some manner of repair. Planning ahead is a good thing.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I would have said the exact opposite of that. Linear supplies with a nice big chunk of L in the way, are pretty much unconcerned about such nasties as spikes, whereas switchers will fail if you just look at them wrongly on a day with a Y in it ...

However, that said, I would agree with everyone else that using this with modern electronic equipment would not be a good idea. OK to run a few lights (but not CFLs or electronically ballasted linear flourescents), and maybe power tools, which is probably what Aldi had in mind for it. I've actually found Aldi to be pretty honest in this respect. It's cheap, and they know it, hence the warnings.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

No. they just rectify teh peaks.

But iron transformers dont like odd waveforms.

Having said that, ive used a genny to power a laptop for watching TV on in a camper.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Although the bigger they are, the quieter they seem to be for their size.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Eh ... after looking at the subject I thought it was about a device that would generate petrol, maybe it was seen on TV.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Jeff Liebermann wrote

Not necessarily, it may be quite adequate.

Yes.

The last two certainly will.

That's just plain wrong if it has modern switch mode power supply.

Plenty of those are very happy to operate over a range of 80-260V and couldn't care less about the frequency because they rectify the mains.

That's obvious.

But you don't understand about modern switch mode power supplys.

Wrong.

If the TV has a switch mode power supply, it wont care about the frequency.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Like hell they do.

That's just plain wrong with modern switch mode power supplys.

But it may well be fine if the device has a switch mode power supply that's happy with an input voltage of 80-26V and couldn't care less about the frequency because it rectifys the mains.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I repair hundreds of the things, and irrespective of the topology of any individual design, most work by the skin of their teeth. Left alone, in general, today's generation are fairly reliable, but in my experience, subject them to the slightest abuse, and they fail - often catastrophically

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily