OT: Penny per page?

You buy washers two at a time?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

is clearly intended to hold a single size. Imagine finding 2-inch fender washers mixed in with the bin that's supposed to have 1/4-20 hex bolts!

I haven't found it to be all that bad. Sometimes, though rarely, it's a mess but it's usually just a few that have walked around some. It's not like it's a huge deal. If I need more than a couple washers, or whatever, I buy a full box anyway.

Every time I've bought piece-price washers from a Lowe's or HD, they had a catalog with full-scale drawings of all of the hardware, with the bar codes next to it. The cashier just finds the part in the book and scans the barcode next to it.

Kinda obvious.

Sure. They're really bad about marking prices sometimes (probably my only real beef with WallyWorld). I usually just buy on somewhere else.

stock to find what you needed, you got the "pleasure" of ringing it up yourself in the self-checkout line (which worked about as well as their self-service bin system).

too. That way, it's true self-service end-to-end. (Same with gas stations, I suppose?) Any one remember when they used to give out dishes and towels with fill-ups? Or S&H Green Stamps?

shopping experience, you'd still need to know about six different languages in order to communicate with their staff. The most prevalent being some abrasive mixture of Spanglish and Creole.

It seems the quality varies a lot by region. In the NE, I though HD was pretty good (there weren't any Lowe's in the area). They were really bad in Ohio and pretty good here, though I like Lowe's better for most things. I certainly don't have any problem with electrical components in any of the stores. They seem to be really well stocked.

Reply to
krw

If you add a storefront to eBay or Amazon you will run the prices up so that they won't be cheap either.

You don't get the comic? Amazon.com vs. *THE* Amazon

Rick

Reply to
rickman

It's not always that easy to find what you want. I was looking for passive LCD displays to see who else makes them other than three or four major players I could find at Mouser and Digikey. It was pretty hard to find much of anything amongst all the crap clocks and other gadgets they make in an *incredible* number of silly and absurd configurations, anything to get 1000 people to buy one. AliExpress turned up individual LCD digits up to three or so inches tall. Mostly they wanted to sell large numbers but some would sell just one, but they wanted $25 for shipping!

Rick

Reply to
rickman

That joke is all wet.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Jeez, what an idgit!

Of course I got it but the point is exactly the opposite of the one you were making in the sentence just before.

Reply to
krw

Do away with all of ther radio & TV stations that only transimit in something other than english, as well. It makes it too easy for them not to learn if they are never exposed to English. The same for any interaction with the govenment or medical care. Can't be bothered to learn English? No driver's license. No doctors. No food stamps or welfare.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They shouldn't even be allowed a green card (or *any* work visa) unless they're fluent in English. There are too many who really want to be here to even bother with those who don't.

Reply to
krw

What does fluency in English have to do with immigration? I know lots of natives here who don't speak English as well as many immigrants.

--

Rick
Reply to

If they want to be Americans they really need to learn the language. If they don't it shows that they're really not interested. It's really that simple.

Irrelevant nonsense.

Reply to
krw

Many of the them are posting here...

--

Rick
Reply to

That may or may not be but it doesn't make it any more relevant.

You can try harder to be stupid but you won't do any better than you're doing now.

Reply to
krw

I was talking about those already here. When I moved to Florida 25+ years ago I had to wait in line behind someone from Jamaica that couldn't read or speak english while someone translated the written driver's test to give him a driver's license. If anyone who knew English had taken that long, they would have told them to study harder and come back when they were ready to actually pass the test. I sure as hell don't want to be on the road with people who can't read the street signs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

But

years

Hell yes. Now that is cooking the melting pot with a will. And sure as hell no ballots in furrin' languages. If you wanna vote, learn the language.

?-))

Reply to
josephkk

But

years

in

That is so not the issue. If you want to live here learn the "local" official language. Same for anyone wanting to live anywhere, learn the "local" language in the target location, preferably before moving there.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

While i see many foreigners posting here with good to excellent English, i do not see many American, British, Canadian, or Austrailian posters here with inadequate English. Certainly no frequent or long term posters. What is your point?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

If they're here legally, there isn't much that can be done. If they're wanting to come here or even wanting a work permit, they should be fluent in English. It only makes sense. There certainly isn't a shortage of people who want to immigrate. Take only those who will contribute. We have enough takers, already.

Reply to
krw

One does not have to speech English to contribute.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

"Not have to speech"?

Anyone who doesn't speak the common language wastes resources that could be used for other needs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not a problem in California. There's an audio version of the written test available in a wide variety of languages: My relatives from Poland originally took the test in Polish, but considered it a matter of pride and necessity to take the renewal exams in Engligh.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com