Raspberry 400

Thoughts? I'm tempted. Anybody doing it for the team?
--
Ottavio Caruso
Reply to

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to
Chris Elvidge
Yeah. Although for me that mostly ends up as having the Pi somewhere on the desk under/in front of the monitor, soooo... Also this is an improved stepping of the SoC with higher frequency, 1.8 instead of 1.5 GHz, and it adds a huge heatsink which apparently makes for no throttling whatsoever. See

Downside: weird orientation for HATs on the GPIO port, and no analogue audio/video out. And no US keyboard kits with EU adapter. Tthey have no keyboard layout for my country, so the US version is the next best thing, but I do need an EU adapter. The standalone computer (only the keyboard) is not such a good deal, I think.
Reply to
A. Dumas
LOL!
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
I see nothing wrong with that design. It harks back to the home computers of the early eighties for me. Look at the back of a Vic-20, Sinclair ZX80, Apple II, etc. Bring your own screen and choose your own accessories.
Fewer discrete parts?
Elijah ------ now if it were only equipped with a battery and battery operated screen
Reply to
Eli the Bearded
Wireless keyboard and a normal hidden away Pi looks less messy, however I do get the 'home computer' aesthetic.
--
Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz
I wonder why they chose to give the Pi 400 only 4 GB and not the full 8 GB RAM.
Reply to
NY
Why is 8Gb the 'full' amount.
--
Chris Green
Reply to
Chris Green
Perhaps there's a Pi 800 coming if there appears to be demand.
C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot
OK, "the highest amount available so far as a simple Pi 4 circuit board".
Reply to
NY
The vast majority of people will be using 32 bit Raspbian, (or Raspberry Pi OS as they call it now), so wont benefit from anything over 4GB. To make real use of that you have to load a 64 bit OS.
On my 8GB Pi 4B I'm running the 32 bit Raspbian user land, but with the 64 bit kernel, which via raspbian-nspawn allows me to also run 64 bit applications in a container. The best of both worlds.
---druck
Reply to
druck
resellerType=home
8GB seems pretty sensible to me for a Linux box thats doing office or program development type tasks.
I notice that my Intel and AMD boxes (a pair of Lenovo laptops and an AMD- based whitebox PC that I use as the house server, all running 64 bit Fedora Linux) that those with smaller memories (3GB and 4GB) normally trundle on without swapping, but do swap on occasion, while the 8GB system has never swapped - at least I haven't noticed it doing so.
Martin    | martin at
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie
Every process can use 4 (I think it's 3 in practice?) GiB. In Chrome/Chromium, every tab is a separate process. So if you regularly open a lot of tabs with huge content ... then 8 GiB might be beneficial even on 32-bit RaspiOS.
Reply to
A. Dumas
Composing this on my Pi400 (which has been up for over 2 days & currently running cawbird playing a youtube video)
$ free -h total used free shared buff/cache available Mem: 3.7Gi 802Mi 803Mi 188Mi 2.2Gi 2.6Gi Swap: 99Mi 4.0Mi 95Mi
4GB seems ample has anyone actually maxed out a 4gb pi or are you simply basing the need for 8gb on Windows experience? if so you are not comparing like with like.
--
You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny.
Reply to
Alister
Do you have a ref? I thought 32 bit kernel meant it could only map max 4 GB ram in total, shared between all processes.
Reply to
Pancho
(look for the "Raspberry Pi 4 B 8GB: The Ultimate Pi" paragraph)
Reply to
A. Dumas
That is interesting, thank you.
Reply to
Pancho
That?s an x86 feature. The ARM equivalent is LPAE,
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to
Richard Kettlewell