OT: Penny per page?

Brother B/W laser, but our IT guy had trouble setting it up on the network so it's still stitting on the shelf.

Really, you mark up PDFs like they were paper? How do you feel about the vendors who "protect" their PDFs so you can't mark them up? Heck, some of them don't even allow you to copy numbers or other text from the document to put into a presentation or spread sheet. They don't make it easy to like their products sometimes.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I used to need color printouts from time to time and figured I should check with Staples and Kinko's about printing a document from the web. You know, shoot it to their web site and drive over to pick it up. Turns out they don't have anything like that. Everything has to go through their regular service with turnaround of a day or more.

It just seems like they could have some relatively small machine devoted to small print jobs from the web for quick pickup. I would much prefer that to trying to keep a printer full of ink and actually running. The last Epson I had would clog and need new print heads... not cartridges, print heads! I swore I'd never have another ink jet again.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Just when I thought I was reading a thread by mature adults, the 12 year olds show up...

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I don't see how this could be easily used on a 36" printer. If you replace the laser with an array of LEDs, you still need a 36" wide drum. I thought that was why they used inkjets on the large format printers. They are like the old pen plotters, but with inkjet heads that swish across the paper. They had one at the local newspaper for proofs, it was fairly fast and looked good. I think it printed an inch in one pass.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

You mean their online print service (with custom driver) has a really long turnaround? Haven't tried it.. it's about 20 minutes round trip to the nearest 24/7 Fedex Office (more at rush hour), so it becomes really easy to pay for a color laser printer. If I had a regular need for larger size prints I could manage to pass buy, but "on-demand" is not very cost-effective (for consultants going squirrely from lack of human contact, the FedEx Office and nearby coffee shop might be a draw) ;-)

I'll probably never buy another inkjet. Lasers may be expensive on the expendables, but at least they don't time out on you.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yeah, I'm not a fan of inkjets either. My old ones used to dry out from non-use.

FWIW: FedEx-Kinkos used to have a print service like the one you've described. I don't recall how pricey it was. They may still have it?

Reply to
mpm

Brother B/W laser, but our IT guy had trouble setting it up on the network so it's still stitting on the shelf.

Have you tried the 'Save as text' option while viewing the PDF?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Brother B/W laser, but our IT guy had trouble setting it up on the network so it's still stitting on the shelf.

I normally just strip that sec***ty cr*p out forthwith, generally whilst cursing their dubious and possibly unknown anticendents..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I looked for this some time back when it was more important to me to have schematic printouts. You can get stuff printed, it just takes a day or two while you wait in a big job queue. Maybe they've figured out that different categories of customers exist.

These places are pretty convenient to my office actually. I can get most anywhere in Frederick in not much more than 5 minutes if it isn't rush hour... I mean rush half hour... no, we're not really that small. It's just that rush hour is really the two or three hours when everyone returns from DC and Baltimore and clogs the bypass around town.

Now my problem is as much getting Internet while I'm at the lake. I can drive 2 miles to a little country store/deli/gas station that doesn't mind if I spend a couple of hours sucking down their Internet connection or I can drive more like 15-20 miles to a few restaurants that don't mind me doing the same. Panera's used to be my favorite place around here... that may be coming to an end. I'm told I really can get DSL even though the phone company swears it isn't available. Seems to have to threaten someone to get the info out of them... not sure, but some folks very near me have it.

I *will* be looking into this Verizon... so be prepared.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I tried it now and it seems to work if you use the text (accessible) format. Not sure how that is different from text (plain)... Still it all pretty well sucks. I'd really like to be able to put notes on my PDF and highlight important parts. Sometimes this is the difference between two vendors and I choose one because they let me have my way with their data sheets.

And how does one do that exactly? I tried it using one of the third party viewers by printing to a... pdf file. But it ended up not being text at all, but printed as a graphic. Not of much value. I think I used Bullzip...

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I had a Russian program that used to work all the time but frequently doesn't now, the last couple times I did it I found an online site that did the job. I think there was a limit to the size of the PDF, but it worked for me. If I need it because of a big PDF I'll just buy it- was pretty reasonable (like $50, IIRC).

Oh, and while I'm at it if they are cheeky enough to show their distrust of me by watermarking it in a personalized fashion, I'll strip that out too.

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 20:09:29 -0500 rickman wrote in Message id: :

Brother B/W laser, but our IT guy had trouble setting it up on the network so it's still stitting on the shelf.

No problem. Use Ghostscript to decrypt a copy.

I've found that this syntax works well:

gswin32c -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite

-sFONTPATH=%windir%/fonts;xfonts;. -sPDFPassword= -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress

-dPassThroughJPEGImages=true -sOutputFile=OUTPUT.pdf INPUT.pdf

Reply to
JW

Brother B/W laser, but our IT guy had trouble setting it up on the network so it's still stitting on the shelf.

Absolutely.

Simple. I "print" them to PDFs and mark those up. I haven't run into one in the last couple of years where I couldn't do this. It's only Adobe's crap that tries to prevent this.

I have run into that. Sometimes printing those to PDFs fixes it. Sometimes not.

Reply to
krw

.

s.

The big advantage that color led printers have is having several rows of leds. That lets them print in color with one pass. So you can got about 20 pages of color per minute at least on A4 paper. I found a vendor selling a led printer that will print 10 D sized prints per minute.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

buy the whole damn printer again. (I think we paid about $175, IIRC)?

Hello, they are giving away the printers and gouging you on the ink. All inkjets are this way.

Small laser. Thought you already knew.

Brother B/W laser, but our IT guy had trouble setting it up on the network so it's still stitting on the shelf.

Interesting, i have a Brother HL-5370DW that setup just ducky in Windows XP, and 7 also in Linux. About US$200 IIRC. Reliable, reasonably fast (it will pause and cool off at times printing long documents), good print quality, duplexes just fine.

patents are expiring. Why doesn't someone go into business making a rock solid inkjet that is cheap to operate? Every business out there would tell HP and the link to shove those $50 cartridges where the sun don't shine.

are sold in dribs and drabs. Like airtime minutes and sometimes, software as a service stuff. Just charge a fair price and be done with it. Geeez..

Reply to
josephkk

Damn, that gave me a chill of prophesy. Cut it out; i don't like that scenario but i don't see any way to avoid it.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

This is going to sound weird, but i have an old Epson stylus photo R200 that just keeps on truckin'. I must have gone through about 10 sets of cartridges. Hardly use it now. The current problems are with paper feed, not print quality. Those old rollers are getting slick or dimpled or something. Previously had a stylus 860 but it didn't give me the service or quality of the R200.

Oh well.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

printer

on the network?

standard brand-name network. He futzed with it for hours, but got everything else up just fine. (He's an accomplished programmer, BTW). I figured it must have something to do with the vendor-supplied driver.(?)

For Win 7 you still have to download the current drivers most of the time for Brother printers. Just the way it is.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

printer on the network?

standard brand-name network. He futzed with it for hours, but got everything else up just fine. (He's an accomplished programmer, BTW). I figured it must have something to do with the vendor-supplied driver.(?)

printer on

really

Interesting, I turned off WiFi on my Brother HL-5370DW and only use it wired. Love the duplex printing.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz

I think it is pretty clear that Keith is off his meds again.

?:..-(

Reply to
josephkk