OT: Penny per page?

Kodak dropping out of the consumer inkjet printer business in 2013

Lots of reasons why the Kodak inkjet failed. The big ones were that Kodak the front end cost for the printers were high ($200-$250) and the $40 cost of a new black cartridge. For Kodak, the cheap ink refills never materialized. Customers seemed reluctant to buy ink from hole-in-the-wall enterprises. It might have worked if Kodak had sold empty cartridges to refillers and stayed out of the ink biz, but that didn't happen.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

the network?

brand-name network. He futzed with it for hours, but got everything else up just fine. (He's an accomplished programmer, BTW). I figured it must have something to do with the vendor-supplied driver.(?)

I had to use the windows driver and USB interface to put my brother printer on the lan, my wifi password is a random looking string of characters and I couldn't get the Brother to accept it via the keypad. Cut and paste into the windows control tool worked though, I didn't really want a wifi printer but they didn't seem to have any wired ones at comparable prices.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Jeff - Hope you don't mind if I tack a random thought here.. On the subject of retail prices for ink cartridges, it's painfully obvious that Office Depot has really high prices.

When I went to get the ink cartridge, I also wanted to pick up a small box of CD envelopes. How expensive could these be? Answer: $7.69 for a pack o f 50.

That's more than the CD I planned to put in it!! (And it's just paper..)

As politely as I could muster, I told the twenty-something floor clerk "No thanks", as he did his level best to assure me that was the going rate. St aples had 'em for $7.79 (50). Radio Shack for $5.99 (50). So, he probably wasn't too far off the mark (though I did not check Target or WalMart.)

In contrast, ULine serves them up for $59/1000. Amazon, about $14.70/1000 depending on who you get them from, some offering free shipping. And $24.72/2000 was about the best price I saw (if I actua lly needed 2000.) I don't.

No wonder these brick-n-mortar stores go out of business. My days of ever trying to buy office supplies retail are over! The point spread on just this one item was over 15x. Amazing.

Reply to
mpm

Actually, I do mind. I thought I had a monopoly on topic drift and off-topic unrelated drivel. However, if you keep it to a minimum, I won't complain (much).

$5 per 100 envelopes or less on eBay. I prefer the colored CD envelopes so I can easily separate Windoze, Linux, DVD movies, and music CD's.

True. I toss the CD's but keep the old envelopes. No way to recycle the CD's, but the envelopes can be reused.

That's about right for a retail store. Online stores are cheaper due to the lack of overhead, no out of state sales tax, and the ability to run on lower margins.

I buy about 500 or 1000 at a time and resell boxes of 100 envelopes to my customers. It's cheap advertising.

Yep. It's difficult to resist the temptation to buy cheap online. The trend is obvious and ominous. Retail sales will eventually be aimed at convenience shopping, at emergencies, at those that want to see the product, and at those that can't deal with online shopping. My vision of the retail store of the future is a place where you can see *ONE* of everything they sell. Just one on a display stand. If you want to buy it, you go to a terminal, insert your ID/credit card, and check off your purchases on the screen to be delivered pickup or shipped from a warehouse to your home or business.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

n.

th

ttdesign.com

Years back when I bought an inkjet I bought the more expensive HP because the ink cartridges were the larger ones that hold twice the ink as the ones used in the cheaper printer. Even at that, 8x10 color photo prints chew through about $1 per page so I do very few of those. On top of that they fade and if they get wet.... The laserjet for doing typical B/W text will do around 2500 pages for $70 using genuine HP cartridges. I've seen the performance of remanufactured cartridges used at work and I won't bother with erratic junk. Every time I see a 'good price' on a color laser printer I check the consumables price which is usually more than the price of the printer.

Reply to
stratus46

On Jan 24, 4:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: > On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 23:41:59 +0000, Mike Perkins > wrote: > All of the large format printers I've seen are inkjets.  I haven't > seen laser printers larger than "Ledger" (11"x17"), anyway. >

I worked for a guy who picked up a used LED printer that printed on

36" wide roll paper. The printer could do a 36x48 'plot' in about a minute.

Reply to
stratus46

What is an "LED printer"?

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:56:13 -0500) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in :

One that prints LEDs, probably OLEDs. Dont look it up, Internet LIES!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On 36" roll PAPER. You probably did read that somewhere, years ago, on the Internet. It *must* be true.

It's certain that you do, little dickwad.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:47:21 -0500) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in :

I sort of think I am bigger than you :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

He was not referring to your sub-human hulk, he was referring to your 'progeny device'.

Hopefully never used.

Reply to
MrTallyman

Like a laser printer but uses light emitting diodes instead of a laser.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

It would be just like you to peek, Little Dickwad.

Reply to
krw

What's the point?

Reply to
krw

Lower power consumtion.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

With money, a miser used to collect pennies and "get rich".

With Watts, a miser collects and economizes every little milliwatt they can, and develops a product which uses half (or some number) what the rest use with no compromise in quality.

Only if it is true, however.

Reply to
MrTallyman

In 1981 they were cheaper by several hundered dollars. Since then prices have dropped.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (Sat, 26 Jan 2013 19:07:18 -0500) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in :

I is spelled _peak_ , I am the peak, you are the valley, not only that, you are over the top too. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yeah, you're at the peak of something alright...

Your utter stupidity.

Yep... in that respect, you are the top dog.

Stew in it, dork.

Reply to
emblematic

You is? Really? (more proof you're a dumbshit)

You're an air head, that's for sure.

I can't help it if you can't read. ...or think. You prove it daily.

You really are a dumbshit.

Reply to
krw