OT: Nevada buses mental patients to Californica

That's why there didn't build Disney World there. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So when he makes fun he's mean, but when you make fun you're funny?
Reply to
John Fields

Of course. That's the manic-depressive's "mind"-set >:-} ...Jim Thompson

           Love means never having to say you're sorry.
       Statistics means never having to say you're certain.

Careful, there...

Larkin treats affection as an affliction.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Not totally, since when he gets to be the hammer he laughs.

On the other hand, when he has to be the nail it's not at all funny
from his perspective, which comes from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA
Reply to
John Fields

So I'm tainted by Thompson? ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Mikek

Reply to
amdx

There's not a lot of electronics design in Alaska. I considered moving to Juneau, for personal reasons, but it would have been a career dead-end.

What's strange is that a lot of tech is located in what should, in theory, be the worst places. Land, housing, energy are cheap in lots of places, but most of the people that do tekkie stuff don't want to live there.

There's a positive feedback: the best people want to go to, say, Silicon Valley to see how good they are and to compete with others. It could have happened anywhere, but Stanford/Terman seeded it there.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

EVERY major Bay Area semiconductor company has established a design center in some burb of Phoenix, probably driven by the fact that lots of people don't want to live in the Bay Area.

Likewise they've established design centers in Austin, Dallas, Rochester (NY), and even in the Boston area.

miso brags, "My house has more than tripled in 25 years, while the tax increase is less than the rate of inflation thanks to Prop 13. Thus housing in California is essentially free."

Sure it is. Can he sell it?

And California is close to becoming, as a state, what Detroit has become.... all the while blowing money on some hare-brained high-speed rail to nowhere... while ignoring the needs of such "garden spots" as Oakland, Fremont and Milpitas. ...Jim Thompson

There could be, if everyone wasn't afraid of cold weather.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Juneau's not that cold, but it is dark and wet and gloomy a lot of the year. People hang out and drink and smoke dope a lot... there's not much else to do when the Legislature is not in session.

You can't drive anywhere from Juneau. The only way in or out is a plane or a ferry. It does have a nice little ski area on a nearby island.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Not true. Land is cheaper in Florida and Disney didn't want to have shovel snow off the outside areas all winter. Having to import staff who were bright enough to learn how to be polite and helpful was a downside.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Read about Timothy Martin:

Jim no doubt finds his experience to be both amusing and admirable.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I thought California was a nice progressive place that takes care of all. Didn't Brown sign you up for ACA? ...Jim Thompson

The aggregate mental health of both states was improved.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged
demo.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Laugh at this:

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It's a paradise compared to the Delta junction or Fairbanks area, and most people cope without drugs or alcohol. Just because some have no self control, and an addictive personality doesn't mean everyone does. It's people like that who were building a low temperature research facility in the Florida. Greely wasn't 'Gloomy', except to the misfits. The summer days ran up to 23 hours 45 minutes of sunlight, and the winter as short as 15 minutes, but it was only dark during the new moon. The sky was crystal clear, the air fresh and clean. The Northern lights lighting the entire sky is a sight not to be missed by anyone. It's no place for wimps or idiots. It was easy to kill yourself, and the place wasn't crawling with brain dead liberals. There was plenty of hunting, fishing and skiing for those who wanted it. I had plenty of electronics to keep me busy during my year there. Don't try to damn the place, just because you can't cope.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I didn't damn the place, I just said what I saw, during the times I spent there. But cope? I don't smoke dope or drink a lot, and I kind of liked Juneau. What was ultimately hard to cope with was the lady lawyer that I was dating, who lived in Juneau. I'd have moved there if that had worked better.

My experience in dating lady lawyers hasn't been good. I think the law hardens people; everything is about winning and losing, and that spills over into their personal lives.