(OT) Need medical help...

I know this is way off topic for this newsgroup, but I know that some people here are nearing retirement, could probably relate to our problem, and maybe could help point us in the right direction.

My wife's cousin, (Eddie Hisoler is his name, he's 42 years old) who lives in the southern Philippines (Mindanao island, about 400 miles south of Manila) and makes a living as a farmer (and makes about $1 or $2 in income a day), needs a kidney transplant. Without this transplant, he will die. Now, the health care system in the Philippines is nothing like it is in the United States or Europe. Even after he sold everything (his farm, his farm animals) to pay for medical treatment thus far, when the doctors found out that he could not afford to pay for even kidney dialysis, they removed his dialysis tube, stitched him up, and dismissed him from the hospital. He is now at home, waiting to die.

He cannot afford kidney dialysis, needed 3 times a week, and estimated at 15,000 Philippine pesos per dialysis (since about 55 pesos equals $1, this is about $273 a shot). A kidney transplant is available, but will cost one million Philippine pesos (about $18,200).

This is not a spam, my email address works (try it, do an IP address DNS lookup if you don't trust me, I'm in Sacramento, CA).

I'll help out as much as I can too, of course, but since I'm just starting out (I'm a 29-year-old engineer), this chunk of change is a bit beyond me at the moment.

If you know of anyone who can help, or of anyone who knows the right people who can pull the right strings to send a kidney over to the Philippines, my wife and I (and Eddie, of course) would be very grateful.

I'm not sure how immigration for emergency medical reasons works, but if someone knows of a country who will allow him to visit for emergency surgery, please let me know also.

Thank you,

Michael Darrett

Reply to
mrdarrett

Hmm.. why has his kidneys gone bad?

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

[snip]

There are plenty of reasons around - malaria for example ? Sad story.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Hello Michael,

I have contacted our parish nurse about it, she knows the Philippines quite well. Maybe she has some ideas. Even if Eddie would get a transplant he'd very likely incur ongoing costs for medication to combat rejection, probably for the rest of his life.

One other resource would be to contact the pastor of his church over there. We sometimes care for elderly people (mostly in this country) and often our pastor knew about programs that I never heard of. Many of them aren't even church-related.

Will be praying for Eddie.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Thank you for caring, Joerg.

Regarding the cause... we are not certain. He first went to the hospital two weeks ago, and at the time he wasn't sure what was ailing him. Then he got the news from the doctor...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Hello Michael,

Today I talked with our parish nurse after she read your case. Let me outline a typical scenario here on usenet, in case others are searching the web with a similar problem.

She said that usually the method to bring someone into the US for medical treatment is that there needs to be a sponsor and that this should be a physician. If he or she has secured voluntary services or charitable funding for the medical procedure they can assist in obtaining visa etc. A speedy process is possible but normally there needs to be that key sponsor. In your case, for example, UC Davis Medical could be approached about it.

Then, transportation has to be arranged. For transportation one could approach airlines for support, IOW a charitable contribution of air fare. Another option might be organizations like the Corporate Angel Network, a large group of pilots and aircraft owners who volunteer to take cancer patients and people with other medical needs along in their aircraft. Even if they can't offer transport across the Pacific they could provide the crucial link from remote areas to a major airport. I don't know how much of this extends to the Philippines but it cannot hurt to call, they might have contacts there:

The problem in this case can be the availability of a matching donor organ. Typically there are waiting lists and if someone can't have dialysis the usual wait time may just be too long, plus when one is available the transplant operation usually needs to take place immediately. But that would be something that could possibly be discussed with a medical facility.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, but some are better than others. Its a fact of life that one can go out and save everyone else and sometimes one has to face the music. It maybe a sad story or it might not be. If this person lost his kidneys to some sort of abuse then does he deserve any help over someone who lost theres to something out of there control?

It might be sad but its life.

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance