OT: Make a limited XP account without losing settings?

Can't you still use MicroSim Schematics? Can one still obtain it?

I like LTSpice's thermometer thingie, when you want to know how hot a chip or some other stuff gets.

Not here, I live by them. At clients I am actually known to be a bit on the "insisting" side when it comes to specs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The last time I updated you were still able to _force_ them to give you a copy. I don't know about now. Charlie E ??

You can plot actual and average power in Probe.

I also have a variety of macros for checking SOA... which can otherwise sneak by you.

As you well know I'm also just a wee-bit on the "insisting" side, to the point sometimes of having associates worry that I'm too forceful. When I point out that I'd be satisfied if they would take responsibility for "signing off", they run for cover :-)

I've just been thoroughly chastised privately for insisting on facts and charge conservation, so I've decided that I'll no longer comment on crap, and just let caveat emptor take its toll.

Real design problems I'll respond to by private E-mail. I see that as only a minor loss to this group... most of the lurkers (and questioners) here really belong on SEB... they're barely students and/or are long-term ignorant :-(

Bye! ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

My experience in industry -- which only began in the mid-'90s, mind you -- is that "specification" are more like a target to shoot for, but no one really expects you're going to actually hit it.

These days, "close" is good enough for horse shoes, hand grenades, and engineering specs. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Can you save plot setups? That's one thing that annoys me about LTspice -- sure, it's easy to go and probe around and plot whatever you want, but a month later when you have to re-visit the design, it'd sure be nice if it had a command that could have remembered all the plots you ended up with previously.

Hmm... maybe it could be done in LTspice if the netlist lets you use .plot commands or similar? -- It occurs to me that on a schematic a "saved plot" is really just a regular old SPICE component that generates a .plot line; they've just hooked it up to a nice GUI to adjust, e.g., plot names or equations or whatever rather than making you know the full syntax of the netlist file command.

I think it's similar to religion -- whenever you're going to adopt a strong strand on an issue as fundamental as charge conservation (ne, creationism/evolution), a "soft sell" is often the best approach. :-) ...although I realize that, unlike religion, charge conservation requires no faith whatsoever and can be experimentally demonstrated.

Unfortuntaely I think that SED likely has no more than, say, a hundred "regulars" left anyway; in another 5-10 years I wouldn't be surprised if most everyone here is looking for a web forum-based alternative (...which is really too bad, because the Usenet model with the reader of your choice on your PC and just transferring the raw text from the servers is rather more efficient...).

Part of the problem with the educational system today is the combination of (a) pumping kids full of self-esteem (warranted or not) along with (b) a dumbing down of the course work: (a) will make it so that none would think of themselves as not knowing the basics, but (b) is what makes it so.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Chip customers won't generally go for "targets" unless they're agreed to up-front. On difficult chips I often have a specifications phase/milestone where all specs must be agreed to by both sides or either side can walk away. Changing to "target" to break a dead-lock sometimes happens ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Yep. In PSpice Probe Setup, just check Restore Last Probe Session

Yes. I can also export just the data I want to save to a .DAT file, then append to following runs to get an "overlay" comparison.

I've recently used the old-fashioned .PRINT (from DOS days) to generate tabular data. This could be pasted into a PWL source if you were so inclined.

I do that all the time... make symbols to insert all kinds of things into a schematic... like the netlist of a piece of a chip that is the customer's design.

As a result I probably have 10X as many symbols as PSpice originally came with :-)

I'll be learning more LTspice. I've been a list subscriber for more than three years, making generic Spice contributions from time-to-time.

I'm going to spend more time over there (with Woodgate) and much less time here. Lurkers here seem to prefer bloviation to fact :-(

I consider "soft-selling" science to be dereliction of duty :-)

"Circuits" isn't taught anymore, just "IT" (which I consider to be the oxymoron of all oxymorons). ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Maybe -> Plot Settings -> Save Plot is what you are looking for.

[...]

Could be worse. In 10-20 years some of the regulars here might have transitioned into assisted living ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If they'd ever fix Crapture, an upgrade would be desirable. However they haven't tried, so we're at Crapture 15.7 also. The other hardware engineer will drag his feet there a lot longer for the same reason you are.

Reply to
krw

I am exactly in such a phase with a chip design spec right now. Trying to make sure everyone is on the same page. Can't say that it is fun :-(

So, you really want to leave us all alone here? I remember a few years ago where you responded to a question of why you posted some OT remark "Well, I live here!"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe. Maybe not. 20 Years from now I'll be 90. My father died at

90... never spent a day in assisted care. And up to that point he was pushing regularly taking a zinc supplement... "improves your sex life" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Specs? They won't even give us requirements. Specs are impossible when the requirements move at the product manager's whim.

Reply to
krw

is

I'll be around, just not as a poster commenting on crap circuits.

Crap circuits will be left to languish and to attract suckers.

Factual comments don't seem to be appreciated by the m'asses, so I'll just not comment at all ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Unix always (well, in recent years) accepted blanks in filenames (only two chars not allowed are \0 and '/', being the path terminator and directory delimiter), but they then need to be quoted, and there's a long-running convention that says 'don't do spaces in filepaths'.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

If your base machine is big enough, 1 GiB ram and 2000 MHz sags more than i like for that use.

Yeah, but i like KDE3.

I will be going VitrualBox (unless Oracle mucks things up).

Reply to
JosephKK

for

there

like

Windows

These days i would expect them to insist on encrypted VPN with SSH.

Reply to
JosephKK

The source is often distributed in a different RPM or DEB or whatever.

Package manager style distributions are rather unfriendly to source packages. You have spent too long dealing only with Slackware.

Reply to
JosephKK

Unix itself has never had a problem with spaces in filename. Heck, it doesn't have a problem with newlines or control characters in filenames. The only bytes which absolutely aren't permitted in a filename are the null byte ('\0') and the slash ('/') character.

Spaces are only a problem when embedding a filename within a larger body of text which uses spaces for its own purposes. The most common example being shell scripts. If a program doesn't like filenames which contain spaces, it's probably because of something like:

sprintf(buf, "doit %s", filename); system(buf);

Reply to
Nobody

Well, the Allegro team was basically like any Cadence product. First, Cadence buys a company, and integrates its tools into their 'flow.' Then, they lay off the entire development team, or at least, anyone that really knows what they are doing. They retain a few managers, and maybe an 'expert' or two.

Then, it comes time to do the next release. Since they laid off anyone that knew what they were doing, they bring in a few coders from other products, and try adding a feature or two. By the way, the ones they 'retained' are now super-experts, who believe that their own code has no bugs, and their excrement has no odor. If THEY couldn't implement a feature, then it obviously ain't possible, so quit asking about it! As for fixing old bugs, like problems with spaces or long file names, that is boring. Give that problem to someone in India or something. By the way, don't change anything in 'these' sections of code. We don't know what they do, but if you change anything the whole build crashes...

Actually, NO! I am presently using Orcad 15.7 because it was the last version you could get a perpetual, transferable license for...

Reply to
Charlie E.

You know, I don't know. I was at a 'Lunch and Learn' tuesday, and Greg kinda skipped around the issue! ;-)

Reply to
Charlie E.

Not going to argue about when it became allowed, but just a couple of days ago, discovered that i had several directories in one place with leading spaces in the name. Seeing the confusion that could cause i moved them to names without leading spaces.

Reply to
JosephKK