OT: Justice?

Three men have been breaking into an area Orlando junkyard stealing aluminum wheels and airbags. Last night they were back, and one of them set off the airbag he was trying to steal. It put him in the hospital, and the other two are now in jail. :)

This was reported by WFTV on their 11:00 PM news, but there are no details on their website yet.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If that happened in the UK, the yard owner would be arrested for setting a "man trap"!!!

Reply to
ian field

How? They only remove parts as they are resold. Unless you could prove that the owner had tampered with it and rigged it to go off, he isn't responsible. There were "No Trespassing" warnings and signs stating: "Employees only, due to insurance limitations." He cut his way into the business lot and did over $3000 in thefts and damage before he tried to pry that airbag out of its mount and set it off. He should have been charged with criminal stupidity, and made arrangements for him to receive the "Darwin Award" Those stolen airbags find their way back into cars at crooked body shops, rather than install new or rectified parts. That accident might have saved someone else's life.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It seems to be something of a habit to look for any charges that can be levelled at the victim, perhaps this is intended to discourage complaints so the police can spend more time in the tea break room!

Reply to
ian field

Ian, You are "twisted". Here in Arizona we frown on idiots and actually have a law labeled "stupid driver law"... drive into a flooded wash and you PAY for your rescue ;-)

...Jim Thompson

snip

Indeed, The UK seems to have lost the plot; . For instance

Pensioner fined £50 for feeding pigeons..

An outraged pensioner told yesterday how she was fined £50 for feeding crumbs to pigeons. Beryl Withers, 81, had just finished eating a sandwich during a lunchtime shopping trip when she emptied out the remaining crumbs for the birds. But as she moved to put the empty packet in the bin she was stopped by two council wardens who told her she had broken the law.

The incident happened in Nottingham, recently branded the most crime-plagued city in Britain and notoriously overrun by guns and drugs.

In May, research compiled using police statistics and population data by the Reform think-thank showed that Nottingham had 115.5 crimes for every 1,000 residents, four times the level of the safest towns. Already dubbed Gun City, it also had the highest number of murders per

100,000 population, with 5.21, and featured in the worst five towns or cities for robbery, burglary, assault, rape and gun crime.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Just wait..the thieves can still find a lawyer to sue the *** out of the junkyard owner - - - and win!

Reply to
Robert Baer

So there are a few small isolated areas where sanity prevails. Just do yourbest to keep them from shrinking...

Reply to
Robert Baer

BUT...the pigeons might *die* from eating too much, thereby adding to the death rate and increasing the horrible stain on the area....

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yabut gun criminals might shoot them and druggies carry knives!!!

Reply to
ian field

Yet another saga with the mental case in the flat above springs to mind - when the nutter took to throwing things at my windows and I reported this to the police (criminal damage) they said they couldn't do anything without proof, I said fine! I'll videotape the next attack. The police response: "if you do that we'll arrest you for invasion of privacy"!

Same old story - discourage complaints and get longer skiving!

Reply to
ian field

stealing

no

way

he

him

back

complaints

"if

Had a garden wall pulled over by a group of toerags. First and pretty much only question the police asked was "do you have the incident on video". I replied "Course not". They then reply there's nothing they can do. If it's not a murder, or involves overtime or a motorist, then they can't be arsed to do f*ck all. (got the little bastard that did the wall though :) john

Reply to
John Jardine.
[snip]

Don't you just love that crap?

We had overnight visitors. While their rental car was parked in our driveway someone busted out a side window to get in and search for any loot. Fortunately there was nothing to take.

The cops didn't come out at all, just took a report over the phone... no wonder they can't solve any crimes :-(

'Course sometimes you get at least a little even...

My oldest son and I were unloading groceries from the car, making multiple trips back and forth from the carport into the house.

On one trip I said to my son, "Wasn't Duane's bicycle just parked here"?

Someone had grabbed the bike in between our trips into the house.

Aaron took off into the darkness on his own bicycle, and I called the cops.

Cop arrives and is taking the report.

Aaron comes back pushing two bicycles.

He'd caught up with the thief, some young punk, beat the crap out of him, grabbed the bike and walked them both back home.

The cop was pissed. He seemed to think Aaron shouldn't have done that... so they could "solve" the crime.

I told the cop to get lost before I called Herbie (Herb Drinkwater, mayor of Scottsdale at the time, and our neighbor).

I enjoyed that so-o-o-o much ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Tea? Break room? No damn wonder your cops are useless! They need dozens of doughnuts, and lots of steaming hot coffee in the cruiser to keep them wide awake and wired so they want to go out and kick some perp's ass!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

a=20

Wait just a minute! Haven't been told here for years that there=20 are no guns in Britain?=20

--=20 Keith

Reply to
Keith

*Few* guns, not *no* guns. And no matter how much or how little crime of various sorts there is in a country, there is always going to be a worst town.

Just for comparison, the first hit on Google for "murder rate by city" has a list of the US cities in 2002 - fully half of the 333 cities have a higher rate that than the worst spot in the UK. I don't know what percentage are gun crimes, of course.

But it's news to me that Nottingham is so bad - I always thought Manchester was the bottom of the heap in the UK.

Reply to
David Brown

ing a=20

ng

...and when it's a crime to own a gun only criminals will own guns. =20 No thanks; bad plan.

=20

Your assignment:

- Compare and contrast murder rate vs. gun control laws in those cities. =20

- What happens after gun controls are tightened. =20

- What happens to the violent crime rate when guns are made easier to obtain.

Doesn't matter what city. The fact is that it's dangerous to arm=20 only criminals.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
Keith

Not so long ago Manchester was dubbed "Gunchester" by locals!!!

Reply to
ian field

When it is a crime to own a gun, and a bigger crime to sell or supply guns, it is much harder for the criminals to get guns. So in the UK, very few criminals have guns, and it doesn't matter than almost none of the non-criminal population (not even many of the police) have guns. Good plan.

Moving from a society with many guns to one with few guns would be difficult (I don't know if there are any examples), and take a long time. It may even be impossible, though I have no doubt that you could get somewhere along the way. But there is no doubt that in the UK there are far fewer guns than in the USA, owning a handgun (outside of a gun club) is illegal, and gun crime (in particular, actual shootings) is far lower than the USA. That's fact, not opinion, and meaningless to discuss. Whether the USA could ever get to the relatively gun-safe state of the UK or not is a very different question.

Anyone who thinks they can reduce gun crime in a city by restricting gun access within the city, while access elsewhere nearby is free, is a fool. Such a system would reduce the guns owned by law-abiding citizens while doing nothing for the guns owned by criminals. Any successful gun control in the USA would have to be entirely across the country.

That's why gun control proponents want to control the guns owned by criminals as well as those owned by law-abiding people.

Reply to
David Brown

tting a=20

ding

er

or

=20

=20

=20

It doesn't seem to be working for you, at least in the real world.

=20

=20

=20

In the mean time (assuming you're right and you aren't, about=20 anything) the law abiding citizens are just so much meat? =20

=20

e=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

There is a reason we threw you folks out. =20

I "want" Bill Gates' money and world peace too.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
Keith