OT: Hexcel

Switch to open office? :)

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

I hate M$ junk! I have a spreadsheet made years ago, so do not ask what i did to get the following problems.

1) It is impossible to print all 6 sheets to file; the first 4 print to , the 5th to and the last to . Absolutely NO clue as to how to fix this crap. 2) Sheet 6 looks larger than sheets 1-5 even tho all cells are exactly the same size and the font(s) aer exactly the same. Again, absolutely NO clue as to how to fix this crap. 3) In any spreadsheet, insert a sheet and i get lots of horizontal and vertical lines; again impossible to remove ("format" has ZERO effect). A copy from a decent-looking sheet has no effect.

Like i said, M$ junk.

Anybody know how to fix this garbage?

Reply to
Robert Baer

t i did to get

There are lots of possibilities here. The first thing to try is to see if any cells are merged. If so, formatting those may have little, if any visible effect on screen.

I consider myself an Excel expert!! But you have really not given me enough to go by. Like what version of Excel, etc.. Is all data static, or is Excel grabbing live data, or SQL fetches, etc...

For the horiz & vert lines, these are controlled under File - Page Setup - Sheet - Print Guidelines Checkbox. File - Page Setup - Page will adjust scaling (your problem with sheet 6?)

If that fails...

Another thing you might try, is open a new, blank workbook. Then, open the one you're having trouble with and copy each page (select all, copy, paste) into the new workbook sheet-by-sheet and see if that helps. (This assumes the worksheet / workbook is not password protected). If so, unprotect either or both as needed.

You could also have a major problem with your personal.XLS file (usually hidden), and you can blow this away and Microsoft will re- create a new fresh, uncorrupted version. Note: If this is the problem, it will usually affect all workbooks. (with some caveats, such as sharing a open file on a network, etc..) Google search the personal.xls corruption issue.

Or, your copy of Excel could be corrupted. Hey, it does happen, but it's pretty rare. If you take the file to another machine running Excel and it behaves the same, then you can probably rule out Excel.

Also, check for page breaks & pages per sheet setting under File - Page Setup - Sheet

If all else fails, you can run a quick VBA script to remove all formatting. If you're lazy, I think the Excel Power Utilities Pak has a function for that. Google search it. Or I'll send you my script. (Currently on another PC)

Otherwise, I don't know off the top of my head how to help you, as I would need a lot more to go on. Good luck.

Reply to
mpm

If the MS stuff worked, I would be out of business.

My guess(tm) is that you have an non-updated version of Excel.

  1. From your unspecified version of Excel, run: Help -> Detect and Repair Have you Excel or MS Office disks handy.
  2. Updates? If you have Excel XP (2002) or later, use Windoze or Microsoft Update. Be sure to use IE6 or IE7.
  3. If you have Excel 2000 go to:
    Be sure to use IE6 or IE7. In the upper right hand corner, hit "Check for Updates". You'll get a new page. On the left is a column labelled "Downloads". For Office 2000, click on: Updates -> Office Update It will try to authenticate, authorize, and drive you insane with DLL installs. Just do it. Eventually, you will be blessed with a total of about 100Mbytes of assorted downloads depending on Office version. Download and install literally every update. Figure on 3-4 download ordeals punctuated by an equal number of reboots. You will need your Office 2000 or Word 2000 cdrom.
  4. If you're using the spreadsheet that came with MS Works, it's not Excel and does weird things when fed Excel spreadsheets. Same ordeal as above. Do the updates.

If that doesn't fix it, come back with an organized complaint that includes exact product name, version numbers, and operating system.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

** The "Excel" is courtesy of M$ Office 2000 Premium; other than macros that have local references, data is static; NO networks, NO SQL.
** Will check that..

** NO protections or passwords; will try this also.
** "personal.XLS" file?? Sounds like a M$ crock..

** All sheets are set the same - been double checked. I have done some historical "forensics and found a 4-page Quattro (DOS, before Win95) spreadsheet where the info was in one rather wide format; Most likely openened in some version of Hexcel then a 5th sheet added as each sheet is a year for a business plan forecast. The 6th year was added much later.
** Thanks for the pointers!
Reply to
Robert Baer

** Are you insane? Since i am on dial-up, that would take a few DAYS making the ASS-u-ME-ption that there were no data drop-outs. Not going to happen.
Reply to
Robert Baer

OK; did a few things that were of a little help.

1) Created a new spreadsheet, made 6 sheets. Comment: ALL sheets had the damn lines which could not be removed. 2) Formatted all sheets the same: courier 10, no protection. 3) "Copied" each sheet from the old spreadsheet to the new spreadsheet. "Copy" does not copy everything, so i do not call it "copy" but a half-assed attempt to gull the user into thinking that it works. *The non-lined attribute is NOT copied. *Page setup is all AFU, had to change that on all sheets. *Formatting of all cells not copied; some were x.xxx when original was x.x *References to other sheets were totally screwed up; they were ALTERED to refer to the _original_ spreadsheet, so here "copy" screws the user as one must laborously fix all of the damn references (if the user is lucky to remember where they all were). *The sizes of the various cells were *almost* the same between sheets

- which is good, so on that aspect i cannnot complain that the larger size on the old sheet6 did not get copied. But why "almost"? *Printing the whole workbook to Acrobat resulted in all 6 pages (sheets) without a hitch - a large improvement. What i have: M$ Excel 2000 build 9.0.2720 (from the "help" menu). Have not tried the "repair" route. I understand that there is a non-obvious "trick" to get rid of those damn horizontal ahd vertical lines (in a given sheet), so i tried fiddling around to no avail.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...oh, forgot: there is NO "personal.XLS" file anywhere (search gave "not found") on the hard drive; also i can see all hidden and system files and it aint nowhere (unless in that garbage pit mistrakenly called the "registry").

Reply to
Robert Baer

be removed.

You mean Horiz & Vertical lines on the screen, or on paper?

If on screen, click Tools - Options - View - and uncheck the Gridlines box. (or, I guess you can set the gridlines to the same as the background color - which is all I think this box does?)

If on printed paper, go to File - Page Setup - Sheet and uncheck gridlines there.

Sounds good. Can't hurt anyway....

If they're just the wrong sizes (i.e., in the way, but not objectionable), then you can select the columns and rows and either autoformat or set as appropriate.

copy" but a

ts.

hen original

hey were

My bad. I should have warned you there is also a "Paste Special" command, which will give you greater control over what actually gets pasted (from the copy).

between sheets

To retain the cell height & width, etc... you would have had to use the Paste Special command. But in this case, you were probably right NOT to, as you are trying to rid all the formatting and start with something clean(er) and fresh.

l 6 pages

Congrats!

elp" menu).

It sounds like it probably does not require repair. (?) But it does appear the default formatting is all screwy. I would re-check the personal.xls (or any other macros you might have).

That you could not find Personal.xls may in fact be the whole problem??!! See if you can find it under the VB macro editor I described above. If not, here are the directions to make a new one.

tml

(Though honestly, I was 99.995% sure Excel would do this step on its own, if it ever needed to.) Unless, of course, the file really is there, and its corrupt. That seems to be the case here. Maybe best to make a new one anyway?

The macros in Personal.xls should apply to every workbook you ever open. Think of them as the primary default. Macros you create and save with the workbook will override these settings. It is generally not a good idea, in my opinion, to store private macros in public spaces (such as personal.xls). But ocassionally, it happens by mistake or ??

t rid of those

I think I answered this one at the top of this reply. If not, let me know.

Also, not sure if I mentioned it previously but... Make sure the workbook is not shared too. Most likely it is not, or you would know it. If shared, be aware under Tools - Sharing there is an option to preserve the format using either your machine settings (what you want), or the last machine to touch the file(s). (What you don't want!)

Also, make sure you don't have any custom view sets. See: View - Custom Views etc... Again, you probably don't have these set.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Oops. I think I forgot to tell you where to look for Personal.xls.....

You should see it under Tools - Macros - VB Editor If you don't have any workbooks open, it will be the only VBA project listed. Snoop around the objects and models and see if you find what's causing your formatting woes.

If Personal.xls won't open (it's text), then obviously blow it away per the instructions I sent earlier. Good luck.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Yeah I'm insane for trying to help someone with an apparent inability to find the version of their software and operating system.

Then cease complaining about Excel problems. Those were probably fixed long ago by Microsloth. How you get your fix is your problem. Some of my customer drag their PC's to my palatial office for an update and general cleanup at erratic intervals. Surely you have some friend or neighbor with broadband that you can use for updates?

You can also get Office updates on CDROM:

Office 2002 (office XP) thru Office 2007 only.

By the way, you're welcome.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

** I did some Google snooping and found that Tools/Options etc solution, which works nicely. Exactly what i was looking for. Thanks.
** In the original file, the number of pixels was exactly the same both horizontally and verticallt, and the fonts were exactly the same - BUT - the damn sheets displayed differently (larger on last sheet) in both directions. At least the "copy" !almost! fixed that (that is to say, one must be a nitpicker to complain about rather small differences).
** Too late now; i think i have all of the references fixed.
** Hunh?? Paste Special would have brought accros that wierd sizing problem? Ain't M$ absolutely wonderful???
** The only macros i have are in cells that do things like TIMES something, which may be a constant or a reference to a specific fixed cell (eg: Year1!$B$5).
** Will check next time i use that HD and OS; thanks.
** Never even thought about private macros...
** You did, and that trick works great (like i said). Thanks again.

** Absolutely NOT shared and zero custom views - mainly i never heard of such foolisments.
Reply to
Robert Baer
** previous mess deleted ** 1) Tools | Macro | VB Editor did not show any projects. 2) OS "search" facility did not find "person*.*" (no quotes). 3) Otherwise followed the procedure; low and behold, Tools | Macro | VB Editor *did* show one project "VBA Project(PERSONAL.XLS)" (no quotes). Do not have the faintest idea as to how to test or what to check for. Note: the wonderful OS "search" facility *still* did not find "person*.*" (no quotes) so it is very well hidden - maybe it is in that garbage pit called the "registry"?. OS: Win2K SP4; Hexcel from M$ Office 2000 Premium.
Reply to
Robert Baer