High current op-amp, small through-hole package

Hello,

I need an op-amp for a buffer application (in DC) with this features:

  • single supply: +5V
  • high output current: > 100 mA
  • package: through-hole, small as possible like TO220 or metallic case

What would you recommend?

Thanks! Marco / iw2nzm

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

Is the current always being sorced or sunk into the opamp. If so then an emitter follower with a NPN (for sourcing) or PNP (sinking) would do the trick.

If you can take some small zero cross distortion you cna place a totem ploe (npn/pnp stacked) on the output and take the feedback from the emitters. With a reasonably fast Opamp the crossover distortion will be small when viewed on the scope. If you going for a high fidielty (audio) you may need something more elaborate.

Linear and National used to make some nice buffers but I think they're going. Now that I'm tiniking about it National makes some "boomer" series power opamps than source some current. have a look.

TI also has some power opamps.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Mook Johnson ha scritto:

Nope. I only have to buffer a Vref of a DAC (2V). So using an NPN after a buffer should do the trick if I have the space to place both op-amp and bjt.

Thanks! Marco / iw2nzm

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

How about abusing a regulator like the LT3080. If the load is always sinking it works as a voltage follower with a low offset voltage.

Reply to
MooseFET

MooseFET ha scritto:

It could be an idea. Thanks for the input

Marco / iw2nzm

Reply to
Marco Trapanese