OT: Got cholesterol?

Well, finally got in for that eye check thingis - the doc says there's no chance I had a stroke with a BP of 126/88; I apparently have no cataracts, and just for S&G I asked them for my lab results, especially cholesterol, the boogeyman du jour; here's my results, tabulated:

Total Cholesterol: Best: Less then 150: Mine: 212

But the doctor says, that's misleading, because that's the _total_.

My numbers were skewed by my LDL, or "Good Cholesterol": Best: More than 60; Mine: 119

HDL, or "Bad Cholesterol": Best: Less than 100; Mine: 84

Triglicerides: Best: Less than 150; Mine: 47

Apparently, I'm healthier than a horse! I wonder if riding my bike a couple of miles a day has anything to do with that, or if it's just my positive attitude about self-care!

How'd youse guys do on yours?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm gonna vote for the bike... :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

No: best is < 100, not more than 60 for LDL

No: best is > 60, not less than 100.

If you have a heart condition, you should try to get your LDL below

100... That's not easy, but it can help in some people.

Your HDL of 84 is fantastic, wish I had half that. I occasionally get in to the mid-30s, I may have broken into 40 once or twice, not often!

Reply to
PeterD

Time to get on the bike and go out and get you a nice jumbo bacon cheese burger and a nice chocolate malt!

Reply to
RS at work

You have that backward. HDL is the good cholesterol, LDL is the bad. HDL and LDL stand for High Density Lipoprotein and Low Density Lipoprotein, respectively. Easy way to remember which is the good and which is the bad: you want to have High levels of High Density, and Low levels of Low Density.

If your triglycerides are that low, I'm guessing you simply stated the HDL and LDL backward...

I'm betting on the bike.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Don't know the numbers, they just say it looks good. I take Simvastatin for cholesterol, Metoprolol for a lower heart rate, and Asprin to thin my blood. BP averages around 125. I walk a couple miles a day.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

You can remember the "good' / "bad" cholesterol by remembering:

L is for LOUSY

It's the low density (fluffy) stuff that makes the buildup. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

None of that. You just chose the right parents.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Are you sure? Is your doctor joking?

LDL (Bad) Cholesterol When too much LDL (bad) cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the inner walls of the arteries that feed the heart and brain. Together with other substances, it can form plaque, a thick, hard deposit that can narrow the arteries and make them less flexible. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. If a clot forms and blocks a narrowed artery, heart attack or stroke can result.

HDL (Good) Cholesterol About one-fourth to one-third of blood cholesterol is carried by high- density lipoprotein (HDL). HDL cholesterol is known as "good" cholesterol, because high levels of HDL seem to protect against heart attack. Low levels of HDL (less than 40 mg/dL) also increase the risk of heart disease. Medical experts think that HDL tends to carry cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver, where it's passed from the body. Some experts believe that HDL removes excess cholesterol from arterial plaque, slowing its buildup.

Reply to
linnix

Off topic here, but read

on the benefits of certain oils and the disadvantages of others.

Apparently the impoortant thing is not quite as simple as LDL/HDL, but is the particle size of the LDL cholesterol carriers. That is down to the correct oils in your diet.

may be of interest though I've not written up my cholesterol experiences.

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
http://www.Torrens.org.uk for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!
Reply to
Richard Torrens (News)

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:i95mnj$7u8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Are you trying to be insulting?

Because what your implying isnt really an insult.Quite flattering actually.

Think about it.

Reply to
Hammy

H is for healthy, HDL is the good stuff, Mine is always low, in the high 30's

Reply to
amdx

Cholestrol is mostly heridtary. Even though my father tended to go above 200, mine's about 160. I tend to be borderline HT 140/80 is norm. 150/90 high, 130/70 low.

I could probably do better, stop tobacco, alcohol, caffene intake.

greg

Reply to
GregS

130/70 low.

Caffeine does a better job of reducing the swelling in my legs than the prescribed HCTZ. :(

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sadly, I can't eat bacon because of my deteriorating teeth, and for malts, I prefer strawberry. :-)

But there's a Wendy's, an In-n-Out Burger, and a Weinerschnitzel within bike distance. ;-)

But I really, really miss White Castle "greasy sliders." (I'm transplanted from Minnesota to So. Cal.)

I'm tempted to try the frozen microwavable ones, just to see if they're anything like fresh.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

OOps! Yup! My transcription error - I just looked again at the sheet I got at the clinic, and imagine my surprise - it says "LDL (Bad) ..." at which I got 84, and "HDL (Good) ..." at which I got 119. If you swap them in my original post, I'm still doing real good. :-)

Yup! Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When the doc came into the exam room to give me the lab report, he said, "Geez! Your cholesterol is better than mine, and I'm on meds!" He looked to be in his early 30's. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yup. My error has been pointed out, and I'm sorry if I caused any confusion with my "typo". :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I had quit smoking for a while years ago, then my feet started to swell some.

Reply to
GregS

Nah, I screwed up when I wrote the original post. My LDL is 84, my HDL is 119. :-)

(good explanation snipped.)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise