Got Fet?

I need a 1200v mosfet near a half amp or amp.

This is for a flyback that runs off of 600v mains for motor drive. By the time I fit in decel limit override and overvoltage trip point the bus can get up to about 1000v. I figure I will have to pay attention to flyback voltage and I might be able to squeek by.

Package in TO-220 or TO-247 might be best.

FYI Sanyo makes a nice 1500v part, but cost$. I also see that ST micro makes 1500v mosfet now too.

regards, Bob

Reply to
Yzordderrex

Ok, which one?

regards, Bob

Reply to
Yzordderrex

I'll go poke around some. I don't really have a lot of hope for bipolar. I don't think the TI UC38C44 current mode power supply controller will like to drive it very well. Probably not much gain on the part. I got a slick design that runs good with a Topswitch and a

800v fet on top, but boss says it takes up too much room. Other design uses 1500v Sanyo part but boss says too expensive.

regards, Bob

Reply to
Yzordderrex

Love it! That TL431 plus opto-coupler load-side sensing could be straight out of my mid '70's SMPS's that I designed for GenRad.

...Jim Thompson

Spehro,

I've got some of them ST Micro parts in my toy box. Got eng samples last year. I'll check em out.

There's probably a few billion power supplies using that feedback scheme. I've put at least a million out there by myself. Thanks for the circuit if it's the one you did Jim.

regards, Bob

Reply to
Yzordderrex

I have to dig thru my paper archives but, IIRC, my version used back-to-back opto-couplers to narrow the range of loop gain variation, and had soft start and current limit as well. This was in the PSP (Portable Service Processor) testers, which had 128 (again IIRC, or was it 256 :-) of my custom designed pin driver chips.

...Jim Thompson

I presume this is just a few watts to power the drive itself? Why not use a BJT ?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

2SC(something-or-other) would be a good start. 5148 maybe (1500V), but I can't do your shopping for you. Try Hitachi, Toshiba etc.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You could also consider a hybrid emitter switched biplar transistor (ESBT).. don't know about the cost though. They are specifically targetted at your type of auxilliary supply application.

Eg:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

This app note may be more appropriate:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Do you know who designed the TL431 chip?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I forget who does it, but they even make optos with the TL431 built in.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I don't know. But I fell in love with that chip when it first hit the market... some many uses.

...Jim Thompson