OT Fred Thompson

The other day, I saw a snippet of interview, where Fred Thompson said, "I haven't even spent a penny, and already I'm in the middle of the pack!"

But people seem to *trust* him - I believe it's because he reminds them of Dr. Phil. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Richard The Dreaded Libertarian wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

Perhaps you ought to read his recent opinion pieces. townhall.com and National review carry them.

He has more smarts than all the DemocRATic contenders put together. But he's not very photogenic.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I think he has the "presidential appearance" thing down pat. He's a "personality." He manages to say a lot of what I want to hear. I doubt I'd vote for him.

I'd vote Mc Cain.

Or ideally one of the long shots(Mike Gravel or Ron Paul) because I think the government is broken and needs a wake up call.

Newsgroups
default

When and if he really gets in, you can expect to see his numbers drop. Right now the media is treating him very well and none of the others have spent much time on attacking him. Once he gets into the race, the others will open up on him.

The Daily Show pointed up an interesting problem he has. Fred Thompson played a flaming racist and near nazi some years back. This will give him trouble with the portion of the electorate that can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality. The Daily Show did not go on to point out that this would be the bulk of the Republican base.

If the republicans nominate Fred Thompson, it will make life much easier for the democratic party. All they would have to do is make sure they don't nominate Mike Gravel and they have the election easily. Even Gravel could beat Thompson if the media had been as good to him as they have been to Thompson.

Reply to
MooseFET

Sounds like you think like a Democrat??

Why? Those of us up close and personal with him know he's the pluperfect con man.

Ron Paul is an idiot.

...Jim Thompson

default wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

McCain is anti-gun,anti free-speech;he's a co-author of McCain-Feingold. No way I'd vote for him.

Romney,if not Fred.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Vote for Pogo!

Reply to
Robert Baer

You don't have to even be be close. My wife would rather vote for Hillary, and she *hates* the Clintons.

Yepper! The only negative IQ in the bunch.

--
  Keith
Reply to

...and give him a chance to show them to be the fools they are. He is rather good at debating. His talent as an actor shows.

He's more recently played a fair, but hang-em-high prosecutor. That will play equally well.

Please! Hillary has the nomination in the bag.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Nope, both parties turn me off - hate the oligarchy. Jeffersonian Constitutionalist if I had to pick a party.

I guess I'm conned. Basically we don't choose presidents on their ability or IQ - we choose them on their ability to raise money, and look important.

I never seem to vote "for" anyone, just against the ones I dislike more. I can't remember voting for anyone who actually got elected.

Agreed, Bush makes him look like a genius . . . Clinton is a genius and made a lousy president. IMHO

John Edwards is only a pretty face with a lot of ambition and greed; Hillary is an ugly face with a lot of ambition and greed - they are just there trying to get elected. Obama? don't know - they just found him and figured he looked good? Lesser of evils and might appeal to more people than either Eddy or Bubette?

Newsgroups
default

Discussing it may be moot. What we should do, is ask Diebold who we are electing and quit screwing around.

Newsgroups
default

OK

default

Really? Your opinion? Have you watched her on CSPAN?

default

I "was" going to stay out of this.... But I pared down my original response to just these key points:

  1. I don't think it matters who the Republicans nominate? There is a tidal wave of negativity crashing down on the Party (some would argue for good reason), and at base, I don't think the electorate feels any more safe, or secure, or richer, or healthier, or better educated, or better insulated from intrusive government prying, or even more Americanized as a result of their policies.

  1. No one seems to notice how fortuitous it was that not MORE Republican seats were up for re-election in the MidTerms.!!! The landslide would have been a lot worse. (I submit it is only being delayed.)

5 - You have to give credit to anyone who wants to get involved in this mess! (Rep, Dem, or Indep). Would you really want this job?? I think I would rather pull my teeth out with dull pliers.

6 - As for picking a winner. Hillary's a woman and Obama's african- american. This country is still probably too hung up on that. So that's cloudy. Which sucks, but that's America for you.

7 - I would like to see Edwards either on the Ticket, or heavily involved. It may be an act, but his heart seems to be in the right place to govern.
Reply to
mpm

[snip]

Bwahahahahahaha! He's an ambulance-chasing lawyer.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Where's the fun in that?

You give the American electorate a lot of credit. The media shifts (our) attention to Paris Hilton and we forget about what is important. And probably feel more safe as a result - head in the sand syndrome. Avoid thinking about that which makes one uneasy or forces one to think and accept responsibility.

I hope you are right. The democrats are the lessor of evils IMHO.

No I wouldn't want the job, even with the perks. You are applying logic to irrational people. These are people who never got to be playground monitors, or got bullied a lot, or felt inferior, or are insecure. They are damaged goods and compensating. They crave power even if they are incompetent to handle it, and delude themselves into thinking all the pomp and ceremony means they are very important people.

Hillary is just greedy arrogant and craves power. Obama?

Edwards is just playing the part. Not saying he wouldn't make a "good" president - just the pickings are so slim.

Anyone who wants the position should be disqualified in my opinion. Only an idiot would want to be president, when one thinks about the stewardship involved, people who you will harm by your decisions, the harm you might do for generations to come. It is a job that would grind down a man of integrity, compassion and empathy - which goes a long way to explaining why we elect idiots and thieves - they are the only ones dense or greedy enough to want the job.

One only has to watch CSPAN to understand the Senate brain trust.

Newsgroups
default

Certainly. Did you think I was clairvoyant? ...but I haven't been wrong in a long time.

I've seen enough of her. I don't intentionally put myself through more pain.

--
  Keith
Reply to

On Jun 7, 8:45 am, krw wrote: [... Fred Thompson ....]

Creative editing can fix anything including good debating skills. How many times did we hear the Howard Dean scream without the background noise? How many times did be hear the noise he was trying to get over? How many times did the "You are no JFK" get played/ How many times did the few times when Quayle said something smart get played?

Did you know that Bill Kristol wrote the "Murphy Brown" speach for Quayle. Bill Kristol is still considered smart, isn't he?

It actually may not. "Prosecutor" is becoming a bad word.

She peaked too early. The trend for her is down.

Reply to
MooseFET

Hey, he has the power to channel dead girls in court. ...and get away with it.

--
  Keith
Reply to

How do you edit a debate?

Howie is a fruitcake from way back. The scream was just icing.

Yes. Dan Quayle was one of the "comers" until he ran for VP.

He didn't try OJ or Paris.

Don't believe it. She still has the dirty tricks division working for her. They haven't even warmed up.

--
  Keith
Reply to