OT: Engine quiz

Autobahn, (or Montana when no one is looking. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Darn, can't a boy have fun any more?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I have all-season "mud and snow" tires, so I seldom actually go over

100 or so.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Actually longer stroked engines do actually extract more power. However muc h of that is used up fighting the mass of the piston, which becomes very si gnificant at higher RPM and is the reason you wouldn't get infinitely highe r horsepower with infinitely higher RPM if you could work the valves that f ast and feed it enough fuel and air. There eventually comes a point where i t takes all of the engine's torque just to turn the crankshaft.

The trend in normal engines has been to the shorter stroke, cam overlap res ulting in higher than 100 % volumetric efficiency and roller cams so they c ould use ridiculous strong valve springs to prevent valve float.

The fact that the fuel is sold by volume is significant but gasoline is not 12 % heavier than diesel.

Reply to
jurb6006

Anywhere if no one is looking. ;-)

Reply to
krw

A steamer can heat up a jug of water for a long time, and then dump all that thermal energy into a sprint. The second mile wouldn't be as fast.

lunatic fringe electronics

snip

And the third mile would take forever on a car version... but not on a big locomotive!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

But a gently run steam engine doesn't need all the lubrication mechanism.

The thing either blew up or the guy crashed @150 MPH so the point is sort of moot. I figure the car latched and he went over.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

+1
--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Surely not a stock car though. Getting one to 50mph is short lived, the boiler just can't keep up.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Rotational speed is only irrelevant in certain terms. From an engine design perspective, it's critical.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

It probably evened out the lubricant distribution something wonderful, too. Don't stand next to an idling engine, though, wearing a white shirt.

Reply to
whit3rd

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 00:13:33 -0800 (PST), whit3rd Gave us:

No need to mix up 2 cycle fuel for that. The cylinders are so well lubed up it comes out with the exhaust! (probably not a 2 stroke engine though)..

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They do, the Golf R32

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The R now has the 2 liter 4-cyl turbo, punched out to 292 HP somehow.

lunatic fringe electronics

It's completely irrelevant when comparing engines of different technologies. The comparison of piston and turbine engines is silly (or steam and piston).

Reply to
krw

The fact is that a *Stanley*Steamer* broke the land speed record at well over 100MPH, which is what was claimed and disputed.

Reply to
krw

That's like saying a Lada can fly to the moon. It probably could if you strapped a 5 tonne rocket engine on it. But for all normal purposes, a 20hp Stanley will not get you anywhere remotely near 100mph.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

aybe you found a hotrod one? Though I can't think why anyone would do that.

r end of the market, relatively.

boiler just can't keep up.

If you want to be pedantic/precise, a heavily modified Stanley Steamer is n o longer a Stanley Steamer. It's just like claiming a Ford Transit can do 3

00mph when really most of the chassis is missing, the suspension replaced a nd a 600hp engine fitted in the back.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Of course you're wrong. I didn't claim any such thing. It's more like you claimed I said such a thing and are now claiming that I'm wrong. IOW, pure BS.

Reply to
krw