60mm Fan hood??

I have an application that requires a hood for a small 60mm fan. This is to keep debri out of the fan. I can easily find finger guards and foam filters, but I need something like a range vent with the exhaust at the bottom. I've looked but have come up empty. I'd hate to fab it. ( 3 bends 4 holes)

I might resort to a foam or mesh filter as a last resort.

Martin Riddle

I make it ~2.3 inches diameter. I was thinking PVC plumbing/aquarium parts. Anything here look related?

JeffM

Nope, but it gives me an idea. A thick mylar sheet or plastic, cut in a trapezoid shape. flat on top, bowed out on the bottom.

4 fan mounting screws should hold the shape. A little heat to help form it.

Thanks

Martin Riddle

Mart>Nope, but it gives me an idea.

Sometimes a nudge is all it takes. Go for it.

Reply to
JeffM

It sounds like you got your deflector figured out.

What kind of dirty environment? Wood chips, oil mist or fine sand?

A bigger problem than the outflow is usually what gets sucked in the front.

I always thought it was sad how common it was that air gets drawn in through media drives where it can cause the most problems.

Some CD or DVD drives used to have a tiny rubber seal around their door to cut down on that effect.

Wouldn't it be smarter to have the fan pulling air through a real filter and pushing clean air OUT of media drives?

Then again, WHAT preventive maintenance?

Life span of PC's is about 3 years so lots of outfits just run them for 3 and dump them rather than do any PM.

Reply to
Greegor