OT: Engine quiz

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 1:15:50 AM UTC-8, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno ....

The Mazda Skyactiv engines uses 13:1 compression ratio.

With controlled swirl and end-gas purging detonation can be managed to thse high compression ratios.

The Toyota Atkinson cycle engines use a 13:1 combustion chamber to swept volume ratio but they don't allow the cylinder to fill, the compression pressure is not the same as a 13:1 engine.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

Den onsdag den 13. januar 2016 kl. 10.53.37 UTC+1 skrev DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno:

the F1 rules have the engine specs set in stone: It must a be 24valve 90 degree V6, bore 80mm +/-0.1mm, 1600cc +0/-10cc

that's a 53mm stroke, 80/53 is about as far away from a long stroke as you'd ever want to be

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's what a gasoline engine mostly does, dump the waste heat and chemistry out the tailpipe.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

He just doesn't get it. He would rather argue for a month than to learn something about the topic.

--

Rick
Reply to

Really? Where is "here"? I didn't know any steam cars were in production. Or are they antiques?

--

Rick
Reply to

My Audi is 11:1 and specifies premium fuel. But most cars now have knock sensors and adapt to using low-octane fuel.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I stand corrected. I've had some experience with antique steam stationary engines, steam locomotives, and one steam car (student project in college). They were all noisy mostly because no attempt was made to design them to be quiet. They can be designed to make less noise: "Steam Power, the swift and silent orphan (1933)"

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:12:22 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen Gave us:

Nope there are inline 4 designs.

They "currently use" a V-6 form factor, but inline 4s are still in the works.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 11:27:37 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

By retarding ignition and therefore power and torque. Oh Boy!

No thanks.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Or restricting intake flow. Retarding ignition won't prevent spontaneous pre-detonation.

They give you the choice, and the engine won't blow up if it somehow gets low-octane gas. That sounds pretty good to me. I buy premium, because I like power, and I drive on hills every day.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 13. januar 2016 kl. 21.29.38 UTC+1 skrev DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno:

not in F1

no there isn't and there never will be, they don't make the right noise and can't work as a stressed member

that was freaking 30 years ago, and that had 89mm bore and 60mm stroke

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

About a mile away. Antiques.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

My Grand Cheerokee does not do well on cheap gas... it has a 3.6L 2011 290 HP, and sucks up cheap gas like water when I want some get up and go!

I average 11 MPG around town with the cheap stuff, 15 MPG around town with the higher octane.. And of course on the highway there is a difference, too.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Yeah, they make some noise from the machinery, but nothing like internal combustion I suppose. Electric is by far quieter though. I knew a car collector who had an electric car he would show at the fair. He would drive it around a bit sneaking up behind people. It was so quiet the makers put a big bell on the front and when he was right behind someone he would hit the bell for a laugh.

--

Rick
Reply to

Holy crap! I thought my F150 sucked gas at 17-19MPG.

Reply to
krw

Electric is quieter, but not by much. About all the noise is the steam exhausting and that is not much noise.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

No, he's saying that, all else being equal, if you increase the displacement, you increase the power. Well... he's not wrong, for once.

Reply to
krw

Isn't that the whole point of multiple choice questions; eliminate the worst answers?

Reply to
krw

Yes, they do (there are two distinct sorts of "rotary engines").

Reply to
krw

Rotary aircraft engines do. They haven't used them for probably 70 years but they do exist.

Reply to
krw