OT: Engine quiz

My corolla get's 36, (avg mostly highway), I wish it did better. I don't need all the zip. (screw the guy in the big truck behind me as I merge onto the HW.. :^)

Seriously I sometimes feel trapped in a canyon made of trucks these days.. sitting in my car there's no way I can see over the bed anymore.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 20:46:42 -0500, krw Gave us:

Usually, that is called a RADIAL piston engine, not "rotary".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

There was the style where the whole engine and the prop rotated about a fixed crankshaft. Really!

lunatic fringe electronics

I drive a pickup, not because I like driving a pickup but because I work around the house and need it for lumber/mulch/dump runs. My boss used to use his beamer for mulch but even he drives a pickup now. ;-)

Sucks to be the 90lb weakling. ;-)

Reply to
krw

You're AlwaysWrong, too. Radial and rotary engines are different animals.

Reply to
krw

Yep, they're called "rotary engines". ;-)

Reply to
krw

Right:

Really bizarre.

lunatic fringe electronics

When you mount it the right way, they're called "radial engines". ;-)

Reply to
krw

I'm driving a 19 year old T100 I've had for 18. I'm thinking of getting a new car after I submit taxes this season and see how much I have. I get 20 MPG, but it would be nice to get 30 or 40... or better, xx MPkWHr.

--

Rick
Reply to

I have been around machinery that has no engine and it tends to make noise just from the parts moving and such. I guess a steam engine is a pretty durn simple device. I never thought about it, it doesn't have all the complications of a four stroke engine. I guess the simpler valve train cuts a lot of noise.

Were the steam engines running at much speed? At low speed I suppose that would not make much noise. An internal combustion engine has to run at idle speed minimum while a steam engine has no minimum speed.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 18:57:28 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Yeah, it went about 45 knots, and was a big bi-wing IIRC.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The road in front of our house is fairly narrow, so almost everyone drives about 35 mph. The steam cars are just sightseeing in an antique car, so they go a bit slower, probably about 25 mph. At that speed they are almost completely silent.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Well I use my wife's mini-van for that type of stuff. If it's too big, I've got a little trailer, very handy.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I get 56mpg.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've had a couple of minivans. Terrible reliability. Neither lasted

100K miles. I don't want to store a trailer. Too much bother, though I rent one when I need it.

There's just the two of us now, so we have the F150 and a Mustang convertible.

Reply to
krw

My previous pickup was 12 years old and about 130K miles when the rear wheels fell out of it. The frame, where the rear leaf springs attached vaporized. When I picked up the new truck from the dealer he said he just got a Mustang convertible the same color in that day. The first word out of my mouth was "damn". SWMBO bought it two days later. Well, we got a good deal on both of them. ;-)

Reply to
krw

We rented a Mustang convertible a few years back. We hated it. It was a huge struggle to get the top up and down; nothing lined up. The instruments were terrible.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It was a rental and you drive a VW. Why am I not surprised that you didn't like it.

Reply to
krw

I think steam engines in general run a lot slower than we run internal combustion engines.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

They certainly do - good point. For some reason, the arrangement of the article seemed to suggest engines commonly used in cars.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to