OT: Engine quiz

I believe this was done to improve the cooling.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Most rentals are OK.

And I drive an Audi these days. Needed 4WD in a small car.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Most are treated like crap.

Same difference.

Reply to
krw

Steam locomotives and Stanley Steamers were rather quick (>100MPH, IIRC).

Reply to
krw

From what?

--

Rick
Reply to

I meant rotational speed. They probably did not redline @ 4000 RPM.

"... 420.1 RPM when the car is traveling at 30 MPH" so the alleged 140 MPH speed record from 1906 would imply just under 2000 RPM.

@ 60 MPH it'd be 820 RPM. That'd be less wear, I'd think.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Bigger G's helps.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

ally

Same score. Same opinion.

Reply to
stratus46

Well this is a toyota product, so I sorta expect 200k... I think it's past

100k already.

The trailer just sits outside with all the other stuff. The only down side is that squirrels/mice like to set up home in the tubing frame which means I may have to redo the wiring in the spring... (I seem to have to futz with the wiring even if no one moves in.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Stanley steamers topped out at 40-45mph. They never had much power. Maybe you found a hotrod one? Though I can't think why anyone would do that.

There were >100mph steamers, but not Stanleys. Stanley was the cheaper end of the market, relatively.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

diesel estate. There are a few that do that sort of mpg. Here the fuel costs more than the car. 56 is combined mpg, from a mix of town & motorway, and what it really gets rather than the claimed figure.

Hated the Jeep Cherokee, but it was some time ago & I didn't choose it. Terribly made, no end of faults, didn't even work when new, stupid gas consumption, awful resale value. Never again. They've always been rare on our roads.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

All engine types back then ran much slower than now. For good reasons.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You might expect that from a Honda too, but their minivan actually had one of those hidden recalls on the transmission. ~100 kmiles and they go out. Not sure a rebuilt one will do any better.

--

Rick
Reply to

Less than what? Comparing a well lubricated gas engine to a steam engine is tough.

--

Rick
Reply to

But rotational speed is irrelevant. It's the transmission's job to match impedances.

Reply to
krw

From Wiki:

"A Stanley Steamer set the world record for the fastest mile in an automobile (28.2 seconds) in 1906. This record (127 mph (204 km/h)) was not broken by any automobile until 1911, although Glen Curtiss beat the record in 1907 with a V-8 powered motorcycle at 136 mph (219 km/h). The record for steam-powered automobiles was not broken until

2009.[5][6]"
Reply to
krw

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Except that VW doesn't make a 3.2l 6-speed 4WD V6 that goes 156 MPH.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Where do you drive 156 MPH?

--

Rick
Reply to

That seems to be the German 250 km/h limiter.

--

-TV
Reply to