OT: Engine quiz

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 02:32:46 -0500, rickman Gave us:

They do not have a higher compression ratio. They get higher cylinder pressures by way of BOOST. THAT is why they get more power.

They compress more simply because they are MEANT to detonate via compression, not a spark plug.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 02:32:46 -0500, rickman Gave us:

No they do not.. They have in fact reduced the ratio over the years specifically because the higher octane fuels are no longer produced for the masses at the pump. There are no 12.5 to 1 engines coming out of the factories and haven't been any for decades. It has to do with a little thing called pre-ignition and detrimental damage.

Race engines specifically use fuels with very high octane numbers, and they are custom formulated for the job.

"each combustion event", dipshit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I may not recall correctly, but the question was about the arrangement of cylinders - rotary engines don't have those.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 02:37:03 -0500, rickman Gave us:

It was a reciprocating piston engine quiz.

A rotary engine is another class of engine. That is why a steam engine DID qualify to be included in the questioning. Because it uses reciprocating pistons to convert linear force into rotating force. That wankel works differently than that.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 23:44:37 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison Gave us:

Not true. A racer who strokes an engine increases the torque output as well as the engine displacement. He gets both a horsepower and torque increase. When one bores a cylinder the only gain is displacement increase, which raises horsepower and torque too, but the torque increase is not as great.

A longer stroke by definition requires a bigger diameter throw on the crank, and that means a longer TORQUE ARM. First year Jr. High school level physics. Each power stroke puts the power into a longer torque arm and that yields more torque applied per power stroke. You know, when the crank is at that 90 degree (with reference to the piston)max torque output point.

There is no defiance aside from that within your neurons.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 23:44:37 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison Gave us:

Nobody said a goddamned thing about keeping the displacement that same.

some idiot did that.

Fact is when an engine gets stroked, the builder does NOT put a smaller piston in.. He, in fact, gets more displacement as a by-product reward as well. Have you been partying with Jamie?

As Ripley said... "Did IQs suddenly drop while I was away?"

They are not tied together linearly either.

Bore the engine and power and torque increases, but more power than torque.

Stroke the engine and power and torque increases but more torque than power, and one gets more displacement as a bonus.

Eazy Peasy crank-it-greasy.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

** Of course, but that is outside the discussion.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

** Your dumb case is destroyed if you do not.

** Was never the topic here.

I suggest you stop *stroking it* right now.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 01:37:48 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison Gave us:

There was never a "keep the displacement the same" rule.

The designers maximized the cylinder diameters and siamesed them as close together as they could. The stroke got limited by the piston skirts, and stroked engines even have those shortened.

Take a look at a modern formula one engine. They are stroked to the point that the crankshaft journal centers are even offset from each other.

Must only be because they like it (the added complexity), right? Could not possibly have anything to do with a longer torque arm being put to best use.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 01:43:19 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison Gave us:

You're a goddamned troll wanna be.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 01:43:19 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison Gave us:

Maybe you should stick with something you *might* (emphasis) know a little bit about...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It said "four cylinder"

That question seemed to be aimed at primarily a North American audience I only got it right because the other two answers were worse.

"four cycle" is a mis-transcription of "4/cycle" which is a mis-hearing of "four stroke cycle"

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

. Q14: What are the three common ways to arrange an engine?s cylinders?

That was one where I re-read the question

To me this is a "spud gun":

This made question 3 difficult, but on the basis of "Choose the asswer which you think is /best/" I got it right.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 03:57:27 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison Gave us:

You're a mouthy little bitch when you get contradicted. Did you learn that from Larkin?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

So are you saying that the cars in the Indy 500 have no max displacement rule?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

There are a few steam power cars around here. They are extremely quiet. Much quieter than gasoline powered cars.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

really

ne as compact.

Grin... Yeah I probably just read it wrong. The quiz was pretty lame, and I was going to stop at question 20 and get back to work. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 05:52:45 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" Gave us:

No. I am saying that a person who "strokes" his engine on a rebuild doesn't sleeve it for reduced piston size to keep the displacement the same as before he stroked it. I never said a damned thing about some racing organization's rules.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I think they meant the combustible spud-gun

Anyway, thanks for the link introducing me to the potato gun for children. I'll order immediately 4 of them, at aliexpress.com (free shipping). That'll be a mess with the 4 kids they are intended for :)

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

Did the topic not say 'OT'? ;-)