OT: CV Looking Forward

It is not clear how to project mortality numbers in the US. We are present ly at 482,000 active cases with 30,000 recovered and 20,000 dead. Without accounting in detail for the difference in time it takes for a case to be r esolved through recovery and death, these are grim numbers.

Looking backwards, it was three weeks ago that we had just 30,000 current c ases and only a couple of days later than we had 50,000. Even if we assume that deaths happen a week sooner than that, it puts the deaths from the ac tive cases about the end of March with a total count of 144,000. That woul d mean of the confirmed infection count 20,000 of 144,000 have died, or 13% . With a current active case count of half a million, that would put us at a total death count just from current infections of 65,000.

If we use the Chinese number of around 4% death rate of the confirmed cases , that puts us at 20,000 deaths from the present 500,000 which we have alre ady reached. So clearly the death rate is higher than 4% in the US as a fr action of confirmed cases.

We have no way of knowing the numbers of asymptomatic cases. So it only ma kes sense to calculate estimates of death rates on the confirmed cases. Th ese numbers are appropriate and are of value as long as it is clear they on ly apply to the number of confirmed cases. No point in trying to count gho sts we can't see.

Once again this disease has surprised me at its steady march forward. This is very predictable if you just look at the numbers without being biased. I guess I was not believing the 100,000 to 250,000 numbers the government has released because I thought we were getting tough on social distancing a nd stay at home orders. But clearly they are not working as well as we wou ld like or as well as they worked in China and South Korea.

It's pretty clear to me at this point that 100,000 deaths is a very optimis tic number and it is likely to be much higher over the next month or two.

This is no flu, no matter what Trump or Larkin say. This disease is going to make a lasting impact on us all. Some will remember the tragedy. Other s will remember something else.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

[...]

Some won't around to remember anything.

A couple of weeks ago John Larkin was telling us that he had a parts per mi llion changes of catching the disease.

At the time - as a US resident - he actually had a 46 ppm chance of having the disease.

California is now up to 572 cases per million population. New York is at 9,

233.

The new case rate for the USA as whole is still running at a steady 30,000 new cases per day, and John Larkin is bleating about the infection having p eaked.

At the current rate it would take 28 years to infect the whole country.

It might be sensible to note that the three worst hit states - New York, Ne w Jersey and Louisiana - have now got about half the total infections in th e US as a whole. They contain about 10% of the whole population.

The other 48 states may get the message, or may go on to get just as bad or worse.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

[...]

First, the Chicomms are proven liars and not to be trusted.

Second, the models VASTLY over-predicted the death count and have been modi fied downward by a factor of FOUR.

BTW, this was SCIENCE speaking, so you can get a rude awakening on how accu rate science is at predicting things, even just a few weeks in advance.

Reply to
Flyguy

Flyguy is a proven idiot who regularly posts total nonsense.

He clearly hasn't got the faintest idea what might constitute proof.

What's that got to do with anything.

Modelling isn't an exact science, something that it's practitioners are well aware of, even if Flyguy isn't. Flyguy's brain isn't dormant - it just doesn't work - and his chance of having a rude awakening - to precisely how idiotic he is - is remote.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

After it's over, you can probably shop around and find scientific estimates that were off by a factor of 100.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

[...]

By "scientific estimates" you mean SWAGs? Yes, you can also get many an es timate on any street corner... well, maybe not so much now. I think street corners are not so populated now.

Certainly you can get many a SWAG in newsgroups!

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

Estimates of what? Every attempt to deal with a disease CHANGES THE ENVIRONMENT and the estimates, naturally, have to change as well. Nothing wrong there, just a case of effective controls put into place.

You're saying 'probably' without any data, again. For a self-proclaimed skeptic, that's a sin.

Reply to
whit3rd

This is very predictable if you just look at the numbers without being bia sed. I guess I was not believing the 100,000 to 250,000 numbers the govern ment has released because I thought we were getting tough on social distanc ing and stay at home orders. But clearly they are not working as well as w e would like or as well as they worked in China and South Korea.

timistic number and it is likely to be much higher over the next month or t wo.

oing to make a lasting impact on us all. Some will remember the tragedy. Others will remember something else.

Flyguy never misses an opportunity to claim this. He's never provided any r elevant evidence, so it is just one meaningless bit of decoration.

odified downward by a factor of FOUR.

There are lots of models, modelling lots of different ways society could ha ve reacted to the pandemic. US society reacted incompetently, and has had l ots of infections and lots of deaths. China, South Korea, Taiwan and Austra lia have reacted better and had many fewer infections and deaths. There are probably model results around that cover an even larger range - that's wha t models are for.

If you are looking at the results alone, without looking at the assumptions they were testing.

John Larkin doesn't seem to have a clue why people construct simulations, w hat they expected to find out by running them, and what the results actuall y meant.

Modelling at fatuously extreme worst case - sub-Trump - might have predicte d even more US deaths than you have seen.