Coronavirus triggered a 'ruptured heart' in first reported US COVID-19 death

This type of heart rupture occurs more typically in people with high cholesterol levels or abnormalities in the heart muscle, Melinek said. But Dowd's case was very unusual because her heart was a normal size and weight, she said.

"There's something abnormal about the fact that a perfectly normal heart has burst open," Melinek told The San Francisco Chronicle. "Normal hearts don't rupture."

Dowd was reportedly in good health and exercised regularly before she fell sick.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Link doesn't work ?

TTman

Influenza can attack various organs, and cause blood clots, too.

"Very unusual" is good.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

In the case of this virus, they know it's going after a plentiful supply of ACE-2 receptors on the endothelial cells lining the blood vessels. And that's not unusual. The blood is loaded with virus particles.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Has anyone tried ACE inhibitors? Lots of people take those.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Right- there is a lot of discussion about them, but I believe the jury is still out about their use against this scourge.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Numbness starting in the feet and progressing up slowly, to about the waist in this case. It was remotely disgnosed as multiple sclerosis.

Maybe this was corona. It attacks random organs, sometimes the nervous system, and the symptoms can mmic G-B and MS. It's much better now, essentially gone. I hope it was corona.

Hey, this is interesting:

If these graphs are to be believed, we're having an unusually safe winter this year. We had about 70K total deaths per week in early

2018, and the currently-reported corona death rate is about 14K per week, so it's not impossible.

The USA runs about 54K deaths per week, average.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Larkin seems misunderstand data as usual. Looking at the seven years shown , the most obvious pattern is for deaths to peak about the first week of Ja n and drop steeply by the graph since it is compressed only showing down to the minimum numbers which are well above zero. This year is very much lik e 2013. A peak the first week of Jan and by the first week of March it had dropped to 16 per week per 100,000 or 160 ppm.

Then when the US starts to shut down in the middle of March the numbers dro p. Is that really surprising? People stop skydiving, stop scuba diving, s top being able to spend time with the neighbor's wife now that her husband is home all day.

Oh yeah, many people stop driving! One company that is doing very well wit h the shut down are the auto insurance companies. I'm going to save 15% in five minutes!!

There's a part of the brain devoted to recognizing faces. It works overtim e sometimes seeing faces in the forests and in the dark that aren't there b ecause... it's mission is to "see" faces. Some people have that same probl em with finding anomalies in data... when they aren't there. Larkin is ver y good at seeing in data exactly what he chooses to see, nothing more and n othing less. Sort of a data Humpty Dumpty. Notice the point of comparison was not an average year, or even just the previous year. It was the year of highest deaths. Maybe Larkin likes death.

I wonder how much of the shut down reduction is people *not* being in hospi tals? But many of those deaths are not eliminated, simply postponed until people return for the non-essential treatments.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C