Nice tube amp with schematic

This guy is pretty smart on tubes.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bassman's seem to have their own mystique. A co-worker/guitar player likes it (for regular electric guitar, not for playing bass). Way back, my friend who was an electric bassist and overall DIY'er unsoldered all the electron ics and re-built the amp, just because he didn't like the workmanship.

Reply to
Rich S

---------------------------------

** FYI:

Uncle Doug is a *total amateur* at the job.

I have watched numerous of his vids and find them very annoying cos they are chock full of dumb errors.

Plus it seems he does the work for next to nothing and makes some money on the vids. This takes work away from far more competant folk who need to make a living.

It also encourage fools to take stupid risks and wreck their own or a friend's gear.

The whole idea that you can teach tube amp repair by making vids is INSANE.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Rich S wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Well, in that video he shows the schematic and the revisions he applied.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Phil Allison wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yeah, he did not know anything about why the tube socket failed. Whether it was corrosion from old flux or wear from insert remove cycles or what. Apparently did no continuity logging before dragging it out of there. Probably full of solder from a previous, also not very bright non-tube guy. He also said one tube was weaker, but did not trade them to prove it was not the circuitry.

My remark with the post "This guy is pretty smart on tubes" was to get folks to look, cause y'all like tube amps and he showed the schematic.

After only seeing it once, though, yeah... should not have said this guy is smart. Did not look at any of his other stuff. Don't know what city he is in or who's business he would be stealing from. Old TV repair shops have all bu dried up in most cities. See one in a guys's house every now and then. VCRs TVs REPAIR.

Old washers and dryers out back of the place. Yeah... that's the guy I want working on my circuits... NOT!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I learned at an early age that sometimes parts fail because they were just too weak for the task. My first personal TV when I was ~16 y.o. (a used 19" B&W CRT magnavox) was a hybrid model; the video output tube was fine ran hot; the heat baked the socket into crumbled mess. By then, I was already salvaging parts, & had socket on hand.

Had more fun modifying that TV too! - Rich S.

Reply to
Rich S

I usually just take a Line 6 box and a set of AKG 'phones and select: "British 50", "4x12", "Large Stage", "Delay: Medium"

It's a good facsimile particularly when the upstairs neighbors are asleep.

I've read that it's not uncommon for working musos to use smaller amps for on-stage monitoring only and run amp-modeling into the PA; lugging and micing 100 lb amps is a pain when you don't have roadies. imagine dragging a Super Six in and out of clubs every night

Reply to
bitrex