OT: CPU heatsink "heat pipes"

the

Perhaps more importantly, we'd still be paying tribute to the king.

Now, instead, we're paying tribute to the bureaucracy. >:-[

Thanks, Rich

--
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum
Reply to

I should care how you feel about me.

What's this "weeeee" shit. It's not YOUR Bush, Cash or Hope

Too much SAUCE? Sheeesh! I'm only on my second glass of wine :-)

...Jim Thompson

Grade school..is that where American kids are taught that there's no countries outside the US and that all Muslims are the same?

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
Reply to
Conor

Obviously you want to be another Henny Youngman and offer up nothing but one liners. His were funny. Yours are not. Here's some new material. You sure aren't offering anything of consequence on your own. Stupid shit.

Once we had Clinton, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope. Now we have Bush, no Cash and no Hope.

I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, and then it hit me.

Those that forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Take everything in moderation. Including moderation.

There are two rules for success: 1.) Don't tell all you know.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.

Do not follow, for I may not lead. Do not lead, for I may not follow. Just go over there somewhere, please?

Never go to bed angry, stay awake and plot your revenge.

If at first you don't succeed, try left field.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I got some new underwear yesterday. Well, it was new to me.

If #2 pencils are the most popular, are they still #2?

I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.

I live in California, and my watch is three hours fast, I can't fix it, so I'm moving to New York.

I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon.

Ask to see my tattoo of a rose, but don't ask outside. I'm constantly bothered by bees.

It's not who you know, it's whom you know.

There is no "I" in "Team", but there are four in "Platitude-Quoting Idiot".

A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered drawer.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.

Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right.

Follow your dreams, except for that one where you're naked at work.

Which one of these is the non-smoking lifeboat?

Marriage is not a word. It's a sentence.

George Bush has been working hard, 24 / 7. 24 hours a week, 7 months a year.

I had amnesia once - maybe twice.

Originality is the art of concealing your sources.

Photons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Give it a little thought, take a laxative and get rid of the brain cramps. You can figure it out if you really want to look honestly at the rest of the world and your place in it.

I hope the American car companies, losing

Man, I couldn't really give a shit, go for it. Probably one of the best things that could happen to us over the long haul. Canada could then follow your childish mentality and retaliate by cutting off your supplies of natural gas from this country as well as the oil, hydro-electricity, steel and forest products along with a few other necessities of life. Oh shit wait, we can't do that can we? The US would simply show proof that we have Weapons of Mass Deception, form a *coalition of the assholes* and dance right across the border and take just whatever they f****ng want.

For chrissake killfile me again will you? Please. You make my stomach upset with your holier than thou, condescending and utterly clueless view of the rest of the world. Go whack a cactus.

BTW, Jim Thompson, why don't you MYOFB.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Oh my god, I can't believe you were stupid enough to write the above line. It's a one liner you poor unbelievably dimwitted twit. It's "weeee" because the guy or gal who wrote it was American, I suppose. You are absolutely f****ng clueless man. LMFAO. You have *got* to stay out of the wine. It seems to have your brain (brain being a figure of speech) totally f***ed up.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

ROTFLOL

Being wrong, once again, about the Taliban as the 'recognized' government was the last straw, eh?

Reply to
David Maynard

Where?

That is perfectly true in Iraq. Until last year Iraq had NEVER had democracy in its entire history. Even now, it's not democracy as you or I would know. In Sadr City for example, they waited for the Cleric Muqtada al-Sadr to tell them who to vote for. Many men tell their wives who to vote for.

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
Reply to
Conor

At least you're upfront with your disdain for them.

This may come as a surprise to you but Japan had never had a democracy before either.

LOL. Hey, in case you hadn't noticed, just about EVERYone tries to tell everyone else who to vote for in a democracy. The difference is if the guy doing the 'tellin' has an ak47 pointed at your head.

Reply to
David Maynard

The US government recognised them as the de facto rulers of the country by demanding that they (and not the Northern Alliance) should give up Osama ben Laden to the tender mercies of U.S. military justice. Your idea that a "recognised" government has to be recognised by your favorite puppet organisations is perfectly logical, and totally unrealistic.

I'm quite used to being seen as in the "wrong" when viewed through (far-) right-thinking eyes, and seem to be able to survive the experience. If you were paying attention, you would have noticed that I acknowledged your correction about the timing of the establishment of the Taliban (though it wasn't relevant to the core of my argument) and am grateful to have had one of my misconceptions corrected.

See if *you* can find anything that *you* have learned from this debate ...

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Unlike you, who is told what to do by the women around you. Do they know you are on their computer pretending to be a man?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Agreed. I really meant '(b)rash' above, acknowledging that we're kind of upstarts -- we're still a young nation, and lack the refinement (and inhibitions (and, sometimes, unfortunately, manners)) of some of those more staid nations.

Speaking of self-selection, external selection can be rather brutal. I spent some time in a land subjugated by conquistadores. The regular folk seemed to take unusual pains to keep from standing out, which passivity I didn't understand. It was strange.

Then I realized that, among other factors, for nearly 400 years their new masters had captured and killed their rebels and leaders.

Ambition and initiative, it seems, are not always adaptive. Specifically, they can get you a seat at Darwin's table, as in "Congratulations, you've been 'selected'."

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

They hadn't learned that lesson as of 1945, and arguably the USA taught it to them. And depending on your definition of "Europe", some of them haven't learned it yet.

The US was, ironically, isolationist through most of its history. The World Wars, especially II, turned us into a heavily armed, multiply-engaged superpower. Too bad that Germany and Japan got crazy just as Soviet and Chinese communism were on the upswing; the mix was a mess.

Do you consider America to be collectively ill-mannered?

The Cold War caused, or in many cases provided excuses for, a lot of bizarre and nasty stuff. I think things are a lot better now (but I can't convince the news outlets of it.)

John

government

applies

notwithstanding.

might

police,

position."

as

ole

because

be

matters

windbag

a researchers job is never done, you certainly have the nack...........I just can't that passionate about anything anymore

Reply to
JAD

When the police 'recognizes' someone has taken a hostage they have not 'recognized' that the hostage taker has any legitimate authority, merely that the hostage taker is wielding power unlawfully, are responsible for the consequences of those actions, and that the police must 'deal' with them one way or the other as a matter of practicality; and the same applies to a band of thugs unlawfully terrorizing a country and who, in that case, were harboring, aiding and abetting Al Qaeda, your attempt to rewrite the laws of nations and what constitutes a "recognized government" notwithstanding.

And the same analogy applies to the Northern Alliance. The police don't hold the owner of an apartment complex the hostage takers are hole up in responsible for the hostage situation, nor would it be of any use to 'negotiate' with them, because the apartment complex owner has no control over the thugs who have illegally taken control of the apartment. You might ask the apartment owner for 'help' in dealing with the hostage takers, though, and, guess what, the US did.

And, I might add, if the hostage takers kill the hostages, or are machine gunning innocent passers by from the apartment window, the victims, police, and the courts, don't excuse it with "well, they had a defensible position."

(I am not saying Bin Laden was a 'hostage' but merely using that analogy as an example of lawful/unlawful 'control')

I appreciate the attempted promotion but I didn't write the UN Charter and the Laws nor do I sit on the Security Council. And while I might enjoy running a country where I could exercise 'my idea' of whether to 'recognize' others, or not, I am not in that position either. Poor lil' ole me is just able to read.

So much for the Laws of Nations and the UN, eh?

I'll take you word for it but a cynic might imagine you only did so because you considered it "wasn't relevant."

Well, I've learned that you think the UN is a "puppet organization," that you claim to not grasp the concept of lawful and unlawful and why the Geneva Convention even bothers defining a criteria for "prisoner of war" status since, according to your position, simply saying 'everyone' would be sufficient, and that, apparently, anyone with a command of the facts is a '(far-) right winger'.

Ok, 'fun' part aside, I wasn't being entirely facetious with the reading comment. Someone made a quite humorous post about me being an 'expert' on so many things (intended as an insult, of course) but there's a 'secret' to it. I came to the realization a long time ago that media, pundits, and a host of other sources were, at best, inadequate and, at worst, plain misrepresenting things, if not outright lying, and decided that, on matters of sufficient importance, I'd 'see for myself'. So when I hear some windbag telling me what the Geneva Convention 'says' I go look the dern thing up and read it. Guess what? About 80% of the time the windbag hasn't got a clue, possibly because they simply took the 'word' of another windbag or, worse, someone with a genuine prejudiced ax to grind. Which, btw, means that finding another windbag who agrees, or a raft of articles repeating each other, does not constitute 'looking it up'.

Try it. You'd be amazed at how much of a 'expert' you can become by simply going to the source for yourself.

Reply to
David Maynard

nt

es

nding.

As your governemnt has recently demonstrated, =EFnternational law is all about pragamatics.

You may wish to characterise the Taliban as a band of thugs unlawfully terrorising Afghanistan, but they happened to be terrorising 90% of Afghanistan at the time, while the Northern Alliance where reduced to exercising their thuggish habits in the remaining 10%.

This made the Taliban the group you had to deal with if you wanted something done in Afghanistan.

Since your own government's attitude to the Geneva conventions is that of a bunch of lawless thugs, your bleating about "legitimacy" is pretty fatuous.

--=20 Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

[snip]

I had an Algebra teacher like that.

I still remember her name, Evelyn Truchovesky, 8th grade (1953-54), first year Algebra.

I even adopted her "E" as the way I write my middle initial.

Made me what I am today.

...Jim Thompson

 Anyone can be rude, but it takes a Democrat to be a real dirtbag.

Thank you.

I think some of that began for me when my mother, in what I considered a rather prissy attitude at the time, kept saying "look it up" when I'd ask questions.

I guess it stuck.

Reply to
David Maynard

I have run out of steam. It is impossible to discuss things with people whose minds are closed to all except that which is acceptable to them. So, I leave you with my wish for your future.

May the bleeding piles torment you and corns adorn your feet. May crabs as big as roaches climb on your scrot and eat. And when you're old and feeble and a syphilis laden wreck. May you fall straight through your asshole and break your f***in' neck.

Happy New Year and goodbye

Reply to
Curmudgeon

his

ment

lies

se,

he

tanding.

Most law has 'pragmatics' as it's basis or else there is no value to it. = I=20 mean murder, for example, is illegal for a quite pragmatic reason.

What would be the point of a law that had no 'pragmatic' purpose? To look= =20 pretty on paper?

And the NAZIs controlled 100% of Poland, France, Eastern Europe, Austria,= =20 most of Northern Africa, and.... so your point would be?

Which is what I said.

From your link

"The Taliban allowed terrorist organizations to run training camps in the= ir=20 territory and, from 1994 to at least 2001, provided refuge for Osama bin =

Laden and his al-Qaeda organization. The relationship between the Taliban= =20 and bin Laden is close, even familial... The United Nations Security=20 Council passed two resolutions, UNSCR 1267 (1999) and 1333 (2000),=20 demanding that the Taliban cease their support for terrorism and hand ove= r=20 bin Laden for trial."

That was attempting to 'deal with' in the sense you mean and it lead to=20

9-11. After which America dealt with it.

The Geneva Convention clearly states the criteria defining who qualifies =

for prisoner of war status yet you call the US 'lawless' for following it= =2E=20 The UN and International Law defines what a "recognized government" is ye= t=20 you call the US 'lawless' for following it. So I'm afraid that, by virtue= =20 of you having demonstrated no concept of what lawful vs unlawful is, it's= =20 your 'bleating' which is 'fatuous'.

Apparently you consider facts to be 'bilge' so there's no basis upon whic= h=20 to proceed.

Reply to
David Maynard