toll

?

yet

?

No problem.

of

Reply to
David Maynard

It was far enough to debunk the assertion the Taliban simply allowed Al Qaeda to hang around.

The Russian occupation ended in February of 1989 and the Taliban first appeared in 1994.

Maybe by your standards but the US didn't jump up and cheer when our old 'comrade in arms', the USSR, decided to occupy half of Europe.

"Bummer about the Towers but, hey, he's our buddy" don't cut it.

................was attacked.

The US was not an 'occupying power' of anything in 1998 or on 9-11 either.

Look again, Mr. Revisionist, I didn't write, or rewrite, the Iranian article.

Reply to
David Maynard

And has the funniest sig I've read in a long time...hehe. :)

I'd think that if the heat pipe itself were pumped down properly, that the water would degas itself quite nicely. :-) You might even have to watch how hard of a vacuum you pull - you don't want your working fluid to freeze!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The poor man's approach would be to put in a bit more water than you needed, heat the assembly until the water was boiling hard, and steam was coming out of the top quite fast, then seal the heat-pipe and take it off the heat immediately afterwards - that should flush out most of the air, chlorine and the rest.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

U.S.

again with the sweeping statements "YOUR PALS", listening to your dad again huh? Bigot. We skipped out on you self rightous assholes before, guess that still bothers you, overbearing holier than thou SOB's that you are. We should have let your local language be german.

Guess what...the not so average American knows 10x the info you do. You limeys (or where ever you hide out) think you know everything...stay in your own backyard (like any scared rabbit would). straighten out your problems and quit concerning yourself with stuff you don't completely understand. the only information you get is from your bigoted prejudice relatives and bias gossip rags. AND BTW bringing up things that happened 30 years ago is well...... getting REAL OLD. Literally.

Reply to
JAD

Not necessarily. It all depends on the operating temperatures at both ends of the heat pipe. Each heat pipe must be designed for a specific application, and the nature of that application dictates the working fluid, which may in some cases be water.

Mxsmanic

It should exceed the life of virtually all the other components, as heat pipes are almost solid-state devices; there are no moving parts other than the working fluid itself. As long as the pipe is well made and designed, its service life should be fairly open-ended.

I suppose some working fluids might eventually interact with other materials in the pipe, but if it's properly designed that should take quite a long time.

Mxsmanic

It won't freeze at working temperatures.

Mxsmanic

first

correctly.

remember?

again

have

your

problems

the

bias

nothing but a bigot....go get some more misinformation from whatever source your referring from...who whines about pearl harbor? that was another miscarriage of justice like slavery and holy shit the holocaust, talk about whining.....! go f*ck yourself ya freakin loser

Reply to
JAD

If you're gonna give reference material, please interpret it correctly. Taliban did *not* first appear in 1994, "The world first became *aware* of the Taliban in 1994"

:-) Another example: People became aware of black holes recently. However, they've been around one hell of a long time.

Taliban was around as far back as 1979 (at least). Don't you remember? They and Bin Laden were your pals back then, when the Soviets (wrongly according to the US) were in Afghanistan.

Gary

Off

A normal PeeCee with holes cut in the case, windows inserted, *lots* of blue LED's, every plastic bit is "dayglo(tm)" and UV lights are used to ligth up the dayglo.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

[snip]
[snip]

Gary, You seem to keep missing the point... we REALLY don't give a f*ck whether you like us or not ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Ooo, Oooo, Oooo and remember, when they were sneaking around hammering the crap out of the occupying Soviet force, they were called "Freedom fighters" When they began defending themselves against US aggression, they became quickly defined as "terrorists".

Heheh, make no wonder guys like Houdini and David Copperfield come from your neck of the woods. The art of illusion is how your government changes all unwanted defining moments in world events *and* history the remainder of them go into show business.

In case you've missed out on things recently, the rest of the world is catching on. :-)

Reply to
Gary

While I'd rather not get into the details of the IRA, I would point out that it doesn't matter a bugger that the IRA (or Al Quida) "declares war" - it is still not war, because they are not a sovereign state and don't have the power to declare war. If the IRA had declared the British to be penguins, should we all start eating fish? The IRA, like Al Quida, are criminals - nothing more, nothing less. They use illegal violent tactics to further their gains, just like any other violent criminals. They might be brave, they might be cowardly - just like bank robbers or any other violent criminals. In that they are civilian criminals, not soldiers, they have a certain right to complain when soldiers are deployed against them - it is a basic tenant of a modern democracy that soldiers are not deployed against the civilian population. On the other hand, by calling themselves soldiers (although they are not), you can well say they are voluntarily giving up their civilian rights. Extreme challenges, such as major terrorist groups, require extreme tactics - as long as you don't lower yourself to become the very thing you are fighting against. It's a very difficult balance to maintain, and there will always be people disagreeing.

Reply to
David Brown

Follow your own advice.

"Students of Islamic Knowledge Movement" were around, yes.

"Groups of taliban ("religious students") were loosely organized on a regional basis during the occupation and civil war. Although they represented a potentially huge force, they didn't emerge as a united entity until the taliban of Kandahar made their move in 1994."

No, they were 'people' who's faith happens to be Islam along with millions upon millions of other people who's faith happens to be Islam, or are you suggesting that the U.S. should, then and now, automatically condemn anyone who's faith happens to be Islam? Because *we* don't.

Your summary is conveniently shallow. The U.S., along with Saudi Arabia, Britain, and others, provided funds and training, via the CIA in the U.S.'s case, to Pakistan's ISI, who did the majority of the actual 'recruiting and training'.

The context was the Cold War and it did significantly contribute to the collapse of the USSR.

Wouldn't have been a problem if they "were in Afghanistan" on vacation.

They weren't attacked by Afghanistan (although some of their 'advisors' were killed in the unrest) but were concerned their puppet, Premier Amin, wouldn't survive the uprising in progress, invaded, took control of the country, decided he wasn't cooperative enough, promptly executed Premier Amin, and installed a new puppet, Babrak Karmal, as president.

Reply to
David Maynard

The 'US Govt' also "funded and trained" Al Capone via the public school system but the notion that 'if but only for' the US 'funding' uber rich boy Bin Laden is laughable.

Bin Laden funded his *own* self in the Afghan war and set up the Maktab al-Khidimat (MAK) to recruit Islamic soldiers.

Reply to
David Maynard

Since when did the U.S. annex Britain and take control of the BBC? 1998?

Who are the Taleban? By Pam O'Toole, BBC News, Monday 3 August 1998, published at 16:42 GMT

17:42 UK
Reply to
David Maynard

No, "Ooo, Oooo, Oooo" 'they' "became quickly defined as "terrorists"" when they flew airliners into skyscrapers murdering thousands of innocent people, "remember?"

Maybe you should give "catching on" a shot because, unless you're a Bin Laden follower, you're on the 'death to infidels' list too, just a little lower down the totem pole.

Reply to
David Maynard

I once tried to "sell" a heat-pipe to my superiors at some place where I worked as an electronics tech. "Engineering Tech", to be precise. ;-)

Anyhoo, this outfit made a big scientific vacuum chamber that they could install all kinds of ultrahigh vacuum experiments into, and one of them was an X-ray source. It had a 0 - 10KV, 100mA power supply that was an absolutely atrocious design, but that's not the point. The anode for this X-ray source was a piece of tungsten welded onto a copper part that was very much like a tube with a flange at the outside end. There was a tube that went down the center of it, to water-cool this anode, and a whole water-cooling refrigeration system. I said, "Why not use a heat pipe?" And they all looked at me as if I had just grown a third ear or something. Everyone totally pooh-poohed the idea, and it never went anywhere, but since then, I've had an itch to slap together a little heat pipe just for S&G.

I was just now thinking of making a real simple one, about 15-18" long, from just a piece of copper pipe, a couple of caps, some lantern wick, and some way to pump it down and let some distilled water in. Then I'd hold it by the middle in one hand, tell somebody "feel that end", point a torch at the other end, and have them go "OUCH!" while I hold the heat pipe by the middle. >:-> I bet it would work!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise