OT: complete copy of e-mail from the pure blue sky

Hardly. Notices are often mailed. I was threatened with court action by the city once and they said I had to contact the court to find out the court date. That was pure BS, an intimidation tactic.

This is obviously spam since it has no specifics, it doesn't even say what court! Unless the court notice *was* attached!

--

Rick
Reply to

I think of it as being similar to real viruses. The methods of assembly of the virus is so poor that a large rate of mutation occurs. Many of these emails are incomplete, missing the attachment you are intended to open or missing the link you are supposed to follow, etc...

--

Rick
Reply to

It didn't bounce. They have found a functioning email address. Now your email address is on a "confirmed" list, which can be sold. If there was any "remote content" in the body of the email, and your mail client didn't block it (could be a blank gif or a graphic logo) the spammer now knows approximately where you are, what mail client you use (he got your IP address and the query string from your mail client) and has confirmation that you opened it.

You can now be sent a cryptolocker or other such virus tailored to your system and location for more fun and profit.

Always perform a virus scan on any attachments (though that doesn't always find malicious code). With the wonderful multimedia capability of recent mail clients, a lot can sneak through.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

It seems that you are. Again: There were NO attachments, period.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Like i said many times,there were absolutely NO attachments, period.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Likely..

Reply to
Robert Baer

They will have a doozy of a time.. 1) I use all ASCII web-mail. 2) My preferred OS is Win2K. 3 AGAIN: there were NO attachments.

Reply to
Robert Baer