Blue sky thinking

The American work ethic may be admirable enough, but if they took a break every now and then, argues Paul Harris, they might learn a bit about the rest of the world

Interesting take

I've lived and worked in both Europe and the USA [just about 50:50] over the last (almost) 40 years, and certainly much of what he says makes sense.

Let battle be joined ;)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Some of us are smart enough to choose a job that is continuously fun. Looks like Europeons don't enjoy their jobs.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Except that your job has got you to Europe and Australia so far, and - I imagine - Japan, Tiawan and South America, though I don't recall you mentioning any of those places. Pity that Guardian reporter's assumption that travel would broad the American mind didn't work out in your case.

As far as enjoying our jobs goes, most Europeans enjoy a lot more job security than Americans, and rather less aggressive managers, which does make for a more comfortable work-place.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

The article should be read only as a passing thought from a middle class media dilletante. Consider it's intrinsic value as that of a small fluffy cloud scudding across an empty Blue sky. UK reality is different. The vast majority of working people here, work just to -survive-. They have no voice, so they are simply never heard. Although I have zero knowledge or experience of American culture, my suspicion is that the Americans work to improve themselves. "Holidays" are therefore irrelevant. john

Reply to
John Jardine.

It's impressive what drivel writers will crank out when they're up against a deadline. Watch TV for an hour or two, get an idea, make things up.

John

Look what those hard working Americans have achieved in their short time (230 years) vs. some more than one thousand year old societies. While at the same time pulling much of the world up.

Oh those bragadocious Americans!

God Bless America. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Land of the FREE, home of the BRAVE!

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

When it comes to pulling much of the workd up, America and Europe actually share a common culture - the all-American Abrahams tank is a pretty representative example of American leadership, with its German gun and British armour.

Now if you could only bring yourselves to adopt one of the more advanced European electoral systems, even just the British rules on election expenditure ...

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Land of the suckers, home of the foolhardy.

God save America, it doesn't seem to be in a state to save itself.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

OK.......

Let's run this Idea up the flagpole and see who can piss on it. Right, who stole the flagpole?

This seems like a greenfield situation. Give it a nice mow. The management will be along later to distribute some cowpats.

You're sacked. When we said we wanted people who could think out of the box we were referring to those who were already in it.

I'm famous me, other people say so, so it must be true. If we stick together we'll be convincing enough to maintain the illusion. Hold the Line!

DNA

Reply to
Genome

two weeks vacations a year, yeah, free

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Europeans actually get more of a break than he indicates. It's called unemployment. 15% unemployment is, on average, the same as getting an additional 8 weeks off every year.

Could you please elaborate? How does America need saving? It seems to me that Europe is facing a demographic and employment brick-wall across the road. The USA is doing fine. Well, maybe we could use a little more exercize and a bit less pizza, but still doing fine, overall.

John

Many of our weapons systems use foreign parts, usually due to some offset purchase agreement. "I'll buy your AMRAAM but you have to use our widget" (and in the case of many customers, "loan me the money to buy it from you.")

What ever do you mean? We lasted elected King George the Junior.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Where on earth do you get 15% from ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Geeez! I can understand your aggravation... it's only 11% ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

It's not even that high in France for heaven's sake !

5% here. Less than the USA according to

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

If you could just bring yourself to mind your own damn business you might have time to find a job.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You really need to stop believing your own propaganda...

MONTH....LABOR FORCE....EMPLOYED....UNEMPLOYED..UNEMP RATE/SA RATE*

May 150,696,000 144,041,000 6,655,000 4.4% 4.6%

LAST 12 MONTH AVG... 150,134,083 142,842,417 7,291,667 4.9% 4.9%

  • S.A. -- seasonally adjusted.

France, Bwahahahahahaha....

France's generous jobless benefits, about three times those of the US and Britain, help explain its 10.1 per cent unemployment rate ? double the rates in those countries.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

why don't you hit it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Perhaps they expect a wider range of experiences in their life. If you are happy doing one thing, fine. But there aren't that many jobs which require climbing a few mountains, sailing around the Mediterranean (or Caribbean), stopping by the occasional art museum, opera, symphony, etc.

One of the principles closely associated with the "Protestant Work Ethic" seems to be that of foregoing the pleasures of life. Work hard and you will receive your reward in the next life*. Sounds a lot like "the check is in the mail".

*In this "next life", are they going to have periodic field trips to Amsterdam's red light district? If not, I've got to get some now.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.