OT: Climate Change Bullshit

Very unusual for any government to get a majority of those entitled to vote. Replacing people with activists makes more sense.

Pretty all democracies are different in some ways. 'We' don't elect judges or police - the ones who decide how a law is interpreted and enforced.

The EU being 'undemocratic' is just another of those buzz words so beloved of little Englanders.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

EU

ob

The European Parliament is a place-holder for an effective institution that might get put in place once the national governments get enough confidence in the European federation to delegate some of their powers to it.

The EU is thoroughly democratic at the nation-state level, but the step up to democracy at the federal level hasn't happened yet, and calling it undem ocratic on that basis just demonstrates an imperfect grasp of reality (as d oes seeing Muslims under the bed).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

In what respect?

Any "club" has to have rules. I fail to understand where the problems lie. As Britain has found out, it is up to members to speak with one voice. If the EU was undemocratic, I would guess that Gibraltar and indeed Ireland would be left to the whims of Britain. Who is going to give a damn if Spain wants a chunk of rock ?

For anyone taking note, Britain was the tail that wagged the EU on some of the more unsavoury choices. If anything the EU will be more democratic when Britain and it's vetos have departed.

Personally I am looking forward to the new land border at the top of the M6

A logical conclusion now after yesterdays news. With a bit of luck it will be good riddance to the DUP in the near future also.

At least Brexit has some positives. I like the Scots, even though one nasty piece of work called me "English" in Wetherspoons, Dunfermline. Sick, drunk bastard! One does not forget insults like that in a hurry!

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

The problem with activists, is that typically, its a very small minority, that want to put their beliefs on the majority, which is arguable, worse than the majority wanting to put their beliefs on to a minority.

Attempting to belittle the debater rather than the argument is a standard logical fallacy.

BREXIT THE MOVIE FULL FILM

Has actual arguments as to what's wrong with the EU. It states facts, not just opinions. e.g. 15,000 business lobbyists wining and dining the commissioners to make the laws business wants. How many regulations are there to make a pillow case - 109. 31 laws for toothbrushes....

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Just wait until it is 15,000 business lobbyists wining and dining the our incompetent MPs to make the trade agreements business wants.

Start with bits of the NHS being cherry-picked, and the profits disappearing overseas, and no taxes paid.

Move onto being forced to accept sub-standard food, e.g. chickens grown/slaughtered in such unhygenic conditions that they have to be washed in a disinfectant before being eaten.

Both of those are explicit demands, and our numbskulls will be so desperate to do a deal, any deal, that they will roll over and have their wallet tickled.

There's an old chinese proverb: be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Anything is better than *MPs* altering *medical* prescriptions...

"Pharmacists will overrule GPs to ration drugs under a no-deal Brexit, The Times has learnt.

"Ministers will order them to alter prescriptions without first contacting the patient?s GP in order to mitigate any extreme shortages, according to a leaked document.

"The contingency measure was revealed in an urgent consultation begun this week by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC). It called for rapid changes to medicine rules to ?support the continuity of supply of medicines in a ?no-deal? scenario?."

Simply gobsmacking.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I see Our Dave doesn't believe in universal suffrage. I expect he wants to be the one who chooses who is an "activist".

When you find a "little Englander", let me know would you? I've never met one.

The EU *is* undemocratic, as I've said a number of times here, and with arguments as to why that is the case. I await your debating response to my arguments (but I won't hold my breath).

See my sig below, and imagine putting Wedgie's questions to the Commissioners.

--
What power have you got?
Where did you get it from?

Tony Benn
Reply to
Tim Streater

They can do that now. I have had to have stuff changed by the pharmacist because of shortages.

Unless the script has a specific manufacturer and item on it the item can be different.

They can supply different doses to make what is prescribed.

They can also only supply a portion of an item if there is a shortage.

Reply to
invalid

TNP for one, he doesn't even like British people only the English.

Reply to
invalid

This is merely your opinion.

--
Lady Astor: "If you were my husband I'd give you poison." Churchill: "If
you were my wife, I'd drink it."

The end result is still that you get the medication the GP prescribed.

Have you ever had that happen?

There is, of course, a difference between - supplying half the prescription and then supplying the rest later, vs - supplying half the dose for the duration of the prescription

The Times article implies the latter is being planned due to medium-term shortages - and that would be dangerous.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

In a civilized country? Amazing.

My MD types a bit and I walk down the hallway, and a pharmicist hands me a bag with the stuff in it. I get refills by clicking a couple boxes on a web site, and the drugs are mailed to me.

I've never encounted a shortage or received pills that weren't the correct dosage. I do receive different colored pills of the same med, obviously generics.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Very true. The number of regs dealing with making pillowcases was a prime reason so many in the UK voted leave.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Trust you to take that in the wrong way.

But of course you are one of those activists. I'm not.

--
*i souport publik edekashun.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is a another bare faced remoaner lie.

Clearly wont happen if there arent any extreme shortages and there is no reason why there would be any extreme shortages with a no deal brexit.

Claimed not revealed, liar.

Just because some fool journo claims something...

Only for fools who are actually stupid enough to believe remoaner lies.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I'm unconvinced it has already happened as mentioned.

Different manufacturers: yes, clearly for generics.

2*1mg pill instead of 1*2mg pill? Possibly, although I've never seen it.

A two weeks supply instead of a 4 weeks supply, to be made up within 2 weeks? Possibly, although I haven't seen it.

After Brexit? Who knows. Certainly not the brexiteer politicians that - claimed trade deals would be easy (e.g. Liam Fox) - have only just become aware how much of our imports come via the Dover-Calais route (e.g. Dominic Raab) - claimed they could make trade deals with EU countries, not realising that was illegal (e.g. David Davies)

At least you can (partially) correct the damage done by Trump.

We will have to live with brexit consequences forever. (Jacob Rees-Mogg, a prominent brexiteer, has admitted that the benefits may not be apparent for 50 years, i.e. a political eternity)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That?s not what a little englander is.

The word little is significant in that phrase.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Just what some fool journo stupidly implys in a desperate attempt to flog more papers. No reason why there should be any medium term shortage with a no deal brexit.

Which is why it wouldn?t happen.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, the UK is free to rejoin the EU.

More flagrantly dishonest language. He hasn?t admitted, at most CLAIMED.

The benefits of the UK being able to decide all policy for itself instead of having it imposed by the EU will be apparent immediately, remoaner.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Did you ever take the trouble to look into that regulation? Most of it is standardizing the names of various fabrics across the EU so everyone would know what they are getting.

You think the chaos that is going to reign in the UK after Brexit is worth dismantling standardization rules?

Have you a clue about standardization?

Ever heard of a standards committee?

A friend of mine sat on one such and even served as chair for a while for a communications standards committee back in the 90s and they were upgrading standards for useless things like Ethernet, USB, and other communication protocols so all manufacturers that made an item claiming it was IEEE 8802-x (as an example) was actually compatible with all hardware that had to use that protocol to communicate with its controller.

Obscure folks such as Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and other heads of the industry sat on this committee.

You want a list of the 1000s regulations for that? Read up on Ethernet protocols. It is only 4000 pages. Updated every couple of years.

Obviously a waste of time in your opinion to have standards in something as underused as computers.

Let alone clothing that everyone wears and wants to know what they are getting into/putting on...

John

Reply to
John Robertson