Climate change erosion feeding deep ocean trash dump

There are growing concerns that increasing coastal and river-bank erosion is carrying millions of tonnes of long-buried rubbish into deep ocean canyons, where toxic waste and plastics will remain for decades.

This is the beginning of the end, troubles reinforcing troubles.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

OT:

Were there no storms or erosion prior to "The curse of anthropogenic climate change" (my words)?

I wonder where all these canyons came from?

We humans have a serious problem with pollution - adding 'climate change' as a trigger is pointless as it just pisses off any number of people who think the field of climate science is not entirely valid or uninfluenced by egos..as I believe.

I suspect the story would be just as important without tying in climate change (and when hasn't the climate changed - just ask the Mayans...) as a straw man.

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

on is carrying millions of tonnes of long-buried rubbish into deep ocean ca nyons, where toxic waste and plastics will remain for decades.

One of us doesn't understand the actual problem. The problem is the trash. The accelerated erosion is just compounding the issue.

You don't even mention the problem with our trash.

I recall a land fill where I used to live had been long abandoned until it was found to be polluting the water for a number of homes in the area. Yea h, a local problem on a small scale for sure, but one that can and will hap pen on a wider basis as time progresses.

Just as many wish to ignore climate change and various forms of pollution, they are problems that will continue to get worse until we do something. T he entire east coast surface water is polluted with a variety of substances to the point that we shouldn't eat many of the fish caught there. The ent ire oceans are polluted with heavy metals to the point that we should not e at much of the higher predator fish. This is an amazing amount of pollutio n and we continue to ignore the root causes of our ongoing many sources of pollution.

We just never learn.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Did I not say "We humans have a serious problem with pollution", trash is just another form of pollution.

Love Canal is an example of a polluted trash dump, not to forget the US (and others I'm sure) dumping radioactive waste overboard in metal drums in the 50s and 60s (AIR).

Humans learn when people remove the emotional content out of the discussion. People merely react when they are accused of something that they feel is unjust.

Teach people what the problem is - and avoid preaching (which I am guilty of here). Otherwise it just becomes another religion.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

sion is carrying millions of tonnes of long-buried rubbish into deep ocean canyons, where toxic waste and plastics will remain for decades.

h. The accelerated erosion is just compounding the issue.

t was found to be polluting the water for a number of homes in the area. Y eah, a local problem on a small scale for sure, but one that can and will h appen on a wider basis as time progresses.

, they are problems that will continue to get worse until we do something. The entire east coast surface water is polluted with a variety of substanc es to the point that we shouldn't eat many of the fish caught there. The e ntire oceans are polluted with heavy metals to the point that we should not eat much of the higher predator fish. This is an amazing amount of pollut ion and we continue to ignore the root causes of our ongoing many sources o f pollution.

It's worse than anyone knows. Take the Great Lakes as an example. Beautiful natural wonders surrounded by plush verdant northern forests, except they' re not quite. They're loaded with mercury, pcb's and dioxins. Eat the fish at your peril.

The Michigan state fish advisory:

If you:

? are under the age of 15,

? have health problems, like cancer or diabetes,

? are planning on having children in the next several years, currently pregnant, or breastfeeding,

MDHHS suggests you avoid eating all fish listed as ?Limited? ? because of higher levels of chemicals.

If NONE of the above apply to you, it is usually OK to eat fish listed as ?Limited? 1 or 2 times each year.

T_MI_WEB_455360_7.pdf

There's nothing unique about Michigan, almost every state has this problem. Check your state's fishing advisory to get an idea of its toxic industrial legacy.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There is no removal of emotional content from anything related to humans. Even using pure logic is ultimately tied to emotions as we have to apply th e logic and any human decision is ultimately an emotional decision. That's all we are actually capable of.

It's a bit like quantum mechanics. We can be very far removed and say a si tuation is governed by classical mechanics, but we know that the underlying basis is actually still quantum mechanics even if it is not very visible.

Ok, not sure what to make of any of that. Perhaps it is so emotionally cha rged that it sounds logical?

--

  Rick C.

  + Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
gnuarm.deletethisbit

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 5:57:46 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

m. Check your state's fishing advisory to get an idea of its toxic industri al legacy.

That's the part that blew me away when I realized it. I grew up near the P otomac River which used to be really filthy. More recently I've heard how it has been cleaned up. Then I started kayaking... A first hand view of p lastic litter of all manner combined with human filth is the image I have o f kayaking on the waters of Washington, D.C. I wouldn't let my children sw im in it.

But it wasn't until I found the James river is the same way or even worse.. . I've never been able to count the condoms floating in the Potomac... and that even Lake Anna which is fed by fairly small streams, are all polluted to a similar degree. We are living in our own filth, pretty much everywher e. In the US we mostly do things to make it less visible rather than fixin g the problems, which would be hard to do.

Kennedy said we should go to the moon "because it is hard". Perhaps he sho uld have pointed us in the direction of not polluting the planet, "because it is hard"?

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Or even better, for millions of years.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com