OT: Anyone Know Where to get 30-40% H2O2 in Ontario, Canada?

Hi,

Does anyone know where to get 30 to 40% food grade hydrogen peroxide in Ontario, Canada?

This is on the Canadian HAZMAT list and shipping costs will be exorbitant, so I'd rather not buy from British Columbia. A local supplier would be great - preferably near Barrie, Orillia, or Midland, Ontario.

Thanks,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett
[...]

Oldtimers at drug stores and pharmacies remember it, but it's not even on their computers now. Hair dressers used to buy it and dilute it down to working strength. Not any more. They get 6% now.

An icebreaker was in the harbor a week ago or so, and the ice is pretty much gone by now. But it will be a while before people start thinking about pools:) I haven't seen much activity in hot tubs, but will check anyway.

No. For an experiment. Not rockets.

Thanks!

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett
[...]

Yes, I tried calling places to trace back through their suppliers, but nobody seems to have it anymore. I'll keep looking.

Thanks!

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

Lab supply places list it at a fairly reasonable price ($19 US for

500ml 35% solution).

"Substance is listed in Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) inventory."

Don't poison yourself with this stuff, eh?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany
[...]

Hi Speff, Thanks. That's a pretty good price. Where did you find it?

Don't worry - I know it's nasty stuff. I just did an experiment with 3% that went very well. It should go like gangbusters on 35%!

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

Alfa. The Canadian distributor is VWR International, but maybe you have your own favorite source for reagent grade chemicals.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany
[...]

OK, Thanks very much. I was looking for food grade since the stabilizers should be ingestible, but I'll try to get some and see how it works.

Also, it just occurred to me that a local high school chemistry department may have some. I'll try them also. They used to be a great source of all kinds of things needed to make rockets and bombs when I was a kid.

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

How much ?, Drug Stores carried it in my Youth as 100 Volume H2O2 = 35% H2O2 by assay. I would try Hot Tub suppliers, Swimming Pool Suppliers, Hair-Dressing Suppliers. Regular medical grade Peroxide is about 5%. I suspect Bleached Blondes would buy the 100 Volume stuff hence try the hair-dressers.

Yukio YANO

is this for Etching PC boards ?

Ammonium Perchlorate and Nitric acid also come to mind, as more aggressive than Ferric Chloride.

Reply to
Yukio YANO

sorry, but Yellow pages? good old fashioned paper data. Google would be/ is usless at this sort of thing. Or ask a pharmacy human who supplies him.

martin

After the first death, there is no other. (Dylan Thomas)

Reply to
martin griffith

You could try nntp://rec.models.rockets. There are some ontario rocketteers with h202 experience that might be able to help you out.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Pearson

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post there and see if anyone knows.

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

Is Evel Knievel still alive? He used an H2O2 rocket to go half-way across the Snake River Canyon some years ago...

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, you googled far enough to find his skycycle, I'm surprised you didn't find his site. Apparently he is still alive (some people are just lucky).

...and to disprove Darwin:

  Keith
Reply to
Keith Williams
[...]

Hi Rene,

Yes, it can be distilled. Here's one example for 90% to 98% H2O2:

"The still are designed to concentrate any kind of hydrogen peroxide and at any starting concentration even a low concentration to concentrate to 90%-99% to be used as a rocket "fuel" by the removal of the desired water."

"The distillation unit sizes are: 20 liters (5.26 gal) $7550 USD and 50 liters (13.15 gal) $18500 USD, on special order we can make a (PYREX) glass distillation unit up to 250 liters (66 gal.)"

Of course, there is the problem of loud noises caused by impurities. For example the ME263 Komet and Russian Kursk.

Maybe I should stick with 35% food grade:)

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

IMO, it could be concentrated from some diluted solution. It has a higher boiling point than water doesn't it ? So just fill it into the rotation evaporator and go hiding. It is rather unstable at higher concentrations, so ...

;-) Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:23:49 -0700, Rich Grise wrote (in article ):

That is a steam "engine" vehicle.

-- Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.

DaveC snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net This is an invalid return address Please reply in the news group

Reply to
DaveC