Anyone know where to get one of these 9-pin mini-DIN connectors?

See:

I'm looking for a replacement connector for a Logitech Z-3 set of speakers. A 9-pin mini-DIN-type connector is used, and unfortunately the shield wire between the cable and the actual metal shield was pulled loose one day when the cable was being pulled too strongly from an odd angle. I attempted to repair this problem, but I haven't been successful in anything that's a reliable solution... hence I'm looking to just find the bare connector and re-terminate the cable.

Wikipedia

seems to think this is a "standard" 9-pin mini-DIN connector, although it doesn't match what Cui (available from DigiKey) thinks of as their "standard"

9-pin mini-DIN:
.

Does anyone know where to find a replacement connector?

Thanks,

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Can you not simply contact Logitech or any of the other manufacturers the wiki lists for that connector?

Hell, buying the mouse and chopping it off would be cheaper than all this hunting and personal time spent looking for the connector.

The Nvidia as well as the Radeon cards both use that as a video out port, so cables are available from them as well.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

I'm severely doubt it: In general Logitech doesn't sell replacement discrete parts for what they manufacture, and in this particular case the connector is part of a molded cable so they wouldn't have a regular non-molded connector available anyway. (I suppose they might have the complete replacement cable available, but the other ends of the cable end up soldered down inside of speakers and a volume control -- replacing the connector, if possible, is a lot less work than replacing the cable.)

It's not a mouse?

If you look at the last Flickr photograph, it has a picture of one of those. I ohmed it out, though, and it doesn't contact all 9 pins (only

5), so this isn't suitable either.

Thanks for the suggestions,

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Darn... in this case I'd hate to throw away everything, since other than the cable connector itself, everything works.

Yeah, so it would seem!

I beeped it out so I do have a pinout, but thanks for the link.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I through one of those systems away not to long ago because it failed and not worth repairing in my eyes.

They make different sized DIN plugs/rec that are considered miniature so you may want to make some measurements.

check below for a rather good place to find plug wiring specs. not sure yours will be there though.

Jamie

Instead of throwing the thing away, just find a suitable connector pair that you can use to replace on both sides of the cable... Lots better than wasting time that obviously isn't producing a direct replacement. If all pins aren't used in the connectors, just get a pair that has enough pins to do the job and replace them all.

Cheers, Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Did you see this?

I'd probably just run a separate wire and terminate it under a screw head or something like that...

Reply to
David DiGiacomo

I was talking about the whole cable. It would be a simple part on their shelf.

More likely a bit better engineered than that, but nothing one that attempted to repair a damaged, jerked cable couldn't handle. --

Not really. Connectors, especially miniaturized types, are very hard to assemble, and are always best done by folks that have been doing nothing but that very thing all day long. The intricacies are many. The other end, however, is likely no more than a few standard connections on a PCB assembly or even a terminal block (less likely).

Did you even visit the wiki site, dingledorf? There are several makers that USE THAT CONNECTOR on there interface cabling.

It depends on what cable you get. Regardless, the connector itself is available. It had to be manufactured, after all. AND it did get utilized by more than one maker, and those makers all used the "standard" type as opposed to one of the non-standard 9-pin configurations. That means that someone out there makes them so the molded cable makers can use them.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

Wire past it then. HARD wire the thing, and you could snip the cable and put your own interconnect in as well. Easy, greasy, japanesy.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

No, but in looking closely, that one is different: The top row of three pins has one of the pins staggered rather than all equally spaced. (This is more easily seen examining the sockets rather than the plugs). But thanks for the idea!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yeah, I thought of that, but I took the screws on the rear cover plate off and everything is still held together by various soldered-down/crimped on cables: It definitely wasn't *meant* to ever be disassembled once it left the factory. :-(

Hence, it'll take more time to completely re-connectorize the thing than to just replace a single 9-pin mini-DIN cable, but I might just have to do that if I can't find a replacement.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

OK, I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask.

I'll be absolutely shocked if they sell it; I'll post back what they say.

Yeah, but that's a big difference from being able to get a discrete connector: Any manufacturer with volume is using molded cables, so "generic" connectors are harder to come by, particularly for those such as this that were never that common relative to, e.g., D-subs.

Sure, and that's why I took a chance on the one I have, only to discover only 5 pins go anywhere. But if you know of a cable that has all 9 pins connecting to individual wires, I'm absolutely up for cutting and splicing such a cable.

The fact that cable makers can get the inserts to make cables in volume in no way implies that it's easy for someone to buy just one or two complete "generic" connectors (the insert plus backshell). If these were so easy to get ahold of, I expect someone here would have posted a source by now. (I checked DigiKey, Mouser, and All Electronics... I should expand my search though, I suppose...)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

The 9-pin you linked to on the wiki had a non-symetrical spacing on the 'central' row.

Reply to
SoothSayer

There are not "authorized repair facilities" like in the old days with stereos and TVs anymore, so you are likely right, and they are like Sony, where it is like pulling teeth to get a part.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

Evena a cable that uses only five of the nine for the cable, likely still has a fully pin populated connector.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

Which is why hunting up a cable is likely easier.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

The connector here is a mini-DIN 8 connector with an added ninth wire. So, if you don't need the ninth wire, you can use a miniDIN-8 to replace your faulty cable.

Apple used this connector when they added a power pin to their serial port, and all the old Geoport modem/telecom-adapter gizmos have similar plugs, you could salvage a cord from one of those (if you can find 'em).

It might be possible to trim away the potting and rebuild the connector you have, if it's only the shield wire that's at fault; a miniDIN-8 connector has all the parts you'll need, except the block-o-pins insert (which may be intact in the broken unit).

Reply to
whit3rd

Could it be this one? Digikey has them, CP-2090-ND:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to