OT: About America in this NG

the

nd

Silly question tacked on to a couple of remarkably silly statements.

In the opinion of a more than usually out-of-touch-with-reality right- wing nitwit, who hasn't got a clue what needs to be done and thinks that the people who are tackling the problems are doing it wrong and should stop.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Cool! Moving target practice! Actually I'm usually still very much up and awake at 2AM. Your ne'er do well unemployed and sociopathetic biker buddies will only annoy my redneck neighbors (and I mean that in a positive way), and they will take care of the problem as they well know how. The coyotes and buzzards (and perhaps the local Chupacabra) soon dispose of any evidence.

It's a pity that you equate success with gratuitous conspicuous consumption and dangerous, irresponsible behavior on public roads, and resort to a childish threat. Typical neoconservative hillbilly right-whiner.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Ignoramus! You have to have a reasonably good income to afford, and maintain, a Harley.

Rather a hillbilly... and I really am... try Pendleton County, WV, than a fairy. ...Jim Thompson

Don't accuse Thompson of being a neoconservative, when in actuality he's just a selfish jerk. There *is* a difference.

No argument about the hillbilly part.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

ies

Which bikers traditionally generate by dealing in recreational drugs, rather than by having well-paid conventional jobs.

,

ion

Not that people choose to be fairies or hillbillies. If Jim Thompson had chosen to learn anything outside of electronics at MIT he might have been able to transcend his origins - many do - but he wasn't up for that kind of intellectual adventure.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

    ...Jim Thompson
> --
> | James E.Thompson, CTO
   |    mens     |
> | Analog Innovations, Inc.
  |     et      |
> | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems  |    manus
 |
> | Phoenix, Arizona  85048    Skype: Contacts Only  |
      |
> | Voice:(480)460-2350  Fax: Available upon request |  Brass Rat  |
> | E-mail Icon athttp://www.analog-innovations.com|    1962     |
>
> I love to cook with wine.     Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Reply to
Bill Sloman

And that is mostly done electronically these days. Lots of it semi skilled near minimum wage jobs.

Reply to
josephkk

excavation

This is a good example of why it will become increasingly difficult to achieve higher employment rates, especially for more than minimum wage positions. There is really no need for businesses to hire more people, because the same jobs can be done by machines and robots and computers which may need only a few administrators and techs to keep them operating at a

high degree of productivity, especially per capita. Also, machines don't

require unemployment benefits, health care, and comfortable offices and factory floors, and they don't sue the business when they lose a finger while goofing off and being careless.

It was especially ironic that Mitt Romney claimed he could achieve a much better employment statistic, while his business experience was mostly downsizing and outsourcing labor, and practically no real knowledge of the technology sector where good jobs might still be available - if US applicants had the education and abilities to fill them.

And the unemployed executives who once had cushy jobs juggling books and

playing games with banking and hedge funds and other ways of making money on speculation and the fairy tale of infinite growth - well, they should work for minimum wage or just live off the savings they should have accumulated while they were riding high on the financial bubble. If they lived beyond their means and incurred unmanageable debt while making six figures - they deserve to struggle and work menial jobs, or beg for bread and water.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

So change tax policy, change the health care system, and change liability law to make it more appealing to hire people.

And quit loaning kids trillions of dollars to study sociology, political science, human ecology, journalism, and fine arts, when there's a shortage of welders and controls techs and auto mechanics. Of course employers replace people with computers and machines: government punishes employers for hiring people.

And another benefit of machines: they don't go out on strike.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Thou shalt not covet. ...Jim Thompson

Oh, come now! What background Obama had before he became the Prez? He couldn't hold a candle to Romney when it comes to understanding how economy works.

Reply to
cameo

Obama was very good with people, especially the 95-99% who are not privileged and who constitute most of the US population. He is also very

bright and is willing to learn and accept new information, while Romney only understands what he thinks he knows, based on an outmoded obsolete economic and business model. Romney knows how to play the games that benefit him and his upper class elite cronies - the "common man (or woman)", not so much.

There is none so stupid as he who thinks he knows it all. And, as Romney

proved, some people might have been fooled as long as he kept a low profile, but he opened his mouth and left no doubt of his disconnected ignorance and stupidity. I can just see him slapping his forehead and kicking his own ass, saying, as Homer Simpson expresses so well, "D-oh!"

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

All demagogues are good with people. So that means nothing substantive. And as to that 95-99%, don't be ridiculous. I certainly belong to that group with almost half the population that did not vote for him. The only true part in that is that indeed, 95-95% constitutes the majority of the population. Big surprise!

How do you know that? Did you see his grade report? Why is he guarding them so well?

This is not quantifiable and can be said about virtually anybody.

Just what is that obsolete business model? Are you at all qualified to even judge him on that? What accomplishments can you show for it?

You've got to come up with more objective stuff in an engineering oriented NG than mouthing such leftwing rubbish. You might have better luck in some social science NG with it.

Indeed, and you should look into a mirror and repeat it.

What the hell are you talking about? He stood his ground quite well against Obama in the debates and talked substance while the Obama campaign conducted personal attacks most of the time, demonizing him and other successful business people. Obama made the politics of envy a successful strategy. Romney was just too decent to engage in that kind of demonizing strategy because he considered it below him. It costed him the election.

Reply to
cameo

Understanding how the economy works isn't what your president is elected to do. Once he's elected, he can get advice from a lot of people with that particular skill.

Paul Krugman, with his Nobel Prize for Economics, has been advising anybody who reads his column in The New York Times for some years now, and he's probably rather better informed than even Mitt Romney.

Oddly enough, neither party seems to have nominated him as a presidential candidate. Your lot don't seem to like his advice, and it could be that your understanding of the economy is restricted to that part of the economy that makes money for you. Mitt Romney's understanding of his favourite bits of the economy made him a lot of money, but the people who used to work for a lot of the companies he "turned around" might have had a less positive opinion of his specific expertise.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

So you think that he is a demagogue,"a leader who makes use of popular prejudices and false claims and promises in order to gain power "

So list the false claims and promises ...

If you can sustain the argument that he's a demagogue, which you may find difficult.

He understood you well enough, but he wasn't prepared to make the kinds of false claims that might have persuaded you to vote for him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

ote:

Digging an exploratory hole by hand doesn't seem to be easy to do electronically.

It's a terrible example. The guy who is doing the digging needs to be able to understand what he's seeing as he digs, and not stick his pickaxe into a bundle of coaxial cables or the like.

hich

Some of the same jobs. Keeping the machines running isn't trivial and needs skilled labour.

law to

So they become cheaper than machines?

e of

There'd be less of a shortage if welders, control techs and auto mechanics got paid more. Where's your faith in the market?

And we actually do need sociologists, political scientists, ecologists, journalists and experts in the fine arts - not perhaps as many as we graduate - but if we paid them less the market might fix that too.

That's one way of looking at it. For some jobs, computers and machines are both cheaper and better, and if they are misused nobody cares except the accountants.

But the people who keep them working retain that right. Heavily automated industries are remarkably vulnerable to selective withdrawal of labour.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ote:

One of those commandments that gives religion a bad name. We aren't allowed to covet the the good things that our dodgy neighbour accumulated over a life-time of sharp practice. It makes for ill- feeling and discontent, as if the original sharp practice hadn't done that anyway.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

But that guy wasn't digging and filling, he was finding buried services to protect them from damage.

That's valuable. Digging and filling for its own sake isn't, yet lots of people think it produces prosperity.

It's a frustrating (e.g. to Bill Sloman), but vital distinction--that misunderstanding is the /root/ of /most/ of the political divide in America today--some people are only counting the benefits, and neglect the costs.

They're all variations on the Broken Window Fallacy.

Example: Nancy Pelosi's insistence that food stamps and unemployment checks produce nearly 2x increase in economic activity. She's right, there's a /local/ increase--the guy who gets it--but, no /net/ increase. (Having people not working does not increase the production of desirable goods and services. Giving them money earned by other people does not rectify that.) It's bad to a first order, and worse

2nd order effects obtain (misallocation of economic resources, cronyism, corruption).

Overall, it's a loss. A big one.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

But

x,

the

is

nt.

le

nce

of

,

ls

ed

put

eady

on

and

es,

,

much

ly

Yes. Nationalized by Obamacare, the student loan thing is a mess.

ing-quickly/

Obama won over a lot of students with student loans and Pell grants. But, the increase in their medical insurance alone (due to the health control law) overwhelms that, as many *just* discovered. Whoops. Not to mention the deficit--they're the ones who'll have to pay the bill for the "free" stuff they voted for. Not just college, but the debt too. Whoops again.

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

We keep having predictable economic crisies, which practically nobody in business, government, or academia predicts.

FHA next, unless something else beats it to the top of the crisis stack.

The government (fed and many cities and states) debt interest-rate toggle is just waiting to trip. It will be huge.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Bill,

I'm not sure that your scenario is in conflict with the commandment, at least as I understand it.

From

I get the following:

  1. to desire wrongfully, inordinately, or without due regard for the rights of others: to covet another's property. 2. to wish for, especially eagerly: He won the prize they all coveted.

I assume your comment above uses 'covet' in the second sense, that is, 'desire': seeing your neighbor with an iPod and wanting to own one as well.

On the other hand, I suspect that The Commandments' Author might have intended the the first meaning, that us, wanting the item someone else possesses so much that we want to take it away from them. If I'm correct then there is no objection in the commandment to desiring, or even owning, a different iPod, just a stricture against wanting the iPod your neighbor already owns.

YMMV.

Frank McKenney

--
  Human beings feel an instinctive urge to ally with the wise, the
  generous, the benevolent, and the righteous.  Caring people wish to