Very OT: Is there an active beer brewing NG?

Folks,

After a 30+ year hiatus I want to get back into beer brewing. Rec.crafts.brewing has a whopping 1 posts (one) in two months so that can be considered anemic. Does anyone know a better place? Preferably Usenet or at least NNTP and not Yahoo or one of those newfangled places with all this log-in bureaucracy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sad that you are so drunk that you do not know how to hunt up a web based forum.

Almost as bad as that Thompson retard asking about CPU power all while claiming to be some big MIT great.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Dunno, but I'll ask my beer-brewing friend and get back to you. He won't know squat about USENET, so it'll be a forum someplace.

If we can ever get the kids to actually move out of the house and stay moved out I may have time to dabble in brewing myself -- it's been about

30 years for me, too.
--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

We haven't had a kid in the house (other than visiting grandchildren) for 20+ years... quite nice... I can run around the house totally nude and there's no one to notice ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Fortunately :-)

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

I am NOT coming to visit!

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

As long as it's not one of those over-fluffified forums with tons of bureaucracy but where they can't even get the threading right. It is one reason why I am almost never on the LTSpice forum.

I just need my clients to let up a bit, then I can devote time to brewing. It needs a large part of a day and can't easily be interrupted by calls about some acute technical problem. Probably I'll start out with one of the 2-gallon "Mr.Beer" kits and build back up from there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

snip

Jeez, dude. LEARN to perform a simple google search!

This isn't electronics at all.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Huh? Just subscribe to the "List" and the discussions come in your E-mail. I subscribe to the "digest" version to avoid a constant dribble of E-mails. Have a question, just submit it to the list via an E-mail... answers come quickly.

I prefer to buy wine rather than deal with the mess of fermentation, etc... ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I don't like that barrage of email from the various forums. The Usenet format works best. You look at threads and only download messages that promise to be interesting. As the old saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Yeah, but it's a real manly thing when you can open a bottle or barrel, the guys want to know where they can get this stuff and you can say "mis en bouteille dans notre garage".

Ever since I mounted panniers on my bikes, bought a stainless growler and regularly bring home the good stuff I'd really like to get back into brewing. Not because a 64oz growler fill costs a whopping $16-$21 without the tip but because often I get there and then they are out of the Pale Ale or of something else we liked so much. I always find some tasty Belgian style ale but my wife doesn't like strong beer and then your selection can be reduced to between zero and two kinds of brew.

Since there are so many self-driven people out here I was hoping that one of them is a home-brewer and could point out a good and efficient forum.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

I never felt any need to impress "the guys" >:-}

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Right. So your post about how many bookshelves you have or the fact that you feel the need to display them in your house, despite the FACT that 70% of it is archaic reference manuals to no longer existing parts is not an attemp at impressing someone.

Sure, bub.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

There are some web forums out there that are fairly unobtrusive. I'm on a couple of model airplane ones that are nice, with none of the email BS.

So it's at least _possible_ to have a decent web forum.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Well, I'm a semi-lapsed home brewer (the fermenters are mostly full, and I'm "bulk aging, yeah, that's it, bulk aging." Which is somewhat applicable to the mead and cider, but stretching it a bit on the beer. But at least the fermenters are glass.) rec.crafts.brewing is still on my newsgroup list, and I'd say go ahead and post there - the way to bring it back is to use it. The herds have roamed elsewhere, and elsewhere is forums that not only need logging into, but frequently also keep trying to sell you on a "membership fee" to get rid of ads or see the secret files or both. I'm much more lapsed on my foray into those than I am on brewing.

Bottling is a bit of a chore, but I'm still not ready to join the keggers. If I could get some software written for my obsolete peristaltic pump (smart, but not QUITE smart ENOUGH) bottling would go easier (though the pump does make it less hassle than siphoning to bottle.)

I'm also kinda bummed that Laaglander has become very difficult to source for DME. I'm quite happy with DME-specialty-grains - I'm being dragged reluctantly to partial mash and the horror of all grain by unsuitable fermentability profiles driven by pale-ale heads - but I guess you are one ;-)

I tend towards dark and thick (lots of unfermentables left unfermented) and evidently it's not popular (when I started, the "so dark you can't see through it" aspect of my default brew was the more unpopular aspect of it.)

Ecnerwal

Reddit is the new Usenet:

There's probably another subreddit on the subject.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Done.

I remember bottling to be messy. The largest chore was sterilization.

30+ years ago in Europe we used Grolsch flip-top bottles and bought new rubber seals for the ceramic stopper up to.

Yes, I must confess that I am one but more because it's popular with other folks. My wife also likes Pale Ale and IPA. Personally I like dark and heavier ales.

After all, one can't drink the whole growler alone. Well, I could, but it wouldn't be healthy.

I like the beers where you can hold a bright halogen light behind the glass and nothing shines through.

When you want specialty dark beers out here a 64oz growler fill can easily run north of $20 plus the tip. Often they run low on the kegs and exclude certain beers from growler fills. That alone would make home-brewing quite useful. Plus it's fun.