OT: About America in this NG

If you were as dumb and ill-informed as krw you could think that, if you were to dignify the decision-forming process as "thinking". Being cringingly obsequious is a more informative description of the process.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

As US sitizen, I have the same say and same vote as everybody else. At least in the theory. However, as everything has already been decided in the government, it would be more accurate to say that my opinion does not have any weight as well as everybody else's.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Good observations, Petrus!

Reply to
cameo

Vlad, ty nichevo nie poniemayesh.

Reply to
cameo

here

hey

most

Wrong. I had a long term residence permit in the Netherlands (which is on the verge of expiring) but I was born in Burnie, Tasmania, of Australian-born parents, with three Australian-born grandparents, and I'm an Australian citizen.

One of my great-uncles (Leonard Woodward Turner, who was actually born in the UK) fought at Gallipoli, got wounded there and died six weeks later of those wounds on Lemnos.on the 27th July 1915. This is roughly equivalent to having had an ancestor on the Mayflower, though the Mayflower only carried 102 passengers, while the Gallipoli campaign killed 8700 Australians.

Bill Sloman, Sydney

Reply to
Bill Sloman

there

ty

they

t most

ot

pe

re

She's retired from the job she had in the Netherlands, but is working flat out over here.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, while those in the latter group figure out how to make a living, the beggars who hold up those "Don't have money to eat" signs at busy intersections and freeway off-ramps tend to be native born Americans. Go, figure ...

Reply to
cameo

Where do you get that he lives in the US? Last time I checked he lived in Holland but AFAIK any Dutch can visit the US without visa.

Reply to
cameo

Just to make sure, I was talking about Petrus as he was quoted in Pedro's post.

Reply to
cameo

Yeah, I think the American Enterprise Institute issued that report. Or was it Heritage? I think Larry Craig wrote it. Wait, maybe Bob Allen. No, Bruce Barclay.

Reply to
miso

I was referring to Sloman, the person to whom I expect Petrus was in turn referring.

Reply to
pedro

My error.

That could explain a lot ...

Reply to
pedro

OK, I've got it now. I guess this time I was slow, man. ;-)

Reply to
cameo

No reason to beat yourself up.

Reply to
who where

, there

rty

f they

nt most

not

ope

Burnie is on the North-West coast of Tasmania, where everybody seems to have four grandparents (as I did, though they all lived in South Australia). The guy who I usually beat out for top the boys as we went through school is now professor of inorganic chemistry in Melbourne - it wasn't your typical Tasmanian country town at the time.

5863311
--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

More like 'Up a stream...'

Some foreign exchange students are delightful, like the daughter of a high ranking Brazilian general who used to visit our house. She was beautiful, and sang like an angel. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No canoe.

Maybe Slowman can exchange at Thompson's place. ;-)

Reply to
krw

What has Jim ever done to you to warrant that?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

pull

em

of a

Maybe he figures that Jim could use the education. Australians do volunteer abroad (AVI) to educate the natives - not usually in the US, but Jim does represent a pocket of particularly concentrated ignorance.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

No worry, just a little self-deprecating.

Reply to
cameo