OT: A desperate cry for help from Germany

It wasn't Soros who drove that particular shift - Jethro Tull

has rather more responsibility. Before him, you needed to have roughly 50% of the population living in the country to grow enough food to feed the oth er 50%.

These days, in advanced industrial countries, about 1% of the population ca n grow enough food to feed the other 99%. Australia's rural population peak ed in 1890. In France and Germany it has taken a generation or two to get t he redundant peasants of the land and into cities where they can be usefull y employed.

If the elite had felt that it made more sense to kill them off, that would have already happened, but the elite seems content with sub-replacement fer tility.

There may be some kind of consciousness of the lesson of the Black Death ba ck around 1350, when the dying off of 30% of the population vastly improved the bargaining position of the peasants vis-a-vis the elite, but Julian Ba rnes wouldn't know about that - he doesn't know much, and most of what he t hinks he knows is comically incorrect, as in this example.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I have a portentious suspicion that whoever wins it won't be the end of the matter.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Is that a reference to the Democrat Congressman who recently revealed he believed that all the world's islands are in fact floating on the surface of the seas and oceans? And these are the people we entrust to act in our best interests. :(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The worst ones are those that channel Jean Luc Picard, and think (word used loosely) that saying "make it so" is sufficient for it to /be/ so. Perception is everything - isn't it?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You mean the one who thought Guam might tip over ?

I wonder which party the dingbat who asked if it would be cheaper to take a bus to Hawaii belongs to.

Reply to
jurb6006

Hank Johnson. He really believed that Guam was about to capsize because of all of the servicemen we had stationed there. He's not the only Democrat who's that stupid.

Reply to
krw

Cursitor Doom has the pretentious delusion that his suspicions are worth worrying about. If we wanted to know what he thought, we'd read the Daily Express, and who'd want to do that?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I bet Slowman would vote for him if possible.

Reply to
jurb6006

Here's a quick and dirty snapshot from pp. 367-368 of "Bill and Dave," by M ichael Malone:

Footnote 75 attributes this account to Hewlett's son Walter. Malone adds, "It should be noted that (Ford Motor Co. president and Stanford Business Sc hool dean) Arjay Miller, who was present at the event, in telling the same anecdote, often leaves out the mild obscenity in Hewlett's quote."

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

Spectacularly uninformed as usual. Trump isn't close to liberty-based smaller-government Tea Party, he's a big-government Democrat. But he doesn't hate the country, and he's not bent on setting us against each other.

Not that facts matter in your universe, but Hillary's speeches and debates have been laced with calculated slanders, loaded and coded, about "fair share," "greed," misogyny; division on race, sex, class, income, etc. It doesn't get more poisonous, more divisive than that.

That's the old game of dividing into groups, appealing to greed, envy, and fear, then telling each division they've been 'wronged' by all the others, all of it manufactured. Plus there's her "deplorables" comment.

She's making wounds that won't heal.

The Democrats are now a coalition of grievance groups bent on revenge, 'victims' preying for relief.

(Yes, 'preying.')

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

She was horrible at HP, to HP, and for HP, IMHO. But I saw her a few years ago, and she's grown. A lot. People learn.

She was better. And today, a few years later, better still. I rather like her, now.

I think the funny thing is that our pro-regressive forces, struggling for an all-powerful central-government monarchy like those pre-dating the American revolution, seem to recoil at former, younger, brasher Carly's imperiousness at H.P.

They vote for exactly that, the thing they say they oppose. Iron-fisted Barack, breaking laws right and left, and now Hillary the Avenger, who'll make America hate again. But maybe there's hope.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I think Trump will out-perform his polling.

Did you hear Trump's Gettsyburg speech? I'm not a Trump fan, but I have to admit it was excellent.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Impressive image. Total nonsense, and it gets most of it's force from the comic contrast between the reality of a careful constitutional lawyer and the extravagant comic book fantasy.

Another comical contrast between the sober reality and the comic book image. Hillary Clinton and Angela Merkel as the caped and malign grandmothers (though Angela Merkel is only a step-grandmother).

James Arthur can believe quite a number of impossible things before breakfast - it was one of the exercises at his right-wing re-education camp. Saying anything nice about Trump strains that capacity to its limit.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

There's a fascinating scoop in this weeks National Enquirer. They sent reporters in to snatch Hitlary's garbage and sifted through it. Basically it was the same as Elvis's just before he died - tons of old junk food wrappers and drug paraphernalia (both street and legal) Oh, and some classified documents that should have been destroyed. Clearly she is one desperately sick bitch. Try to get a copy if you can, it's a real eye- opener. They reckon she now weighs 289 pounds, over a hundred of which has gone on just in the last 3 months! Side-effects from some of the heavy anti-seizure meds she's on most likely. Plus all those cheeseburgers of course. "she's eating herself to death and could die at any moment" reports the Enquirer. Check it for yourself and have a good laugh at the pictures of the fat, sweaty pig. I did! ;->

Reply to
Julian Barnes

Why the f*ck did you post that ?

Oh, to get Slowman worked up into a frenzy.

Carry on.

Reply to
jurb6006

That would not be hard, since almost all the polls are heavily biased in favor of Hitlary.

Inspiring is the only word for it! "The New Gettysburg Address" is how I for one will remember it.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

Its a darn sight better researched and far more accurate than his trashy rag of choice, the NYT.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

Yup, and even Michael Moore concedes this point in this heartwarming short clip:

Julian Barnes

What Michael Moore knows, and Julian Barnes is happy to ignore, is that pic king your allies on the basis that they don't like people you don't like is n't great way of building an effective alliance.

Unemployed Americans aren't getting a great deal from the US elite, but Don ald Trump wants to replace the current US elite with one just as rapacious that happens to include him, and he'll say anything - contradicting himself in the process - to get his current audience on-side.

Julian Barnes is dumb enough, or partisan enough, to ignore this.

Michael Moore has a higher opinion of his audience.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The National Enquirer has been known to pay sources for fabricated stories. It does happen to be pro-Trump, which is why Julian Barnes would prefer it to more reliable media sources - he is a pro-Trump propaganda zombie.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to