OT?

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Start by selecting 'images' in google page before entering ther search criteria Then try "Monkey Brains satellite dish".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Don't like foreign food?

Monkey Brains is our provider. They are great. If something ever goes wrong, they get a guy here in half an hour. I think they walk.

Here's the dish on our roof:

and a similar one on Amazon:

That would sound like a bargain to me for $1000.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ricky likes to steal electricity to charge his Tesla.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

onsdag den 23. oktober 2019 kl. 17.52.17 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com:

that is basically how cable tv started, Leroy E. "Ed" Parsons put a large antenna on top of a hotel and ran a coax to his home because his wife wanted to watch TV. TV got popular and he started distributed the signal via coax to other homes for a fee

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

40GB of "family photos"? Is that compressed? That's a lotta family photos.

In any case 44 hour upload is unpleasant but not unheard of like when we had to upload ah, not-a-video-game over a 2400 modem to a buddy back in the day. Run it from a second PC and just let it go. DSL or satellite way more reliable than an analog modem, too. Moooom put down the phone goddamn!!!

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote in news:Ii7sF.147304$ snipped-for-privacy@fx04.iad:

Photos (image files) are typically the most non compressible data file there is. So 40GB of photo files is likely only 35GB 'compressed'. Not worth the time some would argue.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"Hmm...these family photos all seem to be of Russian submarine pens in Murmansk down to a quarter meter resolution!"

"Yes, yes sir that is correct I am descended from a proud line of nuclear attack submarines."

Reply to
bitrex

** Giant huh ??

Image files are JPEGS so easily re-sized with some los.

Likely the OP has files straight from camera or mobile phone which are huge - like 4 to 10MB.

A good family pic only needs a tenth of that.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil Allison wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

He did not say resolution degrading resizing. He said COMPRESSION, as in trying to make the amount of data uploaded less, without ANY degradation of the original files.

Naaahh... I have pics that are 15MB raw.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You don't know what you are talking about. ISDN was 128k as 2x 64k bonded pairs. I had that for a while before ADSL became available.

BT hobbled ADSL to 2MB initially because they didn't want to undercut their highly lucrative and misnamed business kilostream leased line (which only got you a 64k digital fixed line point to point connection).

They are still just about selling it to suckers (ends 1st April 2020).

ADSL is digital *at* the exchange with fibre backhaul but there is just very old copper wire from the exchange to my house. I know this for a fact. There have been plenty of line breaks along it over the years due to falling trees, hedge flailers and mechanical diggers finding the cables. My rural line is a little unusual in that there are no cabinets between me and the exchange. BT designate it an exchange only line (ie there is no cabinet number). That is how they do it out in the sticks.

Normal UK town and city telecoms configuration is they run stuff out to a cabinet (which when fibre to cabinet is available needs mains power but is otherwise just a passive set of interconnects between cables).

There was a scheme to run fibre to remote node which was intended to be a powered micro cabinet to serve small villages but it sank without trace since there was no way they could make money by installing it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

That is available where I live too. But I get caught by the strict line of sight requirement hills and trees in the way. To install a booster node I would have to find at least 5 others wanting fast internet. Our village hall (which I run) has strict line of sight to a node so I can connect to that and get a much faster connect if I need to.

Where I live there is no mains gas nor any kind of cable anything beyond classic prehistoric overhead POTS wiring which has long since run out of working line pairs. They break a working circuit every other time they fix a broken one. It is that fragile!

Lack of mains gas and overhead wired phone and electricity is a very good proxy in the UK for having stone age wet string wired internet.

The ones on offer locally are not that fast. The basic cheap consumer service is 20MB each way and then 200MB but that gets a bit pricey. BT admits defeat here and have offered some ADSL customers I know a cut price deal on 4G based internet service from their mobile network.

That is how our local microwave service started in the village where there is 1960's corroded aluminium to copper joints rectifying all the RF ADSL signals into harmonic distortion oblivion. Getting a 256k downlink there on ADSL is something of a challenge. BT bust a gut to install FTTC there to cut the legs off the microwave guys but by then the farmers had all bought in and have dishes mounted high up on the apex of their barns to get clear line of sight. Capital cost is higher but it seems pretty reliable once it is aligned and working.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown wrote in news:qorm2o $8dd$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

That is what *I* said, idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Hmm, these family photos seem to be videos and they all are about somebody named "Daddy Bear." Yikes, this doesn't seem like appropriate parenting at all!!

Reply to
bitrex

No problem to Canada unless some duckhead decides to inspect for illegal images, in which case it might be slightly delayed. Choose your description accordingly.

--
Spehro Pefhan
Reply to

That's ISDN PRI, which is not the only kind of ISDN, I think he actually means BISDN

Jasen Betts

Even so ISDN was pretty much phased out in the UK when SystemX&Y concentrators were retired. It is now BT 21CN MSAN to IP backhaul.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

Use brown envelopes. White envelopes go into the mail sorting machines where letters move around 270 degree turns on belt pulleys.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

if you omit the usb shell they are even thinner

Jasen Betts

one of these might suit your needs:

rapidshare.com, deposifiles.com, mega.nz, sendowl.com, wetransfer.com.

Jasen Betts

Jasen Betts