OT?

I need to send 40GB of photos to several people. My upload speed is .230 MB/s. It seems to me my best bet is to mail them a flash drive. Any tips on mailing them

1st class mail? Any problems mailing them to Mexico and Canada? I live in Texas. Nothing illegal just common family type images. Thanks
Reply to
gray_wolf

Often people's download speed is much higher than upload. In cases like this, files are often uploaded to some cloud storage or file transfer service, so you need to upload it only once, you can send them an e-mail containing the required info to download the files. Of course 40GB is still an appreciable amount of data, some people may have download caps that prevent them from downloading it. You can consider to shrink the photos using one of the available programs that can do this. Today people often have photos in native camera resolution that take several MB per photo, while a simple snapshot for family usage can be compressed to 200kB easily without anyone noticing. When you upload both versions as a separate collection, those that want high quality can download the large one.

Mailing flash drives in a normal envelope usually leads to disaster, due to mechanical processing of the mail. You will need to mail them in a sturdy envelope (carton, tyvek) and be sure it is handled as a package, not a letter.

Reply to
Rob

Rob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@xs9.xsall.nl:

This job is pretty hardy... Should work with an ordinary padded envelope.

The 64GB is at 200MB/s and the 128GB is at 300MB/s. Both are very nice, and the case is very strong.

Using an online server has a cost at the GB level you are at.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:qopc7v$1tkn$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

That should have been prefaced with "I think", as in I think they charge after a certain point.

So, some may even have 1T available free, but ISTR (from years ago tho) that the limit is like 10GB or such free and money for more. The number may be higher now.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Upload from somewhere with a much faster connection - 230k seems awfully slow. My rural wet string was good for 448k on ADSL and went up to 1M when ADSL 2+ was rolled out and that is on antique corroded copper.

You need to check the allowed thickness and weight to qualify as a letter. Jiffy bags work OK especially if you put the USB thumb in a hole cut into a piece of thick corrugated cardboard to protect it. Amazon often send them in thin card "frustration free" packaging and most survive OK. I have had some nearly fall out of their delivery box.

You might want to cut the size down to 32GB since they are presently about the sweet spot for cheap USB drives. I quite like this Sandisk blade for distributing bulky content. Smaller than most.

If you know the recipients can handle them then sD card cuts the size and weight down to something you can include inside a Christmas card.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown wrote in news:qopcub$162$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

You sure that was "on copper"?

Oh and cable modems have ALWAYS had a slower up-fiber connection that their down rate. Those were original choices made by the cable provider back when motorola and they made the spec.

My Cox connection started out as only 150kb/s back in the late '90s.

I can now up at nearly 500Mb/s

DL is at 100Mb/s (actually more).

A piece of cardboard does NOT "protect" a USB stick in an envelope. Several mm of card stock hard laminated together with a necting cup in it would, but ordinary corregated cardboard box stuff? No way.

Naaah... 64GB is now. And they are faster usually.

I have been buying Samsung as I feel that sandisk has dropped the ball on good package design. They also do not always live up to their speed claims either. I guess if the initial burst is at a certain rate, that is what they claim.

snip

Tiny micro-SD flash chips are the smallest form factor.

Hard USB drives can be great devices as gifts because they can be carried around in a pocket and further utilized by the recipient after the initial content delivery. Two gifts in one. They also plug right into smart TVs so the recipient can plug it right in and start veiwing photos.

The only issue I see is that as USB-C is phased in. I have dual I/O drives (sticks) for that, and that drive connects to newer phones directly.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rob, Thanks for your reply! My down load speed is 2.7 MB/s on a fast connection. Thankfully I don't upload much. I did spend 36 hours sending some stuff to my brother's NAS ftp server. Got some mail from Google Fiber yesterday saying high speed fiber is coming but didn't give a firm date.

That's what I was looking for safe packaging info. I only need to send three at the moment. The thought occurred that perhaps I could rent some tine on a fast ftp server but search didn't turn up any thing. Thanks again.

Reply to
gray_wolf

y slow.

SL 2+ was

er. Jiffy

iece of

n card

y fall

out the

B007PYBNSC/

nd weight

Martin, Thanks for the reply! I thought about the SD cards. I'll check on the peoples hardware and skill level. I can cut the size down. You'd think most peopl e would know a nerd that could help with an SD card. Thanks for the packaging tip s.

Reply to
gray_wolf

Some USB drives are really thin. The Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9 has a strong metal case, costs only $6.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

gray_wolf wrote in news:NgYrF.60704$ snipped-for-privacy@fx12.iad:

You can use a smaller, free server, and simply upload a partial archive (some of the files). Tell the recipients to let you know once they have them, then delete those and upload the next block. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

gray_wolf wrote in news:GpYrF.60705$ snipped-for-privacy@fx12.iad:

Most laptops have SD reader slots, so a micro-sd chip would need to go in the usually also provided carrier that restores the original form factor, which is what the laptops incorporate.

The newer, thin laptops and 'notebooks' have 'chip slots' in most of them that no longer needs the larger carrier.

And of course, the chips usually also can be plugged into one's phone, if it is not a Clinton era Blackberry or such.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Thanks! That looks just the ticket. Don't suppose the post office would kill it?

Reply to
gray_wolf

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:qopl8i$18k4$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

I just thought of a way to get a larger overall storage capacity.

Have you three recipients and yourself create an account on said service. Then share your passwords with each other, then YOU, as the person needing to pass the archive to all, log onto each and upload partial blocks of the complete archive to each. Then each recipient then logs onto each and DLs the data. The more folks involved, the bigger the capacity. Albeit slightly more labor intensive on the collection side. Your recipients need to decide if they want 40GB on their drive or would having it on a stick be a better choice anyway.

As far as the small free server utilization capacity idea goes though...

Easy, peasy, stack 'em up sleazy...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

gray_wolf wrote in news:mVYrF.635361$ snipped-for-privacy@fx46.iad:

Unless it is made from lead or DU, and you only put one stamp on it.

You'd (apparently) be amazed at what gets put into an envelope and sent USPS.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Absolutely. If it was on fibre even part of the way then I would have about 5MB like they do in the next village. And equally if there was any aluminium copper joints in the signal path I'd be lucky to get 256k.

UK isn't strong on cable modems except in the cities. Cable TV was very late in the UK compared to many other countries. ADSL was slow to arrive here and for a long while was limited to 2Mbps down 448k up.

There is a sort of double layer stuff that is about right for the job. Amazon quite often put them in the mail unprotected!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown wrote in news:qopobj$1n6r$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Cannot aggree.

ADSL from the get go was digital, and that meant ISDN from your first hop out and back. So *your* last link drop was copper, but the first switch house it hit was ISDN and fiber from that point forward. That started (being put in) in 1988.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

We have microwave service at work, for internet and phones. It's line of sight to another dish maybe 1/4 mile away. We pay for 50+50 mbps and get close to 500+500.

To get fiber, we would have had to pay to dig up a block of sidewalk.

The microwave dishes are astounding. The pair has RJ45s and acts like a piece of CAT6 at 1 GBPS. The pair of dishes costs something incredible like $140.

There's a small village north of here that had no internet service so one guy got a dish pair and connects to the other side of Bodega Bay, and provides data for his neighbors.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Unfortunately, when you Google, Monkey Brains Dish, you get ... dishes of monkey brains, uggh!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

MB/s.

ling them

n Texas.

Wow, that's 44 hours of upload time. Still not inconceivable. However, it 's still a bear even with typical higher speed connections like 10 or even

100 Mbps. Your speed is actually 2 Mbps, so at the low end, but not ridicu lous.

I was going to suggest you use the link at your local library or coffee sho p, but unless they have a seriously high speed link you would still be ther e for hours.

Yeah, for 40 GB I suspect the flash card or USB drive is best. A 64 GB SD card can be mailed between two pieces of card stock (cereal box cardboard) in an envelope. Use one of those rather small envelopes or it might end up weighing more than the base 1 oz. Also, use tape to seal the two cards to gether so the SD card won't slide out from between them.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Far out.

I used to climb phone pole guy wires (hand over hand) and pull traps off neighbors' cable feeds. :-)