JLCPCB or PCBWAY panelization

I have another question if anyone has had this done.

I have a small board (1.5 x 1.25in) and each board has (4) very common 0805 parts on it that I would like them to assemble, so it would be nice to have a panelized board with a small qty, 6 or 9pcs -- whatever.

I spent an hour trying to figure out how to order something like this on both sites. (I have used pcbway before for single boards). My software doesn't have an automatic panelization option but I see that on both you can have them panelize? -- anyway, the ordering process has me totally pissed from confusion.

Anyone know how I would go about this in their ordering procedure ? THANKS.

Reply to
mkr5000

Not at all familiar with PCBWAY, but JLCPCB will panelize for a small fee. Are you aware that they drill boards with multiple sheets at once by stacking? Are you planning on more than one panel? I guess they will make single boards, but I expect a single panel to add to the cost over a few boards or at least 3 panels. I think 3 is the magic number for the stack.

They are making your boards on a sheet with others, so any special handling costs more.

JLCPCB has a line item in their quote process for panelizing. It might be free if they do it, but for sure there is a charge for building your panels even if there is no added work for them. Do you care what the panels are arranged? How many boards do you want on a panel? How many panels?

Reply to
Rick C

And if I need to do that, how do I designate the cuts in the art or will they figure it out?

Then there's the assembly part -- their instructions are confusing. Super easy if you just need single boards though.

Reply to
mkr5000

Ok nevermind just saw something that helps on JLB site.

Reply to
mkr5000

I suggest you ask in eevblog.com. There are tons of JLCPCB users there.

Reply to
Rick C

and someone from JLCPCB too

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I tried that with their capabilities info and got nothing useful. I suppose they may be more knowledgeable with the ordering process.

Reply to
Rick C

common 0805 parts on it that I would like them to assemble, so it would be nice to have a panelized board with a small qty, 6 or 9pcs -- whatever.

I've used PCBWAY panelisation, they'll only do rectangualar panelising. Vee groove and route are both available. (if you want some crazy tesselation you'll have to draw that yourself)

Just click "panel by pcbway" and write in the box how you want the panel arranged, eg "3*3" will get you 9 boards on the panel.

When you order assembly if you order fewer than the full number of boards assembled they'll send you the excess boards/panels

Break-away rail is extra board at the edge of the panel, they use this for their allignment marks and tracking numbers.

selecting "X out" means that if some board in a panel is not manufactured correctly they'll draw an X on it and assemble the good boards on the panel. if you don't accept X-out they'll discard partially defective panels and only send full panels. You still get the same number of assembled boards.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

OK Jasen -- good info thanks. I found something that made more sense but it took forever to find the right page. Like many others, way too much information to sort through to find the basic stuff you need.

Reply to
mkr5000

PCBway defintely can do this, I just had a board panelized through them. They have options where you can submit the design to them already step and repeated, or check a box for them to panelize it (panelize by PCBway). Yes, it is not quite as obvious as one might want, but it definitely can be done on their web page.

You may end up having to exchange a few messages with their customer agent to be sure you get exactly what you want.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You've said that twice now, but would you please share which page you found?

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Jon - a question off the track of the subject but... I'm looking for a linux system that can be used as a basic unix style system. You mentioned using dd & du in a message some time ago and I'm hoping you can tell what version of linux you're using. A system in a "USB stick" is attractive also and if you have any suggestions along those lines it would be appreciated.

Hul

---------------------- mkr5000 - if you have an Eagle pc board setup, you can use the group, cut & paste commands to build a "panel board" with as many duplicate boards as desired. Other pcboard programs probably have similar capabilites. Then send the gerber for your (panel) board to the pcb maker and discuss assembley from there.

Hul J> > I have another question if anyone has had this done.

Reply to
Hul Tytus

fredag den 19. marts 2021 kl. 15.47.00 UTC+1 skrev Hul Tytus:

> Jon

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeesh, I use all manner of systems. My main desktop is Ubuntu 12.04, I have great inertia against updating, due to all the old development tools that I run. I use a version of Machinekit on Beagle Bones to run motion systems and my photoplotter, which uses the PRU microcontrollers to spoon-feed bits to the laser in real time.

I have a system running Ubuntu 18.04 for the family and some applications that demand a newer kernel, like the social security Admin., zoom calls and my covid screening at work.

I run some older Debian systems for CNC on my milling machine.

The Beagle Bones use SD cards for "disk" these seem to work OK. I have some doubts a USB stick would perform well or last very long as the "disk" on a general purpose Linux system.

Not sure I have answered your question.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Thanks Jon. I don't think you've ansered my question either, but you've added some pieces to that answer which is appreciated. Do you know if the Debian systems are still available and, if so, where? And, what is "Beagle Bones"?

Hul

J> > Jon - a question off the track of the subject but... I'm looking for a

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Thanks Lasse. I already have a ubuntu system setup though. I'm now looking for a system thats not so much a "media system" and more of a plain jane unix type of system.

Hul

Lasse Langwadt Christensen snipped-for-privacy@f> fredag den 19. marts 2021 kl. 15.47.00 UTC+1 skrev Hul Tytus:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

I think he is talking about the Beagle board line of devices. I think one was called a Beagle Bone and/or a Beagle Bone Black. They were the low cost embedded Linux platform before the rPi hit the streets. They claim to be a better solution for industrial devices. I see a lot of rPi in commercial use.

Reply to
Rick C

Linux is a unix[1] like operating system[2]. As are FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD.

There are *MANY* different Linux distributions. Debian / Ubuntu and Red Hat Enterprise Linux / CentOS[3] are quite popular distributions. Arch / Gentoo[4] are also popular but are for people that want to work on the guts of their Linux distribution.

Solaris[5] is still around and can run on PCs.

There are a lot of options for Linux / *BSD / Unix.

I would probably recommend that you spend some time and at least look at Ubuntu. I think it's probably the most user friendly and most inviting. Debian is quite similar, but has some sharper corners. RHEL & CentOS are more geared for enterprises and decidedly slow to take up new things in the name of stability for the enterprise.

Almost all Linux, and *BSD, distributions have a "Live" CD / DVD / USB drive option. You can download them, write them to a CD / DVD / USB flash drive, boot them, and try them out.

Knoppix and Kali[6] Linux are common live images.

I hope that I answered your question. Feel free to reply in s.e.d. or to my email if you would like to discuss further.

[1] Lower case to avoid any trademark issues. [2] Linux is a kernel. There are many user space programs that make up many -- what is called a -- Linux /distribution/. [3] Red Hat (now owns) CentOS and recently changed it significantly, causing lost of turmoil in the community. [4] I run Gentoo on my main system. I'm replying from there now. [5] Solaris has rights to use the Unix trademark. [6] Kali is geared for hackers, both good and bad. Not the most user friendly.
Reply to
Grant Taylor

fredag den 19. marts 2021 kl. 23.44.42 UTC+1 skrev Hul Tytus:

so install the server version or disable the graphical user interface

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

If you're familiar with Ubuntu, I'd stick with it.

You can use 'tasksel' to remove broad categories of packages from an Ubuntu (and Debian) system.

You can also do a minimal install. I used to use 'debootstarp' for minimal / custom installs.

Reply to
Grant Taylor