OrCAD Offer

Capture & PCB Editor perpetual licence - $530

JM

Offer applies to Europe as well...

Reply to
JM

What does Orcad have to offer that is not available in KiCAD?

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

Orcad does have an autorouter and signal integrity tool. But you can't beat the price of Kicad (FREE!), especially since Eagle freeware is history.

Reply to
Flyguy

As with any FOSS EDA package, the question to ask is "where was 10 years ago? 20? 30?? 40??? And, what capabilities did it have way-back-then?"

If you're a hobbyist and don't have to worry about interfacing with others in your "organization", or supporting designs (which includes symbol and pad libraries) that may have been created 5-10 years ago -- then you have the freedom to choose damn near any tool that your heart desires AND LIVE WITH ITS SHORTCOMINGS going forward.

OTOH, if you have a cache of existing designs (and corporate standards) with which your NEW design has to seemlessly integrate, then you may find yourself rebuilding symbol libraries in instead of just adding one or two new symbols to the OLD library for this new design.

I found OrCAD (Capture & Layout) to be tolerable tools. Like most EDA tools, they have their quirks. But, do a couple of designs in them and you learn what to avoid, which tricks to leverage, etc. At the time, hot-probing schematic/PCB and seeing the corresponding traces/signals in PCB/schematic was a delight. It's what originally led me to using multiple monitors for my desktop (as a "full screen" window for Capture AND Layout make much more sense than silly little stacked windows into each!) But, I imagine this is old-hat for more recent users.

[But, then again, I found DASH-STRIDES and DASH-PCB to be tolerable; esp given the dearth of other affordable tools available on the PC platform back then! Especially hierarchical design!]
Reply to
Don Y

That was a long post to say so little.

You start out talking about some sort of history lesson without actually sa ying anything.

Then you seem to be dissing the KiCAD capabilities without actually mention ing any.

So you don't like converting between systems. Who does? But this is not a bout maintaining the status quo really, its about the offer from Orcad vs. KiCAD, so let's stick to the issues of the tools. I hope you realize the w orld doesn't use Orcad exclusively. Not everyone would have to convert fro m Orcad.

Then you finish up with a mention of a feature found in Orcad without even mentioning if it exists in KiCAD.

Wow! You would be one terrible salesman. I'd be washing my hand after you shook it, if I shook yours at all.