ORCAD background color change

I just knew I had done it, because I absolutely despise black backgrounds... almost as much as I hate white text on a blue background ;-)

I never attempted to tweak anything other than the color palette. ...Jim Thompson

I actually liked the black background.

As Spehro mentioned, the real danger was tweaking the frame rate and number of lines. Losing a $200 graphics card is one thing but having the flyback xfmr of a $2k monitor go phseeeeoooouuu ... phsssst ... *PHOOF* was quite another.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

My last few CRT monitors were multi-sync... unfortunately so heavy it took two people to move them ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Possibly silly question: In a $2k monitor, would it have really cost very much (relatively speaking) to prevent the flyback transformer from frying?

Is it the core going into saturation that kills them (overheating leading to insulation being lost and eventually shorting) or too high output voltage (leading directly to shorting)?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

WHAT BORIS SAID. You're not paying attention. What driver would you like?

And, they're all available in the files area. Life is good. OrCad lives on, and produces.You don't need dosbox under XP. Don't know about W7. Sorry if this does not address the OP's question directly, but actually it does.

-Peter

Reply to
Peter McMullin

DOSBox allows one to use vesa drivers, and it also can translate between a driver and your actual card, which almost always differs these days.

A straight XP DOS window, which not everyone has, does not necessarily allow such behavior. Very few of the cards in the list are still in use at all. Even though I own a few, that is beside the point. XP doesn't run on the machines that those cards do run on.

Reply to
Pieyed Piper

No, but it would probably have caused the BOM budget limit to be exceeded by 15 Cents :-)

I don't know, maybe some sort of resonance. What people described was that it "hissed", kept working for a while, and then p...p..popp ... poof.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg should hire himself out as a sound effects man for the movie industry... put all that hissing, popping, poofing and "phuting" to go use ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Then a resounding Ka-Ching! (or so I hear).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Aggravated by the fact that you could not easily buy a spare HV flyback transformer for a computer monitor. With TV sets they could be had for $30-$60, usually. Ok, sometimes you had to pretend you were a TV repair pro and don a white coat, or send a friend to buy it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

Back when I bothered to repair my own stuff I'd just call my father. He would recite the chassis number and the failure mechanism, and send me the part, along with exact instructions ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I can picture that. "Now, son, listen up! This ain't no chip design where you type something into a computation machine and lean back, this is real work ..."

My dad regularly gave me lectures when I, for example, showed up to our oh-so-much-fun oil furnace repair sessions. Armed with nothing but a pipe wrench and a hammer. "You electrical guys aren't supposed to handle every screw with a pipe wrench ..."

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

THe guy I worked for in college was like that. He'd get telephone calls all day. The caller would give him the make, model, and symptom and he'd recite the chassis numbers, parts to change (including part numbers for the common stuff) back to the person calling. Amazing.

Reply to
krw

The original monochrome monitor used on the early IBM PCs would die if it lost horizontal drive. That is why PC/XT power supplies had a switched power outlet for monitor. I had a couple damaged by customers that way. Needless to say, the replacement monitors were more ID10T proof.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

=20

but=20

I expect that the "support" for the short list of cards amounts to = providing=20 emulations of them. Not a promise to use them.

Reply to
JosephKK

The drivers and the list were made before the term 'emulation' was even used in the CAD industry. It was a single session world.

Reply to
Pieyed Piper

know=20

but=20

these

necessarily

use

providing=20

even

Gibberish from the unwilling to read.

Reply to
JosephKK

You're an idiot. There is no support. It is a dead application. It died way back when the hardware it runs on died, so the list is of that hardware, dipshit. Promise us you'll try to have a brain in your next life. Your peanut gallery horseshit is what is gibberish.

Reply to
life imitates life