Online Dictionaries Suck

I was reading about the new coronavirus and the article talked about homolo gues in the context of the RNA coding for several proteins which have no kn own "homologues". I tried looking up the word to understand the precise me aning and found this sort of definition across the board.

?/ Learn to pronounce nountechnical plural noun: homologues

a homologous thing.

So I Googled "using a word in its own definition".

"A word is autological or homological if it describes itself."

So I guess a homologue is defined to be a self defining definition using th e word homologous to define homolog.

It's not me. The world is crazy!

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Check.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I guess caused by an aversion of US dictionaries to define h*mo (Greek) meaning "same". You want homologous series in the chemistry sense here.

Basically compound patterns containing the same functionality with trivial variations in some other almost irrelevant parameters.

Proteins "with no known homologues" is a rather long winded way of saying unique to that genome (as far as is presently known).

Canonical homologous series being the homologous alcohol series R-OH:

Methanol, ethanol, propanol, butanol, etc...

Sometimes you need to ask the right question of a dictionary.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

mologues in the context of the RNA coding for several proteins which have n o known "homologues". I tried looking up the word to understand the precis e meaning and found this sort of definition across the board.

??/

g the word homologous to define homolog.

Yeah, I know that. But in the context of a viral protein I believe the use of the word is a bit of jargon with a meaning a bit more detailed or at le ast conveying more meaning that the simple example you provided. I'm not c ertain they are saying what you seem to be saying, a "protein unique to tha t genome" as every protein is unique to a genome, there's nearly a one to o ne mapping if you ignore multiple codons for a given amino acid. I think t hey are saying these are proteins that have not been seen before or anythin g close to it. Proteins often have small variations between species or eve n within a species while having the same function.

Anyway, this was about the absurdity of using a homologue of the word in th e definition of the word homologous and finding this is VERY common. What' s wrong with these people??? Next they'll stop using land lines and drive electric cars!!!

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

The thing that gets me is that for some reason none of the online dictionaries define 'gullible'.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Martin Brown wrote in news:r09152$1nos$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Sometimes you should choose the right dictionary.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Clive Arthur wrote in news:r09gk5$v0e$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

My own anecdotal evidence suggests that online definitions fall somewhere in the middle.

My printed _Oxford Dictionary of English_ definition of /homologue/ matches the online homolog definition shown above word for word: /noun/ a homologous thing.

The online

definition provides greater detail:

n. Something that is homologous, as an organ, body part, or gene.

My printed _Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary_ contains the most comprehensive definition for the word /homologue/.

  1. any homologous organ or part; an organ similar in structure, position, and origin to another organ, as the front flippers of a seal and human hands. See /analogue/. 2. in chemistry, one of a series of compounds, each of which is formed from the one before by the addition of a constant element or a constant group of elements, as in the homologous series CH4, C2H6, C3H8, etc.; called also /homologen/.
[Two dimensional structural formulas for propane, butane, and pentane, shown over the caption /Homologues./]

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

The problem seems to be that online dictionaries only give you a peephole view. So a 'homologue' is a 'homologous thing', and the entry just preceding that on the printed version then tells you what 'homologous' is, but you don't get to see that unless you look for it. Yeah, that sucks.

Translated from the Greek, it means something like 'same reason', 'same ratio', 'same word', 'same argument'. You already knew, I guess.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

logues in the context of the RNA coding for several proteins which have no known "homologues". I tried looking up the word to understand the precise meaning and found this sort of definition across the board.

??/

the word homologous to define homolog.

China is taking care of it:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

?m??l??/

That wasn't the word I was looking up.

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

mologues in the context of the RNA coding for several proteins which have n o known "homologues". I tried looking up the word to understand the precis e meaning and found this sort of definition across the board.

??/

g the word homologous to define homolog.

Don't know what kind of fool would look in the dictionary. The operative id ea here is not a word but a phrase, sequence homology, a term of evolutiona ry biology. His most cluelessness was reading a story which delved into the investigation of the origins of the new virus, especially as it may have e volved from or have similarity to the deadly SARS virus. There is no signif icant connection, it is a new virus.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

homologues in the context of the RNA coding for several proteins which have no known "homologues". I tried looking up the word to understand the prec ise meaning and found this sort of definition across the board.

ing the word homologous to define homolog.

idea here is not a word but a phrase, sequence homology, a term of evolutio nary biology. His most cluelessness was reading a story which delved into t he investigation of the origins of the new virus, especially as it may have evolved from or have similarity to the deadly SARS virus. There is no sign ificant connection, it is a new virus.

Yes, and we all know the new viruses come from snips and snails and puppy d og tails, not other, very closely related viruses that likely had a genetic change coding for a protein in the outer shell which means it triggers new antibodies or some small change in the way it infects.

Nope, it's got to be puppy dog tails.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

t homologues in the context of the RNA coding for several proteins which ha ve no known "homologues". I tried looking up the word to understand the pr ecise meaning and found this sort of definition across the board.

using the word homologous to define homolog.

k)

e.

e idea here is not a word but a phrase, sequence homology, a term of evolut ionary biology. His most cluelessness was reading a story which delved into the investigation of the origins of the new virus, especially as it may ha ve evolved from or have similarity to the deadly SARS virus. There is no si gnificant connection, it is a new virus.

dog tails, not other, very closely related viruses that likely had a genet ic change coding for a protein in the outer shell which means it triggers n ew antibodies or some small change in the way it infects.

This latest one comes from fruit bats.

1add

Usually the reservoir is unaffected by the virus. And since you're kind of batty, I deduce you have nothing to worry about.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

e:

out homologues in the context of the RNA coding for several proteins which have no known "homologues". I tried looking up the word to understand the precise meaning and found this sort of definition across the board.

n using the word homologous to define homolog.

eek)

ere.

H:

ive idea here is not a word but a phrase, sequence homology, a term of evol utionary biology. His most cluelessness was reading a story which delved in to the investigation of the origins of the new virus, especially as it may have evolved from or have similarity to the deadly SARS virus. There is no significant connection, it is a new virus.

py dog tails, not other, very closely related viruses that likely had a gen etic change coding for a protein in the outer shell which means it triggers new antibodies or some small change in the way it infects.

5a1add

f batty, I deduce you have nothing to worry about.

"We still don?t know the source of the disease or how it was transm itted"

They still have not determined the source, just that it is likely "though a mammal at the live meat market".

This one seems less virulent than SARS. Maybe because China is being much more cooperative and working to share information.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Dictionaries are made of words. All definitions are cyclic. Some are more immediately so!

Recursive (n): see recursive

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

mologues in the context of the RNA coding for several proteins which have n o known "homologues". I tried looking up the word to understand the precis e meaning and found this sort of definition across the board.

??/

g the word homologous to define homolog.

By the same argument so is Mathematics and by extrapolation, so is science other than astrology, phrenology and exit polling.

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

logues in the context of the RNA coding for several proteins which have no known "homologues". I tried looking up the word to understand the precise meaning and found this sort of definition across the board.

??/

the word homologous to define homolog.

Here is a new low.

Noun

Rightpondian (plural Rightpondians)

(slang) A Rightpondian person.

You can't use the exact SAME word in a definition!!! You've provided liter ally no additional information.