Where is the xilinx online store gone?

Hi everyone,

As I was buying some components from the Xilinx online store this
morning, I noticed that they no longer support silicon device anymore.
It seems that it is now AVNET that is taking care of distributing
Xilinx FPGA online. The worse thing is that the price is more
expensive, and they do not have all the parts that Xilinx use to offer
(the part I am looking for specially).
Now i've got a few questions for the Xilinx people out there. Is it
really true or if it not, then what is the updated link for your online
section.

Many thanks
Jacques

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?
avnet possible did not like that xilinx sold directly so xilinx had to
remove the silicon devices from their online shop :(
really very bad move !

Antti

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?
Go to digikey.com, and search for xilinx.
The paper catalog has an extremely poor selection of Xilinx FPGAs, but
the web selection is better.
Their search method is awful  :-(
Peter Alfke, from home

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?
Go to digikey.com, and search for xilinx.
The paper catalog has an extremely poor selection of Xilinx FPGAs, but
the web selection is better.
Their search method is awful  :-(
Peter Alfke, from home

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?

If you find Digikey's interface poor, perhaps Xilinx could learn from
this web link ?

http://www.altera.com/buy/buy-index.html

Some other company seems to have found a way to have a web store, and
an (almost)* workable Digikey link ?
-jg

* I tried MAX7000, and get this bemusing response

emp7
"Manufacturer Part Number: 132 phrase not found"

What, nothing at all ?

Funny, phrase not found reported, plus a _specific_ number ?! -
so I click on the 'phrase not found', as that seems to be
a web link, and voila, finally, EPM7xx listings at Digikey!

Strange that, MAX 3000 works fine - so, some wrinkles to iron out here...

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?

A little more on this :
  Seems strange indeed, as the 'phrase not found' seems to be trying to
indicate not in stock. Only devices with MOQs and high ASPs show up.
  Their search button is also called "phrase not found" - oops

  However, if I go straigt to Digikey, there are actually plenty of
EPM7xx in stock, with no MOQs ?!

Altera will be eager to fix that :)

-jg

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?

In that same link, note that Altera is now making the same
mistake with development software that Xilinx is making
with devices. So it goes.

           -- Mike Treseler

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?

Yes, it does smack more of political reflex, than rational thinking.

  Note that Microchip is moving in the _opposite_ direction - they offer
quotes up to 10K, and recently added factory programming flows to their
on-line order flows.
  In other words, they look keen for your business (all volumes), and
seem less under the influence of their distributors.

  I had a quick look at the Avnet link, and "not in stock, XX Weeks" was
common.

  Thus Xilinx sample procurement seems to have fallen thru the cracks, in
this decision.

  -jg

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?
Hello everyone,

Well I have checked on Digikey and they do not have the FPGA we need,
which is the XC3S200-4VQ100C. We have dealt in the past with
Nuhorizons, but we've got some issues with them and we would prefer to
deal directly with god. The Xilinx online shop was next to perfect and
the fact that they were shipping our parts in different shipments was
actually beneficial for us. It saved us on custom and duties that we
had to pay, if we were to receive the parts as a whole. We are a small
startup company and we have long term plans for Xilinx FPGA products.
We had reached the point where we had everything running smoothly, like
after fine tuning your radio receiver to the correct station, but now,
we have to rework everything and adjust everything again. Tonite I am
disappointed with Xilinx. :~(

Jacques

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?
Well, I'll try another attack on our demonstrated stupidity.
I have screamed and hollered for almost a year, and sent e-mails up the
ladder, up to one step below the very top.
Maybe I have to go one stop higher.
Steve Knapp and I are very frustrated about this situation.
Obviously, our company could do much better...
Peter Alfke, from home

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?

Feel free to print out all the comments here and give them
to who ever you need to.

Can't they see that if you loose small sales / prototype quantities
and you competitor looks after that market segment , you are just going to
start bleeding sales
and only be restricted to the large companies.

The small contract designers just stop using xilinx.

But a problem hits a few years down the track, when the large companies
start taking on new
people who prefer to use your competitors tools and devices
as they are familiar with them.

Avnet can be fine for ordering boards and equipment some times but
they are usually quite slow and prefer dealing with large companies.

You guys just want to give sales to Altera , Lattice etc , don't you ?

Alex

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?

Dear Peter,

glad to see you to stick up - let me try to help as much as I can (to rock
the higher boat)

My mother did show me a picture of my dad in the history book of Estonian
Aeronautics.

So the strongest male influence from my young years was one simple word,
from one
teacher in the 'rocket model' hobby club. This word is (its one word in
estonian):

"Decision courage"

I do find this word so good one, so good that it qualifies every male giving
to a child nothing more than this one word as a good father.

Xilinx removing the Spartan-3 (and possible other silicon devices) from
direct online offering is a bad example of

"Decision courage-less" (one word in estonian) behaviour.

No matter if the decision to have Silicon Devices (including Spartan-3) in
online shop was later seen as bad decision, it was that sort of "executive
decision" that has to be kept even if it was a bad decision. Stepping back
from it show the weakness of the Xilinx (executives).

There could be 3 reasons for the withdrawal (3 that I and I think most other
people can figure out)

1) Xilinx sees direct sales as too much "hassle" - well if it is so, then no
matter how much hassle it is, Xilinx should stick to the previous executive
decision (to have the silicon devices in online shop)

2) Xilinx has serious availability and/or yield issues and removing the
devices from its own online shop gives a possibility to try to hide and
mascerade those yield problems - by blaming the distrubutors not having
stock (but devices actually being available). Needless to say that all that
kind of 'mascerade' attempts are silly and dont fulfill its purpose at the
end of the day anyway.

3) Xilinx did step back because of pressure of the distributors (mainly
Avnet?) - if that was the reasons then it again demonstrates nothing more
than the weakness of Xilinx as global company and the weakness (decision
courage-less) of Xilinx executives.

As of current the status of Xilinx silicon availability is getting worse -

1) Digikey should not be considered as source for Xilinx, they have some
items in stock but what they have is very random, and items that they used
to have may not be available any more any day (specially those you need when
you need).

2) I have never dealt with NuHorizons, but all I have heard is only
problems. To my emails I have never had any response from NuHorizons, so I
am not considering them for anything.

3) I have had several issues with Memec before they merged into Avnet, there
is no memec so no more issues :)

4) My only purchase from Avnet was 6 month late (despite order
confirmation). Others have expressed the Xilinx parts availability situation
from Avnet worse than from Memec

Thats are the 'sources' for Xilinx components.

Altera has direct online shop, with pretty much pricing and atock info for
latest parts - everyone finds that a very good thing. Not to mention that
everyone I have talked too, have said pretty much one thing - Altera's
software is just simply getting better. Better and better every
release/udpate.

Lattice has no direct online orders, but the stock at disties like Mouser
also for latest parts (machXO, XP) is checkable with a few mouseclicks. Also
other distributors claim immediate fom stock delivery (what I can also
confirm personally having received the parts).

Xilinx has greatly imrpoved the price/perfomrance ration of Xilinx own
evaluation boards after overpriced ML300 so my current primary source for
Xilinx eval boards would be Xilinx direct (online shop), having the silicon
devices orderable as side orders, would be real good thing. If they arent,
well Altera has all from one shop.

Similarly as others have said already, the lack of silicon devices in oline
shop is just another drop to choose alternative vendors.

And dear Xilinx, an even an ocean is made of single drops of water. It's
hard to tell when last drop falls that makes the decision scale to turn over
(in favor of competitive products). But every drop makes that possibility
(of such decisions) closer.

Antti Lukats,
Xilant Tecnologies

PS we will have some (FPGA related product) to launch soon (within 8 weeks
max)

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?

Which is surprising to me, considering that the initial HDL support
on MAXplus2 was the Subaru 360 of CAE :)
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/360van-sideview3.jpe

Last year, at my local ski hill, there were 14 ski schools.
This year, all but 5 were sent packing. Next year there
will be only one ski school.

               -- Mike Treseler

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?
On a sunny day (Sun, 16 Apr 2006 07:28:31 -0700) it happened "Mike Treseler"

Would be a pity if only Altera was left, as a bit of competion improves quality
and lowers prices.

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?

If you want to give an example of someone who has got it right :
http://www.microchipdirect.com /

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?

I'm glad you see it this way.

Further ammunition, should you need it...

Perhaps those who made the decisions based them on the quality of
distributor service visible to themselves, i.e. in the USA. Which is
fine if Xilinx don't want to be a global company.

Worldwide, things may not be quite so good; a multi-national distributor
like Avnet insists you (i.e. the customer) deal with their national
division, who operate to nationally accepted standards. Which, in the
case of the UK, means a quality of service somewhere between Fawlty
Towers and the Dead Parrot sketch.

Now I don't want to attack the idea of local distribution, and happily
use it where I can. But (for just one real example) having been quoted a
seven week lead time for a critical component, is it better to wait
patiently with a stalled project, or order it online (ex-stock!) and
continue working?

- Brian

Re: Where is the xilinx online store gone?

But avnet won't give samples unless your a large
company otherwise you have to purchase them.

If only they had some chips with a bit more grunt
like an arm7 .

A lot of manufacturers need to learn from microchip.

Philips is quite good, but depends on your local distributor.

Simple , avoid using xilinx parts.
Use the companies that want your business.

If the management is to stupid to realise if people
can't get small quantities for prototyping and designs
especially for those doing contract work, we won't use their products,
bad luck ,that is their problem.

Might take a few years to have a budget impact.

Alex

Petition about the xilinx online store ?

hi everybody,

maybe we can do a petition about this xilinx store ?...
i'm French user and i can affirm that Avnet France, preferer (to not says
want ) only big customers ..
they are slow and expensive.. totaly incompatible with prototype phase.

Maybe Xilinx prefer that we try Lattice or others parts ?...

i'm realy not happy against that problem. they can be take example from
Microchip & sample service ...

( sorry for my bad english ! )

Regard's
Philippe

Re: Petition about the xilinx online store ?
Hi Philippe,

I am totally for that. Like im sure if we could get like 10,000s names,
then we would have achieve something. I was thinking about how they
took the decision of removing the online shop. Just recently, I noticed
that they added the PROM section to the online shop. This lend me to
believe that at one point, they were actually promoting and saw a
future for online shopping, but something happened that made them took
a 180 degrees U turn. I wouldnt be surprised if in late March 2006, the
big bosses of Xilinx and Avnet had lunch in one of these fancy and they
decided: Hey let's do something really bad, let's take out the online
shop. And I am pretty sure that it was instigated by Avnet.

Yesterday, I was checking out their shipping policy and the way they do
business for international customers. Avnet ask that you purchase a
minimum order of $500, if you are from outside the states or canada.
Cmon people, you would get 50 x XC3S100 for that price and this isnt
prototyping anymore. Then, when I think that Xilinx advertise on their
site, in big, brite and bold: "WorldB4%s Lowest Cost FPGAs - now
available in prototyping quanties from Avnet"... ironical isnt it,
makes me wonder where we are heading. Lets face it, we have a problem
here and we should find a solution, and quick. Now, Peter and al, you
should advise us of the possible moves that we've got in order to
replace or convice your bosses of getting back our dear online shop.

Jacques

Re: Petition about the xilinx online store ?
Hi Jacques,

i totaly agree with you.
sorry my english is too poor, i can't write all i think !...

effectively, there is a minimum order on Avnet France too ..
and they don't sell directly with a credit card ...
if i want some parts for my personnal use.. i can't now ! :(
only digikey ...

if anybody know how create & manage a petition ...
let's go !

thank's
philippe

snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
[...]

site, in big, brite and bold: "World´s Lowest Cost FPGAs - now
available in prototyping quanties from Avnet"... ironical isnt it,
makes me wonder where we are heading. Lets face it, we have a problem
here and we should find a solution, and quick. Now, Peter and al, you
should advise us of the possible moves that we've got in order to
replace or convice your bosses of getting back our dear online shop.

Jacques

Site Timeline