OK, Who isnt retired here?

I'm holding off on any commentary until I've finished it- first impression is that it does contain substantially useful applications info/insight. It's interesting.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

You know, as you get older you begin to realize that much of what people value is really junk, that some things in life truly matter, some things have enduring value and are worth living for. I'm speaking, of course, about real estate.

John

Are you saying stocks are junk? :-)

Reply to
mrdarrett

The difference becomes apparent when the value drops. On a seashore property you can at least put up a tent.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

The difference also becomes apparent when sea levels rise :)

Tim

--
Did I really still have that sig?
Reply to

They are today. And today the worst performers are my -real estate- investment trust holdings. As I write:

S&P -1.25% SPG -1.96% MAC -2.18% GGP -3.13%

Anything running on borrowed money is getting slammed. And for those real estate "owners" with ARMs this hit will becoming to a neighborhood near you.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

As an economic reality, with dividends mostly history, the stock market is pretty much a betting pool. And the house - the brokers and the pros - are the ones who win.

John

Oh, for people who just like loud noises, I generally recommend a galvanized steel garbage can and a big hammer.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, they ain't making any more dirt!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So put your tent on pontoons. What's the big deal? ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hey! I'm only 49... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Hey Rich.. and the group (Sounds like a Ham Roundtable right now...),

I (2/28/1940) retired but fortunately my wife (2/25/1957) is very much into her career.

So I built a large post-and-beam barn mostly single-handed (counting the crane on my GMC), so have more project space. Truly dangerous.

THEN she decided we should get to see that the World is a lot different that the USA, so she took a job in Africa, where she's the Upper School Librarian at an international school. SO, there's a LOT to do with the school (Electronics, Robotics, Photography) for me. And a little IT consulting. I have a subset of my Lab at 'home' over there, and do some microcomputer development work...

Working with kids is a great part of Retirement: don't miss it!!

And you can make a living working overseas, and experience another culture where you don't SpeakaDaLanguage too good. And YOU'RE the Foreigner..

This is a great era to travel/work/live overseas, if you're a tech-head. Youse Guys are only keystrokes away, and a bout of cluelessness in almost any field can be cured rapidly.

And I get to Come Home to Vermont, like I did (Just Yesterday, just got DSL back up this hour)... for the Summer.

Some of our photos are at

and a look at where we are (aimed at new folks coming there) is at

And I REALLY wish you car guys hadn't reminded me of the 38 Ford Coupe. Sob...

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage (Back ...In The Woods In Vermont for the Summer)

Reply to
terry

I have the picture of my birthplace around here somewhere... a 1936 Ford coupe.

John

Ha!

I figure I get to retire about the same time the sun becomes a cold ball of iron.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Yeah, well, if we're going for weird birthplaces, try a toilet.

My Mon was ready to drop me, but felt like she had to take a dump - they didn't teach girls much about their bodies in those days - and of course, had to pee, as we all do while we're dumping, but got a little concerned when she kept going, and going - that was my amniotic fluid - her "water broke." The nurse said, "Mrs. Grise, you're having a baby."

So I'm proud that I didn't cause my Mom to have any labor pains. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

You're right about the kids. I'm teaching several kids basic electronics and computer repair and networking.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida