Not much press about 2 Navy boats and 10 held by Iran

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno Wrote in message:

Agreed. I'm not sure how anyone could believe such a thing.

The Iranian F-14s have likely been rebuilt and retrofitted many times using both black market second source and indigenously manufacturered parts. There are probably few original parts still on them aside from the airframes.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

I think you don't really know much about how weapon systems work. Our allies can't object to features they don't know are there.

--

Rick
Reply to

It was widely reported on UK TV last night as having been caused by mechanical failure of one of two US boats on a "training" mission leading to them entering Iran's territorial waters and being impounded.

TBH It doesn't sound like good seamanship if they couldn't fix a tow line to the one good boat and stay out of trouble.

Since neither side want to wreck their nuclear disarmament deal it seems highly likely that this time the hapless US sailors will be released quickly without taking their iPhones off them for days.

Time will tell if the US Iran bilateral contacts are up to the job.

It is at present the second most read story on the BBC website today (after a bizarre one about Lego sales policy and the artist Ai Weiwie).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 02:41:14 -0500, rickman Gave us:

You're another guess as you go idiot.

There is no abort signal for a fire and forget self targeting missile.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

LOL

If some Navy higher-ups didn't approve with the deal, things like this might be used to try to torpedo the same.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

But it can't be used if it can't be targeted can it?

--

Rick
Reply to

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 08:34:03 +0000, Martin Brown Gave us:

snipped stupid conjecture.

Oh they do not have their money back yet, so you can bet they are going to let them go.

About what the folks in the UK read... dig this truth.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 04:30:25 -0500, rickman Gave us:

You are just plain dumb.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Interesting story, but 'truth'? From a jewish/islamic religous viewpoint maybe. Fortunately I'm living in a secular state.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

It is all resolved now - which shows the power of the new diplomacy.

Sounds like a combination of navigational error and mechanical failure from the latest updated reports.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Offically.. but unless the 'ally' has the ability to demand software source code for all the components of a system **and** the ability to both compile it and compare with the target code there is no way for them to discover such classified capabilities.

There is a long history of countries turning on their allies once it become convenient to do so, and one must expect that countries would not sell weapons that they cannot easily defeat.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Is her broom still in the shop?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 17:11:12 +0000, Martin Brown Gave us:

Maybe a mechanical failure of the physical navigational gyro.

Big ships have two. Little boats likely only one.

These run about $50k each. $100k if they are in a third party's gear.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:13:20 -0500, Spehro Pefhany Gave us:

We can defeat an enemy even if they have our gear, but we do not need cut-off switches to do it. And there are not any in place.

Ever heard the phrase "the network is the computer"?

If they are not allowed onto our command and control net, they do not get functional gear to work with. No need for circum sized software or firmware to get there. Real simple. You overcomplicate a simple thing.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

No one gets the designs, they just get systems and parts for maintenance. Heck, I was working at one company making push to talk radios (they don't like to call them walkie-talkies and I think of them as iPhones on steroids). We were providing an older design to the Brits for a UAV. It took several months to get permission to ship a unit overseas with lots of red tape. There is nothing classified in these things, but they are still regulated under ITAR.

All our aircraft have IFF systems and the weapon systems we sell can't fire on our own aircraft. We also have the ability to send signals through the radars to completely disable them. At least that is what I was told by the guys in the next cube designing the weapons. I was working on other stuff at the time.

--

Rick
Reply to

Really? So the military isn't subordinate to the political leaders? Not in the countries we are worried about.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 19:25:35 -0500, rickman Gave us:

A rogue friendly simply gets designated as such and the the system has no problem "firing on them".

The tanks that we friendly fire killed in the gulf war did not stop the chopper pilot from hellfiring their ass up. And they had IFF designators too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Didn't need to. Without a constant stream of spare parts, the F14s were useless (F14s aren't unique).

Reply to
krw

}snip{

In an ideal world: yes. And formally also yes. The US, as the rest of the world, is not an ideal world.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

Except many are still flying, and likely will be until 2030?

They have (had?) a nuclear weapons program, and produce much of their own military equipment natively (though often based on foreign designs.) You think they can't hack together some replacements for a few dusty old 1970s US interceptors?

Iran is, you know, an industrial nation, capable of like...building their own parts.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/