pretty OT: boats

Up here in the country, I see a lot of motor boats parked in driveways. I suspect that most are seldom or never used.

I got curious about cost. Seems like a dinky outboard motor costs $1000, and some are $8K or $25K or even $45K. And a serious speed freak will hang three on the stern.

I can envision some domestic discord.

--

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

You do know that the classic definition of "boat" is a hole in the water which you pour money into...

Reply to
Bill Martin

Or a Tesla on water. Status symbol.

Reply to
Edward Lee

I think you have something there...next Musk product will be an electric submarine...oops, it's been done already!

Reply to
Bill Martin

Well, Musk will be ordered to make military vehicles/boat/submarine for CCP. Otherwise, his factory will simply be communized.

Reply to
Edward Lee

Oh, and ICBM targeting his home in California.

Reply to
Edward Lee

Yeah. Drug runners have been using them.

Reply to
John S

So was the electric car.

RL

Reply to
legg

"Why buy a sailboat when you can throw your money directly into the water?"

--

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

onsdag den 9. september 2020 kl. 23.55.36 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

in many places having a sailboat has the bonus that you'll be wet and cold while doing it

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The primary two high point milestones of owning a boat?

  1. Buying it
  2. Selling it
--
Cheers,
Chris.

RVs might go on that list too. I've had motorcycles for years so I can't holler too loud. There's that admonition in Matthew about the speck and beam.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I forgot. There's an old saying that the only difference between men and boys is the price of our toys.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

My brother bought a used 15' motor boat for ~$2.5k Used for fishing andd beer drinking with the boys. (no girls allowed. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I used to have a half-interest in a 24' wooden sailboat, marina'd in Lake Pontchartrain. Girls were the main point.

--

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

I've got a little sunfish sailboat... yeah girls are more than welcome. :^)

Still three men in a boat with poles and beer can be a great time*. I caught a nice sized walleye in Silver lake, my $25 dollar fish. ($25 is the cost of the fishing licence.) George H.

*There was one summer ~1990 where I was only working part time and many days were spent out on lake Erie with 'the codger' (family friend) and my old man. The codger was a good fisherman. Dad and me, not so much so.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah, with a fibreglass boat you can keep it looking nice for decades. My Hobie 16 was 20 years old when I bought it for $1200 and 29 when I sold it on eBay for $1k. (I did buy a swoopy new trailer for $750 and a new trampoline for $150, so my TCO was about $120 per year not counting boatyard space.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, My bro's boat is a ~40 yr old aluminum Lund. I helped him rip up some of the floor boards to look at the leaking gas tank... left in place. (not used)

Hobie 16! I've never sailed a catamaran. The fun part of a small sailboat is enough wind to sail along the 'edge'.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hobies are great fun, but they don't tack too well--there's way more side slip than in a keel boat. I could have spend more money and got a Prindle with daggerboards, which would have sailed upwind much better, but I wanted my kids to be able to run it up on a shingle beach without sinking it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Motors are not cheap. The typical pattern for boats is they get used a lot the first year. Second year not as much. Third year even less. But it c ertainly depends on the owner and the situation. Even if a boat is used ev ery other weekend, that's still relatively not very often compared to using your car every day.

It's not entirely unlike the way some people only use their brains every th ird day.

I wonder what makes you think the boat isn't a route to domestic tranquilit y? When the motor is roaring pulling a skier there's not much to argue abo ut.

Heck, I was out just last weekend on my neighbor's boat with some 8 or 9 ot her people, a party barge. You won't see it parked in a driveway. It sits in the water all the time unless it is roaring.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C